PDA

View Full Version : [Comics] - Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews - Year 2 - Week 22

Everlost_MI
05-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Welcome to week twenty-two of Evil Avatarís Weekly Comic Book Reviews.

The Evil Avatarís Weekly Comic Book Review column features a monthly giveaway where a randomly drawn winner gets to choose four comics from a list of what BCBcomics (http://www.bcbcomics.com/) has in stock. BCBcomics offer comic book subscriptions (http://www.bcbcomics.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=7
) with many fringe benefits including no hidden costs, 30-35% off of cover price (depending on the publisher), all issues are bagged, boarded and offer cheap* shipping on all orders (*see BCBcomicsí website (http://www.bcbcomics.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=7
) for the details). In addition, the comics featured on BCBcomics home page are 50% off or just $1 if youíre a subscriber. The list is in the neighborhood of 200 to 400 titles that will be emailed to the lucky winner after the drawing.

One entry submission is allowed per week. The deadline of entry submissions for week twenty-two is midnight EST on Sunday, June 4th. The selection of the random winner for the June books will occur on Monday, June 26th. Click Here (everlost_mi@evilavatar.com) to submit your entry and donít forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname. Remember, submit an entry each week to increase your chances of winning.

Remember, these are NOT spoiler-free reviews.

Everlost_MI
05-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Week Twenty-two:
Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews Ė Year 2 - Week 22
By Everlost_MI (Brian K. Nichols), Editor in Chief

Daredevil #85 (An ongoing series) (http://www.bcbcomics.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=21229)
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Writer: Ed Brubaker
Artists: Michael Lark & Stefano Gaudiano
Colorist: Frank DíArmata
Letterer: VCís Cory Petit
Editor: Warren Simons
Price: $2.99 US/$4.25 CAN

http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/daredevil85.jpg

Rykerís is ready to blow as the Kingpin, Wilson Fisk, and Matt Murdock finally confront each other about Foggyís death and the dangerous situation the two have been put in. The incarceration of Frank Castle, the Punisher, actually helps Murdock rein in his anger a little and check his humanity after thereís a violent altercation between Castle and an inmate. In the meantime, Dakota North and Ben Urich are still trying to discover whoís running around Hellís Kitchen as Daredevil. The issue ends with the plan between the leaders of the inmates to cause a huge riot in Rykerís that includes making Fisk and Murdock corpses by the end of it.

Ed Brubaker has created a riveting story thatís packed full of action, intrigue and suspense. The gritty realistic artwork by Michael Lark and Stefano Gaudiano makes the story come alive as you can feel the claustrophobic of the walls from Rykerís closing in and smell the stank sweat of the other inmates. The final touch of the coloring by Frank DíArmata adds another layer of texture to the grime and atmosphere of the story.

Bottom Line:
Even if youíre not normally a fan of Brubaker or Daredevil, this is a book that you should be reading. Brubaker has taken Daredevil to a level beyond what Brian Michael Bendis did with the character.

Rating: 5 out of 5 EvilEyes
http://www.evilavatar.com/images/icons/e5.jpg

100 Bullets: First Shot, Last Call TPB
Publisher: DC Comics
Writer: Brian Azzarello
Artist: Eduardo Risso
Colorist: Grant Goleash
Letters: Kristyn Ferretti
Editor: Ivan Brandon
Price: $9.95 US/$16.95 CAN

100 Bullets: Split Second Chance TPB
Publisher: DC Comics
Writer: Brian Azzarello
Artist: Eduardo Risso
Colorist: Grant Goleash
Letters: Clem Robins
Editor: Ivan Brandon
Price: $14.95 US/$22.95 CAN

http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/100bullets_1.jpg http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/100bullets_2.jpg

The first trade paperback (TPB) in the 100 Bullets series entitled 100 Bullets: First Shot, Last Call collects issues one through five while the second TPB entitled 100 Bullets: Split Second Chance contains issues six through fourteen. The premise of the series is based around Agent Graves who offers those who have been wronged a method of righting the past by the means of a briefcase that contains a handgun, a hundred bullets as well as the identity and irrefutable evidence proving who wronged them. Whether the offer is taken or refused, the results are either closure for the initial transgression or as if the offer was never made. However, if these bullets, gun or information falls into the hands of another the original receipt will pay for the transgression with their life The silver lining about this offer is that the bullets are untraceable and no law enforcement agency will be able to do anything directly or indirectly related to the use of these bullets. The first trade contains various stand-alone stories but one of the characters, Dizzy Cordova, appears in later stories offered in the second TPB. Each story builds upon the mythos of The Minutemen who are enforcers for the shadow organization called The Trust. The symbol of The Trust is an open hand with the Roman numeral thirteen. As of the end of the second TPB, it appears that Mr. Shepherd is part of the Minutemen or The Trust but is playing both sides against Mr. Graves.

Brian Azzarello has created an excellent series of action and dramatic stories that contain the best and the worst of humanity with the black cloud of conspiracy casting itís shadow the entire time. Azzarello has an excellent grasp on dialogue and chartacterizations as he shifts cultures and gears with nearly every story. The artwork by Eduardo Risso has a realistic flair but uses a simpler approach to detail. Risso uses varied layouts as well as outline and shadows to inject another layer of suspense in various scenes.

Bottom Line:
The series is a mix between a thriller story such as Mel Gibsonís Payback and the conspiracy over the top stories of X-Files. If youíre a fan those genres, the series is worth picking up especially in TPB format. Not every story in the series will appeal to everyone but each one adds another brick the foundation of the house that Azzarello and Risso are building. It should be interesting to see how the videogame adaptation turns out, I have a feeling it will be in the vein of Hitman.

Rating: 4 out of 5 EvilEyes
http://www.evilavatar.com/images/icons/e4.jpg

What else is worth reading this weekÖ

∑ Blue Beetle #3 Ė Old friends reunite and it appears that itís going to get messy fast for Jaime.
∑ Nextwave #5 Ė Pure Ellis fun.

Thanks to fellow EvAv user, FenderGeek, for lending me his copies of 100 Bullets for review. Now I need to go buy them for myself.

The deadline of entry submissions for week twenty-two is midnight EST on Sunday, June 4th. The selection of the random winner for the June books will occur on Monday, June 26th Click Here (everlost_mi@evilavatar.com) to submit your entry and donít forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname

Remember, you can submit one entry per week to increase your chances of winning.

balamoor
05-29-2006, 08:52 AM
I miss the old Daredevil/Ironman teamups. Call me proletarian but the comics of the late seventies and eighties were much more fun.

Yeah I knowÖ I was also 25 years younger, the world changed and all that rot, I really donít want to hear that, just like I don't want to hear the political message behind Gulliverís Travels.

I think Iíll go play Freedom Force now.

Kefkataran
05-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Even if youíre not normally a fan of Brubaker or Daredevil, this is a book that you should be reading. Brubaker has taken Daredevil to a level beyond what Brian Michael Bendis did with the character.

There's people who aren't a fan of BRUBAKER? But it's... it's BRUBAKER. Sheesh.

I was also 25 years younger, the world changed and all that rot, I really donít want to hear that, just like I don't want to hear the political message behind Gulliverís Travels.

There goes old man Balamoor again, shaking his cane at the children. :p

JazGalaxy
05-29-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm really not digging Next Wave. Ellis has his brilliant books (Transmet, Doom2099, The AUthority, etc) and then he has his idiot brainfart stream of conciousness books (Two Step, Tokyo Storm Warning, to some extent Transmet, etc) and I think Next Wave falls firmly in category two.

Kefkataran
05-29-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm really not digging Next Wave. Ellis has his brilliant books (Transmet, Doom2099, The AUthority, etc) and then he has his idiot brainfart stream of conciousness books (Two Step, Tokyo Storm Warning, to some extent Transmet, etc) and I think Next Wave falls firmly in category two.

Nextwave is definitely a love it or hate it book. Thankfully, most people seem to really be loving it. I definitely am.

MosBen
05-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Glad you liked 100 Bullets Everlost. When I got the first trade the first couple stories really didn't grab me. The dialog was so much different than what you normally get in comics, for lack of a better word I'd call it "street" dialog, and I wasn't sure if I liked the way it hit my mental ear. Once I got used to it though, and once I started to see how each story added interesting little pieces of background information and it was all coalescing into a much greater whole I really started to like it. I'm definitely going to pick up the next couple trades in my next comics spree.

Savok
05-29-2006, 10:43 AM
There's people who aren't a fan of BRUBAKER? But it's... it's BRUBAKER. Sheesh.
Who? *watches head explode*

Spigot
05-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Daredevil is awesome in Brubaker's hands. I'd never have bothered with it until Evil started raving about the awesomeness contained therein. Now I'm hooked.

NextWave is a good silly book. It's a nice break from the serious stories in so many other books.

100 Bullets sounds really intriguing. I've been tempted to pick it up in the past but had no idea what it was about aside from having a noirish feel to it. I'll definately take a look for the Trades when next I visit my local shop.

Kefkataran
05-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Who? *watches head explode*

Rauuuuuugh!!!!!!1

:p Your mistake. ;)

Sazime
05-29-2006, 12:24 PM
You make me sad.

Speaking of Ellis, I need to pick up some Global Frequency some time soon. Glad to see 100 Bullets getting some love here. I've read the first couple trades myself and thought they were great. 1st more than the second.

And just to add something here, have we seen or will we see any reviews of "The Walking Dead"?

bardockkun
05-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Ed Brubaker is indeed a damn good writer. Though i'm still not sure on him writing team books as opposed to solo since Deadly Genesis left much to be desired.

...Is my head going to explode now too?

Everlost_MI
05-29-2006, 12:33 PM
You make me sad.

Speaking of Ellis, I need to pick up some Global Frequency some time soon. Glad to see 100 Bullets getting some love here. I've read the first couple trades myself and thought they were great. 1st more than the second.

And just to add something here, have we seen or will we see any reviews of "The Walking Dead"?

Yes, I've reviewed the Walking Dead a few times in the past two years and it's due to make the rounds again. But since you brought it up I'll make sure to do the next issue when (hurry up Kirkman!) it hits the stands.

Kefkataran
05-29-2006, 12:57 PM
...Is my head going to explode now too?

No, but only because I haven't read Deadly Genesis yet. We'll see what happens when I get hold of the trade and when Bru's Uncanny X-Men run begins.

Heretic Machine
05-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Wait... no one else is excited about the first issue of the Amazing Spider-man Civil War tie-in (http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=4177)? Plus, The Thing #7 (http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=4172), which appearently will be the last issue.

thecrazyd
05-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Wait... no one else is excited about the first issue of the Amazing Spider-man Civil War tie-in (http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=4177)? Plus, The Thing #7 (http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=4172), which appearently will be the last issue.
This is not the "what are we interested in this week" thread. This is the comic review thread.

Dr.Finger
05-29-2006, 01:51 PM
And Thing # 8 will be the last issue, for now.

Kefkataran
05-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Wait... no one else is excited about the first issue of the Amazing Spider-man Civil War tie-in? Plus, The Thing #7, which appearently will be the last issue.

As Dr. Finger said, pretty sure #8's the last issue. Might come back if the trade does well. And if you want the more 'what are we interested in' thread, that's really what we do with the Comic Day threads. Heh.

Everlost_MI
05-29-2006, 03:22 PM
As Dr. Finger said, pretty sure #8's the last issue. Might come back if the trade does well. And if you want the more 'what are we interested in' thread, that's really what we do with the Comic Day threads. Heh.

Which is always an interesting read/discussion to be sure.

mister_slim
05-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Man, if you haven't read 100 Bullets already, go pick up the trades. There's like seven of them out now and they all rock. The writing is brilliant, great handle on authentic dialogue, and the art manages a great mix of graffiti-influenced color and abstraction and a gritting noir feel. The latest trade is the best arc, by the way.

Kefkataran
05-29-2006, 05:40 PM
Man, if you haven't read 100 Bullets already, go pick up the trades. There's like seven of them out now and they all rock.

Actually, nine, I think. I've only read the first two, so far, but they do seem great.

Everlost and everyone else, I'm curious what you think of th eidea of me adding to the EvAv Weekly Comic Book Review stuff by doing a trade paper back review every week (probably on Thursdays or Fridays). Lemme know what you think.

MosBen
05-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, realistically I'll talk about comics at the drop of a hat, so it sounds good to me.

thecrazyd
05-29-2006, 05:47 PM
The more comic discussion, the better. I am cool with a trades review.

Also, 100 Bullets sounds right up my alley. I will have to check it out.

Kefkataran
05-29-2006, 05:48 PM
It also seems that as of this week the podcast is becoming more and more comic talk-y. :p Hopefully people are too pissed off at that.

'D', I think you'd dig 100 Bullets. I found the first arc or two a little slow, but sticking with it seems to be paying off.

thecrazyd
05-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Not to be off topic, but what is with putting the D is quotes? I don't mind, it just seems a little weird.

FenderGeek
05-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Seeing more on TPBs would be cool. They're definitely a 'more bang for the buck' kind of thing in my opinion... especially when you pick them up cheap at the ComicCon. :D

And Nextwave always cracks me up. It might have odd plotlines, but it's a completely fun read.

MosBen
05-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Oh man, that just reminded me that next week is the Philly Wizard World. Sweet!

Spigot
05-29-2006, 07:55 PM
I'd love to see reviews of TPB's. I keep looking at the shelves of them at the shop and never know which are the ones worth getting and which aren't (unless it's for a series that I've never read and have heard great things about). I'd almost be more interested in reviews of BAD TPB's since they're such an investment.

And yeah, last week's podcast was crazy with the comics.

MosBen
05-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey Spigot, here are some of my favorite trades that I picked up in the last couple years that are all awesome:
Identity Crisis (I rave way too much about this one)
Batman: The Long Halloween
Green Arrow: Quiver
Supreme Power: Contact
She-Hulk: Single Green Female
Ex Machina: The First Hundred Days
Y: The Last Man
Runaways Vol. 1
Invincible Vol. 1
The Saga of Swamp Thing
The Walking Dead: Days Gone Bye

Most of those have subsequent trades which are pretty uniformely great.

Spigot
05-29-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm definately looking for Ex Machina next time I go. I have the first 4 volumes of The Walking Dead (mmm) and I think I'll wait until Y is finished and then I'll start picking them up.

The Long Halloween is awesome. It's one of the batch of trades that my library has and I enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks for the heads up on some of the other ones. Runaways and Invincible both sound neat. I have the hardcover of Powers: Vol. 1 but haven't sat down to read it yet.

I'm busy picking up Transmet TPB's in 2 week installments. I love that series.

Sazime
05-29-2006, 10:04 PM
/patiently waiting for this week's comic book thread to spout about what he's reading....

Yeah, TPB reviews would be cool. I think doing it on a regular basis would be a great idea.

Kefkataran
05-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Not to be off topic, but what is with putting the D is quotes? I don't mind, it just seems a little weird.

You love it. Now quit being so off-topic, dammit.

I think I'll wait until Y is finished and then I'll start picking them up.

I'm doing that too. Not much longer to wait! How far along in Transmet are you?

/patiently waiting for this week's comic book thread to spout about what he's reading....

I decided to wait a day since comics are a day late this week. The thread will be up some time tomorrow evening.

Sazime
05-30-2006, 01:21 AM
Ah, really? So I have to wait till Thursday this week to pick up my stash? /tear

Kefkataran
05-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Ah, really? So I have to wait till Thursday this week to pick up my stash? /tear

Yes, 'tis sad. Unfortunately, that's what happens with stoopid holidays that let the mailmen off the hook.

Spigot
05-30-2006, 09:09 AM
How far along in Transmet are you?
I just finished Vol. 2. I have Vol. 0, but I'm going to wait until a bit longer before I read it. I've got Vol. 3 on order and it should be in this week at the olde comick shoppe.

I'm trying to space them out to one Transmet a month until I have them all. Should be able to afford them on top of the rest of the crap I buy that way.

mister_slim
05-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Actually, nine, I think. I've only read the first two, so far, but they do seem great.
I didn't realize there was a new trade out. I'd like to amend my statement to say the eighth trade is the best but I haven't read the ninth yet. Give me a couple of days.
I just finished Vol. 2. I have Vol. 0, but I'm going to wait until a bit longer before I read it. I've got Vol. 3 on order and it should be in this week at the olde comick shoppe.

I'm trying to space them out to one Transmet a month until I have them all. Should be able to afford them on top of the rest of the crap I buy that way.
I actually dressed as Spider for Halloween one year. Apparently I looked disturbingly realistic (had to shave my chest, actually). Those who didn't already learned to fear me.

thecrazyd
05-30-2006, 12:15 PM
I actually dressed as Spider for Halloween one year. Apparently I looked disturbingly realistic (had to shave my chest, actually). Those who didn't already learned to fear me.
I was gonna do that last halloween, but I couldn't stand to shave my head. I have a very lumpy head. I was Shaun from Shaun of the Dead instead.

Kefkataran
05-30-2006, 02:54 PM

Sounds good. And good call on waiting for 0. It's basically just extra material that gives you more Spider loving. You may even want to wait until the very end. And I hear you on the buying too much. I'm to about an Ultimate trade a week right now trying to get all of them. :S

I want pictures now.

I have a friend at college who basically is Spider in a lot of ways. Complete antagonist dick to everyone, and we love him for it. Constantly causing problems and controversy around campus and works with the newspaper. Even looks a lot like him if he tries. He was gonna dress as him for college this year but didn't.

mister_slim
05-31-2006, 04:08 PM
I want pictures now.

I have a friend at college who basically is Spider in a lot of ways. Complete antagonist dick to everyone, and we love him for it. Constantly causing problems and controversy around campus and works with the newspaper. Even looks a lot like him if he tries. He was gonna dress as him for college this year but didn't.
I don't have any, sadly. There are some running around, and one ended up on diepunyhumans at one point, but I can't find a copy. It's too bad, because that same halloween my sister dressed as Rose Tattoo (another Ellis character, from Stormwatch) and a friend dressed as The Drummer (also Ellis, from Planetary). Ellis has a way of creating memorable psychotic characters.

And I'm not really much like Spider in terms of personality. Sadly.