PDA

View Full Version : [Comics] - Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews - Year 2 - Week 9

Everlost_MI
02-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Welcome to week nine of Evil Avatar’s Weekly Comic Book Reviews.

The Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway for week nine is Exiles #77 courtesy of BCBcomics (http://www.bcbcomics.com/). The deadline of entry submissions for week nine is midnight EST on Sunday, March 5th. The selection of the random winner for the March books will occur on Monday, March 26th. Click here (everlost_mi@evilavatar.com) to submit your entry and don’t forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname. Remember, you can submit one entry each week to increase your chances of winning.

If you’re tired of missing out on your regular or new comics then you’re in need of a reliable comic book subscription provider. Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway provider, BCBcomics (http://www.bcbcomics.com/) offers comic book subscriptions (http://www.bcbcomics.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=7
) with many fringe benefits including no hidden costs, 30-35% off of cover price (depending on the publisher), all issues are bagged and boarded and cheap* shipping on all orders (*see BCBcomics’ website (http://www.bcbcomics.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=7
) for the details).

In addition, the comics featured on BCBcomics home page are 50% off or just $1 if you’re a subscriber.

Remember, these are NOT spoiler-free reviews.

Everlost_MI
02-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Week Nine:
Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews – Year 2 - Week 9
By Everlost_MI (Brian K. Nichols), Editor in Chief

Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk #2 of 6
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Writer: Damon Lindelof
Artist: Leinil Francis Yu
Colors: Dave McCaig
Letters: Chris Eliopoulos
Editor: Ralph Macchio
Price: $2.99 US/$4.25 CAN

http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/ultimatewolverinehulk2.jpg

This issue fills the gaps of how Bruce Banner escaped from his death sentence by the means of a nuclear bomb and what he’s been doing since his escape that led to the events in the first issue of Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk. Some of the gaps include his constant obsession over Betty and each attempt in contacting her only causes the Hulk to emerge. Banner tracks down the Panchen Lama who he believes can help cure him of the anger that causes the Hulk to appear. The Lama suggests that perhaps it’s the Hulk that turns into Banner, not the other way around. The issue ends with the promise of the fight that’s only been shown as fleeting glimpses in the initial issue.

Damon Lindelof has picked up where Mark Millar left the Hulk in The Ultimates without missing a beat. The intelligent and slightly humorous storyline is told with excellent characterizations and enjoyable dialogue. Leinil Francis Yu’s artwork is top shelf with great attention paid to the details of the characters as well as the backgrounds. The panel layouts are exceptional as they add to the script’s drama and action. Dave McCaig’s coloring is a perfect match for Yu’s artwork as it compliments and accentuates instead of overshadowing.

Bottom Line:
The issue was extremely enjoyable as it filled in the gaps since readers last saw The Hulk in the Ultimates series. Lindelof has some nice nods to the previous television and comic incarnations of Bruce Banner with the use of David and Bixby during the various flashbacks. Fans of the Ultimate and main (616) Marvel universes would be doing themselves as disservice by not picking up this issue and the series as whole.

Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5 EvilEyes
http://www.evilavatar.com/images/icons/e4_5.jpg

Captain America #15 (An ongoing series)
Writer: Ed Brubaker
Art: Mike Perkins
Color Art: Frank D’Armata
Letters: VC’s Joe Caramagna
Editor: Tom Brevoort

http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/capamerica15.jpg

The issue picks up on the subplot of Crossbones kidnapping Synthia Schmidt, the Red Skull’s daughter, from a hidden S.H.I.E.L.D. facility that was started during the Winter Solider story arc. The origin and history of Synthia Schmidt is revealed as Crossbones deprograms her from the S.H.I.E.L.D. brainwashing back into the hate machine she was evidently bred and raised for.

Ed Brubaker has crafted another great issue in the pursuit of bringing the Red Skull and her daughter back to the forefront of being Cap’s greatest adversaries but with teeth this time. The artwork by Mike Perkins and Frank D’Armata is gritty and textured as it brings Brubaker’s script to life.

Bottom Line:
Brubaker is doing a great job of putting Captain America and his classic rogue gallery back on the map in the main Marvel Universe. Especially the potential that can be explored with what he’s done with to the Red Skull is quite intriguing and exciting. If you’re an occasional Captain America or Ed Brubaker fan then take the time and pick up an issue of the series, you will be pleasantly surprised. Brubaker’s interpretation of Captain America is of a man who’s seen the values and people he held dear ripped away and destroyed. Now he’s left with the pieces and is forced to solider on, the best way to sum up this treatment of Captain America is to quote Indiana Jones, “It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.”

Rating: 4 out of 5 EvilEyes
http://www.evilavatar.com/images/icons/e4.jpg

Astonishing X-Men #13 (An ongoing series?)
Writer: Joss Whedon
Artist: John Cassaday
Colorist: Laura Martin
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Editor: Mike Marts

http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/astonishxmen13.jpg

This issue opens with the revelation of Cassandra Nova being behind Emma Frost’s acquried ability to transform into a diamond-like substance in order to survive the destruction of Genosha. Emma starts to move pieces of the Hellfire Club plot against the X-Men into play with the initial step of planting nightmares into Kitty’s head. It appears that Emma is hesitating a bit in executing these moves because of her love for Scott. Meanwhile, Scott seems to be in denial about Emma’s recent actions on the battlefield at the end of the last storyline as he tries to avoid her as much as possible. A bit of interaction between Agent Brand of S.W.O.R.D. and Director Hill of S.H.I.E.L.D. occurs as the mutants and the X-Men still bear watching according to Brand/S.W.O.R.D. Kitty and Piotr re-establish their romantic relationship as Logan attempts to take the students under his wing in a makeshift Danger Room excerise with Logan being the Danger Room. Finally, the issue closes with Emma appealing to Scott to come to bed as she’s “dressed” in his favorite outfit, Jean Grey being The Phoenix.

Joss Whedon has begun to make amends for the lackluster sentient Danger Room storyline by amplifying the suspense and drama of Emma’s plans since they were intially revealed in Astonishing X-Men #12. Whedon’s dialogue fires on all cynaliders while the characterizations feel like your favorite pair of old jeans. The pacing is on the mark and the vaious foreshadowing truly whets one’s appetite. John Cassaday’s is a perfect fit for this series with the tremendous depictions of the characters especially in their facial expressions as well as the use of angles and panel layouts to help relay the drama and pace of Whedon’s script. Laura Martin’s coloring helps add additional layers of atmosphere and depth to Cassaday’s artwork as the icing on the cake.

Bottom Line:
Even with the delays of this series and the less than inspired Danger Room story arc, this is one of the better written and drawn main (616) Marvel universe X-Men titles since Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely’s run on New X-Men. If you’re are regular or occasional X-Men fan, this issue and series is worth your time and money. In addition, I feel Morrison’s New X-Men run is worth the time and money in reading in either single issues or trade paperbacks (TPB).

Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5 EvilEyes
http://www.evilavatar.com/images/icons/e4_5.jpg

What else is worth reading this week…

· Ultimate Spider-Man #90 – The Ultimate universe Tinker is introduced as he is forced to work for Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D.

The Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway for week nine is Exiles #77 courtesy of BCBcomics (http://www.bcbcomics.com/). The deadline of entry submissions for week nine is midnight EST on Sunday, March 5th.

Click here (everlost_mi@evilavatar.com) to submit your entry and don’t forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname.

Remember, you can submit one entry per week to increase your chances of winning.

Spigot
02-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Finally, a week of comic reviews where I've already read 2/3rds of the titles. Huzzah!

Isn't Marvel Zombies #4 coming out this week? I'd say that it's definately a worth-reading title.

Keep up the good work.

thecrazyd
02-26-2006, 04:34 PM
This is sort of irrelevant, but comic related. Just wanted to show off this awesome stencil my roommate made. Keep in mind this is a spraypaint and a stencil.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/thecrazyd/Transmet.jpg

Spigot
02-26-2006, 04:51 PM
That is an awesome stencil.

Oh, I found a typo. " a makeship Danger Room " should be " makeshift".

That is all.

Although I have to say that I actually liked the sentient Danger Room storyline from Astonishing X-Men. That's what got me hooked on it. I had never really thought of the Danger Room as being, well, dangerous until then.

Evil Avatar
02-26-2006, 05:24 PM
This is sort of irrelevant, but comic related. Just wanted to show off this awesome stencil my roommate made. Keep in mind this is a spraypaint and a stencil.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/thecrazyd/Transmet.jpg

Holy Spider Jerusalem, Batman! That is freaking awesome.

Cupelix
02-26-2006, 05:33 PM
For anyone who reads the various X titles - any explanation on how the Hellfire club plot from Uncanny a little while ago is supposed to mesh with this run of Astonishing? They seem to be completely at odds - unless we make the assumption that this Astonishing plot happens way before the Uncanny plotline, but that seems strange as well.

Everlost_MI
02-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Isn't Marvel Zombies #4 coming out this week? I'd say that it's definately a worth-reading title.
Keep up the good work.

You are right, MZ #4 does come out this week. More than likely I'll review it instead of adding to the "What else is worth reading this week…"

I prehaps should rename that because it refers to the past week, not the coming week. My mini review, not that my reviews are big to begin with it.

Thanks for the kind words and for catching my mistaking in ship instead of shift. :)

Spigot
02-26-2006, 06:37 PM
You are right, MZ #4 does come out this week. More than likely I'll review it instead of adding to the "What else is worth reading this week…"

I prehaps should rename that because it refers to the past week, not the coming week. My mini review, not that my reviews are big to begin with it.

Thanks for the kind words and for catching my mistaking in ship instead of shift. :)
No prob. I've been on a major editing kick of late. My poor wife has to listen to me proofread the local paper. Yeah, I have no life.

I figured you'd do a proper review of MZ #4 when it comes out as opposed to saying, "Hey, zombiiiiies." I am so hooked on that whole series that I went out and picked up all the UFF's that set it up. Speaking of which, have they said how long the arc is that ties up the UFF/Zombies plotline? I know it starts in issue 29 or 30, but have they said how many issues it'll go for?

Speaking of which, I think it's criminal for them not to include the UFF issues with the zombie plotline in the Zombies trade.

Everlost_MI
02-26-2006, 06:46 PM
No prob. I've been on a major editing kick of late. My poor wife has to listen to me proofread the local paper. Yeah, I have no life.

I figured you'd do a proper review of MZ #4 when it comes out as opposed to saying, "Hey, zombiiiiies." I am so hooked on that whole series that I went out and picked up all the UFF's that set it up. Speaking of which, have they said how long the arc is that ties up the UFF/Zombies plotline? I know it starts in issue 29 or 30, but have they said how many issues it'll go for?

Speaking of which, I think it's criminal for them not to include the UFF issues with the zombie plotline in the Zombies trade.

Hey, it makes you a better reader and writer. I won't say that means you have no life.

Marvel is stating (http://www.marvel.com/catalog/showcomic.htm?id=4145&format=comic) that the storyline is three issues, starting in #30 of UFF. It's anyone's guess unless someone heard/read something from the NY Comic Con over the weekend if that will be the last zombie story in the series. With all the popularity that's been generated, I'd doubt it.

WastelandDan
02-26-2006, 07:18 PM
I've actually got some news about that. I was over at the local comic shop talking about the zombies series with the owner and he said "hey, I saw something interesting about that." He pulled out some preview books they send out to comic shop owners with cover art and synopses of coming issues and the Marvel Zombies story arc is actually continued again in Ultimate Fantastic Four. So it initially starts in issue 21 of Ultimate Fantastic Four, runs for three issues and then goes over to it's own 5 part series as just "Marvel Zombies". It's then continued again in UFF after MZ ends for another three issues. The cover art for the upcoming UFF zombie continuation shows the zombie FF too. Looks pretty good!

Edit: whoop, I got confused. The initial UFF zombie appearance was issue 21 through 23, so yeah, the new ones are going to be issue 29 or 30 through around 33. So if anything what I saw in the shop is just confirmation of what Marvel stated. I'm hoping it's continued for a longer arc also!

Spigot
02-26-2006, 08:02 PM
The Fantastic Zombies are in issues 24 and 27 as well.

I'm thinking that Zombie Reed has something to do with the wierd alternate reality/altered timeline in the current arc as he did mention that he was just waiting for the right time to escape. What better way to do that than to alter reality and get rid of anyone who can stop him? (Of course, I have no idea and am just talking out of my butt here).

Balthasar
02-26-2006, 10:18 PM
"Damon Lindelof has picked up where Mark Millar left the Hulk in The Ultimates without missing a beat."

I had no idea he also wrote comic books in his spare time away from being the co-creator/writer/executive producer of Lost. Unless this happens to be a different Damon Lindelof.

bardockkun
02-26-2006, 10:34 PM
As much as i love those Marvel Zombies, the need for Infinite Crisis is overwhelming... Damn DC for delaying this book and isn't 52 starting next month?

mightbe
02-27-2006, 02:24 AM
I have no books to read now that Book of Lost Souls is over.

Is there anything left that does not have super heroes?

swiftdraw
02-27-2006, 05:30 AM

DMZ is my current fav in that regard. Exterminators and Warren Ellis's Blackgas are also really good.

Edit: To be clear, Blackgas has only 1 issue out (I think) and it has the potential to be very good.

WastelandDan
02-27-2006, 05:48 AM
While some of these books do have super heroes, my current monthly reads are as follows (including limited issue mini-series):

Nightcrawler
Jonah Hex
Fell
Batman: Year 100
anything BPRD or Hellboy
Marvel Zombies
Desolation Jones

Desolation Jones, Fell, and Jonah Hex aren't about super heroes, although in Jones there is an aspect of super powers. You should absolutely read those three, but in particular Fell and Jones. Also Batman: Year 100 is a fucking incredible read and nobody in their right mind should miss it.

Dr.Finger
02-27-2006, 06:28 AM
For anyone who reads the various X titles - any explanation on how the Hellfire club plot from Uncanny a little while ago is supposed to mesh with this run of Astonishing? They seem to be completely at odds - unless we make the assumption that this Astonishing plot happens way before the Uncanny plotline, but that seems strange as well.

Simply said, it doesn't mesh. The line about the Hellfire Club 'is not a strip club' is a refrence to Morrison's use of it but may also relate to the Uncanny arc. Sage is in New Excalibur and clearly not mentoring Sunspot anymore.

And to Everlost - Astonishing will be bimonthly for the next 6 issues, monthly for the 6 after that (including a Giant Sized Astonishing) to wrap up Whedon's run. It will continue after that under another team.

Cupelix
02-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Simply said, it doesn't mesh. The line about the Hellfire Club 'is not a strip club' is a refrence to Morrison's use of it but may also relate to the Uncanny arc. Sage is in New Excalibur and clearly not mentoring Sunspot anymore.
I can't decide whether I like or dislike Whedon essentially blowing off other continuity. On one hand, Claremont's plot about it was completely confusing, and a shitty excuse to write characters in their underwear; so I'm completely willing to give it the finger. At the same time, the editors in the X offices at Marvel shouldn't allow the writers to confuse readers, particularly when they hope that people are reading all of the X titles at the same time. It also makes reading all the titles feel like a larger waste of time than it already does.

MosBen
02-27-2006, 07:22 AM
You know what I'd like to see in this space or the weekly comics discussion is someone telling me if that new Avengers DVD is worth looking into.

Everlost_MI
02-27-2006, 07:37 AM
And to Everlost - Astonishing will be bimonthly for the next 6 issues, monthly for the 6 after that (including a Giant Sized Astonishing) to wrap up Whedon's run. It will continue after that under another team.

Excellent, thank you!

Dr.Finger
02-27-2006, 08:28 AM
You know what I'd like to see in this space or the weekly comics discussion is someone telling me if that new Avengers DVD is worth looking into.

I thought it was mediocre, at best. Full review here. (http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59949)

Kefkataran
02-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Great reviews. Lindelof is really proving himself to be quite the comics writer in addition to the joy that is Lost.

Oh yes it is. And Nextwave #2. And Infinite Crisis #5. And a whole bunch of the first One Year Later books. This is going to be a HUGE week all around.

Crazyd: That thing is AWESOME and my new background.

I had no idea he also wrote comic books in his spare time away from being the co-creator/writer/executive producer of Lost. Unless this happens to be a different Damon Lindelof.

Nope, it's the same guy. This is his first comic, one of Marvel's big "grabbing TV people to write comics" moves. And he's really good it turns out. Another Lost writer/producer, Javier Grillo-Marxuach, is going to be writing a Marvel mini-series, Annihilation: Super-Skrull, starting next month.

isn't 52 starting next month?

No, 52 doesn't start till May. Sorry! I can't wait.

There are millions of comics out there that don't have superheroes. My recommendations? Exterminators and Testament are both great. American Virgin starts this month and looks like it will be awesome (I'll let you know if it turns out). Fell and Desolation Jones are practically must-haves as far as I'm concerned. There's probably more I can think of. I'll keep my eye open.

Already discussed in our earlier comics thread, as Doc Finger so kindly pointed to. :)

earthworm48
02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Can't wait for IC #5. I'm really interested in Nightwing after reading the latest Wizard where he apparently

*Potential SPOILERS*

Takes a leadership role in the crisis in the absense (sp) of the big 3 working together. "Moving out from the shadow of the bat!". I like Nightwing so I would like too see himhave a larger part in the DCU.

*END*

New Y this week, in Japan - new story! Heading for end now. The first OYL books will be dropping in soon (Diamond is missing some names I wanted to pick up that were supposed to hit this week but are probably delayed). In fact IC 5 is not on there.... Batman Annual 25 is something I want to at least read when it eventually hits, to see the Todd explanation.

In other comics relatedness, I got given a copy of the HC Runaways book this weekend, and from what I heard I thought it would be good as its from the Y writer and it is supposed to be a good book. I just didn't get it, it bored me mostly and just didn't strike a key for me, is there something I'm missing or is it simply not for me? I tried Runaways V. 2 no. 13 also and it didn't really suit me. Just seems a little "meh" too me.

Everlost_MI
02-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Kef - glad to see you're back from your wisdom teeth fun. Everything go ok, I assume?

Kefkataran
02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
New Y this week, in Japan - new story! Heading for end now.

Yep, last year of Y is kicking off. Vaughan says he'll probably have a new Vertigo project lined up for once Y is done.

The first OYL books will be dropping in soon (Diamond is missing some names I wanted to pick up that were supposed to hit this week but are probably delayed). In fact IC 5 is not on there.... Batman Annual 25 is something I want to at least read when it eventually hits, to see the Todd explanation.

Diamond hasn't yet been updated for this week. Sometime later tonight it'll be updated. According to DC's site IC#5, Batmana Annual #25, and several OYL books (JSA and Aquaman were of note to me) will be this week. I expect them to be there when Diamond updates.

In other comics relatedness, I got given a copy of the HC Runaways book this weekend, and from what I heard I thought it would be good as its from the Y writer and it is supposed to be a good book. I just didn't get it, it bored me mostly and just didn't strike a key for me, is there something I'm missing or is it simply not for me? I tried Runaways V. 2 no. 13 also and it didn't really suit me. Just seems a little "meh" too me.

Seriously? I dunno why that is, but I adore Runaways and basically everyone I've shown it to has as well (comic readers and non-comic-readers alike). Perhaps you were just expecting something a little more serious and "adult" along the lines of his Y or Ex Machina stuff?

Kef - glad to see you're back from your wisdom teeth fun. Everything go ok, I assume?

Oh yeah, everything was fine. Mouth's still a little sore, but overall it was way better than it could have been.

homunculus
02-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I can't decide whether I like or dislike Whedon essentially blowing off other continuity. On one hand, Claremont's plot about it was completely confusing, and a shitty excuse to write characters in their underwear; so I'm completely willing to give it the finger. At the same time, the editors in the X offices at Marvel shouldn't allow the writers to confuse readers, particularly when they hope that people are reading all of the X titles at the same time. It also makes reading all the titles feel like a larger waste of time than it already does.

I think there are good and bad points in this. Claremont is still suffering from the whole "I hate everything Grant Morrison did and am going to rehash all my old plots so that the X-Men are right where I left them," and as such, everything is loopy. Has anyone even explained what the hell was up with the "Magneto impostor" in New X-Men? Morrison obviously wrote it as the actual Magneto, but then Claremont comes back and, whoops, it was an impostor. If you can't tell, this really annoys the hell out of me.

There is far too much going on in the X-Men universe right now, and much of it is at odds with each other. As far as I'm concerned, Morrison and Whedon are the best things to happen to the X-Men, and as they have both been on the flagship titles for the past couple years, they should be the ones who have the most say in the official canon. Somebody needs to rein Claremont in, essentially. Hell, even in House of M he tried to wrestle the real plotline (Wanda, the struggle at the House of M) away from Bendis with the whole nonsense Captain Britain thing. And for crying out loud, what the hell is the deal with bringing back Psyloche?

I have it, I have the answer. Marvel needs to release an imprint called "Marvel: Claremont Universe." In it, Claremont can rehash and be confusing and nonsensical all he wants. Hell, he can revive Jean for all I care. The important part is that it will be completely separate from what is actually going on in the Marvel universe. This way, whoever keeps buying that garbage can still get their fix of the X-Babies (ugh) while the more intelligent reader can enjoy the more interesting storylines of more gifted writers like Morrison and Whedon without having to worry about Claremont shitting all over the continuity.

Allright, sorry, end rant.

Kefkataran
02-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Personally, from what I've seen and read, it seems like it's Whedon's ability to ignore continuity that is making his run so good. Because he doesn't have to worry about House of M or Civil War or whatever's happening in the X-books, he can do a lot more of whatever he wants which is always a good thing.

Cupelix
02-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Personally, from what I've seen and read, it seems like it's Whedon's ability to ignore continuity that is making his run so good. Because he doesn't have to worry about House of M or Civil War or whatever's happening in the X-books, he can do a lot more of whatever he wants which is always a good thing. Well, to me there's a difference between ignoring continuity (which is bad) and avoiding continuity issues (which is good). Whedon's first two titles avoided flying in the face of continuity because they built on new ideas and characters which no one was dealing with.

However, ignoring continuity to me is doing things such as presenting me with a Hellfire club which is completely different than the status quo of the last Hellfire club I had been presented in another book. That just confuses things, which I find frustrating.

Like I said before, I think it falls to editors of the division to keep things in line - and I don't think they're doing a good job of that at all. The X titles have been mostly a cluster fuck for the past 2+ years, but I can't seem to give up on them, hoping that maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe I'll just have to re-use the bags and boards I've used on Claremont and Milligan's entire runs and use their issues to start fires.

bardockkun
02-27-2006, 02:06 PM
...Marvel comics still has continuity?

AspectVoid
02-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Oh yes it is. And Nextwave #2. And Infinite Crisis #5. And a whole bunch of the first One Year Later books. This is going to be a HUGE week all around.

Shit, 1 Year Later start's this week? I didn't think they started until next week. And damn it, I was hoping to use IC5 to help me decide on my final list of DC titles (for the moment, anyway). This is really annoying to me. :(

Vaginasaurus
02-27-2006, 03:10 PM

Try looking into the Luna Brothers' Girls series. It's currently on it's 10th issue, but you should be able to find a TPB of volume 1 (#1-7, I believe) while picking up the current past issues.

Kefkataran
02-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Shit, 1 Year Later start's this week? I didn't think they started until next week. And damn it, I was hoping to use IC5 to help me decide on my final list of DC titles (for the moment, anyway). This is really annoying to me

Yeah, that's by far the most unfortunate part about IC#5 getting delayed into March -- it means it happens right alongside some of the OYL books instead of before. There are still a few non-OYL issues of stuff coming out (such as this week's Teen Titans), but almost everything will be OYL starting this week.

My recommendations to check out? JSA and Aquaman and Detective Comics. I'll maybe have more. Check this week's Comic Day! thread tomorrow to see for sure.

Kefkataran
02-27-2006, 05:58 PM
So the batman story is being told across both Detective Comics and Batman? Are there any other interlinking stories that will make me pick up more books then I should?

Superman and Action Comics this month will start a 6-part OYL crossover written by Kurt Busiek and Geoff Johns. Should be a good one. I know I'll be getting it.

Spigot
02-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Superman and Action Comics this month will start a 6-part OYL crossover written by Kurt Busiek and Geoff Johns. Should be a good one. I know I'll be getting it.
AAAAH!

Busiek AND Geoff Johns?! :eek:

AAAH!

Must... resist... buying... Superman... :confused:

I love Busiek's Astro City stuff and the stuff I've read by Johns is great too.

I just really don't care for Supes. Sigh.

bardockkun
02-27-2006, 07:49 PM
AAAAH!

Busiek AND Geoff Johns?! :eek:

AAAH!

Must... resist... buying... Superman... :confused:

If you can handle reading Astro City and the Samaritan, then you can read Superman especially with writers fo that calibur. Give into the DC goodness, it's OYL too after all so you'll know it's important. Give DC your money...

Speaking of which, is it safe to assume or say Infinite Crisis #6 won't come out in March too? Or is it "supposedly" on time?

Kefkataran
02-27-2006, 09:16 PM
I forgot earlier: EVERLOST! Please review IC#5 next week. Since it's the start of all this One Year Later hub-bub (and the start of the tale-end of Infinite Crisis) I'd like to see what you think!

AAAAH!

Busiek AND Geoff Johns?!

AAAH!

Must... resist... buying... Superman...

Trust me, it's always about the writer. I know a lot of people who think Supes is boring, but Superman is NOT boring -- the writer makes or breaks how interesting he is. Or you could just wait for a few of us to pick it up and tell you how it is?...

Speaking of which, is it safe to assume or say Infinite Crisis #6 won't come out in March too? Or is it "supposedly" on time?

DC's site still has it set for the last week of March. From what I've heard, George Perez will be helping to ink larger parts of it than previous issues to make sure it comes out on time (because late scripts were the problem with the delays and Perez was on vacation when #5 was being inked so he couldn't help).

mightbe
02-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Try looking into the Luna Brothers' Girls series. It's currently on it's 10th issue, but you should be able to find a TPB of volume 1 (#1-7, I believe) while picking up the current past issues.

Will check it out, thanks.