PDA

View Full Version : [360] - X-Men: The Official Game

bapenguin
06-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Title: X-Men: The Official Game
Platform: Multi (This review is of the 360 version)
MSRP: $59.99 for 360, $49.99 for rest.
Editor: Nicholas “bapenguin” Puleo

X-Men: The Official Game is a game that defines quick and dirty low quality movie tie-ins. The game is exudes mediocre. In fact it’s so mediocre it doesn’t even deserve a full fleshed out review.

The first problem with the game is you get to play 3 characters: Wolverine, Ice Man, and Night Crawler. What’s that you say? Night Crawler wasn’t even IN X-Men 3. So why is he in the game? Well...the game takes place between X2 and X3 and actually explains why Night Crawler isn’t in the movie. Kind of a nice touch, but not a $60 nice touch. So anyway, you get 3 characters that are all pretty unique…but you also miss out on a lot of the other great X-Men characters. While Storm and Colossus do make appearances, they are only lame AI teammates.

The only time you’ll have any fun in this game is by playing Night Crawler’s missions. The teleport attacks and combos are an absolute blast as you lay down some total ownage on the swarms of baddies. On top of that there’s some really unique boss battles with Sentinels, Multiple Man and also some Night Crawler clones later on.

Wolverine on the other hand will have you mashing buttons as you take out swarms of the same baddies OVER and OVER and OVER. Not only that, the game doesn’t even feature full levels for Wolverine. Simply sit in an arena as bad guys are warped in on top of you and beat them up. Of the 8 or so levels for Wolverine, there are at least 4 of these.

And finally we have Ice Man. What does he do? Well he skates around the sky on a sheet of ice. What do you do in his missions? You fly through tunnels and avoid beams and lasers as you auto target flying fire raptors and sentinels. Sound cool? It’s not.

The cut scenes in the game are pretty unique featuring a mix of comic book style drawings that are semi-animated. The in game music shows little variety and the graphics are mediocre at best. Controls are OK depending on character, but sometimes the camera is just a pain in the ass.

The Good
- Nightcrawler Missions
- 1000 Achievement Points

The Bad
- Bad Music and Sound
- Bad level design
- Lack of anything original

The Ugly
- $60 on the 360 for about 6 or 7 hours of gameplay
- Ugly use of the X-Men license when you have great games like Legends

Value Ranking: – Rental only for the Achievments

Score:
http://www.evilavatar.com/images/icons/e1_5.jpg
1.5 out of 5 Evil Eyes

torrefaction
06-29-2006, 11:04 AM
You crack me up Bap. The number of achievement points in a game have officially become a Pro for you.

SexualChoc
06-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Pointless game. Bap only wanted the points.

Pigeon
06-29-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm never going to bother with this game so could someone post a spoiler as to why nightcrawler isn't in X3?

gspot
06-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Movie video games (with the exceotion of spiderman 2) are always a bad idea.

bapenguin
06-29-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm never going to bother with this game so could someone post a spoiler as to why nightcrawler isn't in X3?

*Spoiler*

Basically it comes down to the fact that

1) He gets haunted by Jason's ghost from X-Men 2 causing him to do lost of "bad" things
2) He doesn't like doing these things and doesn't feel comfortable doing the things the X-Men would require him to do (aka physical violence)

thecrazyd
06-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah, he quits for the lamest goddamn reasons.

Zanzibar
06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Well, I may pick it up anyways next time I make a Company Store order - Activision sells their 360 games to employees for $15.

Cupelix
06-29-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm never going to bother with this game so could someone post a spoiler as to why nightcrawler isn't in X3?Because Alan Cumming said that sitting in a makeup chair getting covered in blue paint was one of the least rewarding experiences of his life.

Oh wait, that's not what you meant, is it.

Pigeon
06-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Because Alan Cumming said that sitting in a makeup chair getting covered in blue paint was one of the least rewarding experiences of his life.

Oh wait, that's not what you meant, is it.

Not what I meant but still a good answer ;)

PacoTaco
06-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah, basically what happened was xmen 3 the game and movie were being developed simultaneously... the company that made this had canned two other movie projects because their respective movies were also cancelled, so they had a ton of people thrown onto the xmen project, which was already a disaster.

Then, alan cumming asked for more money or he wouldn't star in xmen 3, and the director said screw you, we'll introduce beast instead, he's also blue so nobody will notice.

So then back to the game, the nightcrawler missions are clearly the most fun so imagine their surprise when they hear that nightcrawler isn't going to be in xmen 3. They can't cut the most fun missions in the game, and they can't kill off nightcrawler since it's not specified in the movie, so they come up with some lame story reason for nightcrawler leaving at the end of the game.

Kefkataran
06-29-2006, 01:41 PM
I'll be playing through for achievements, but I figured it'd be shit. Too bad.

thecrazyd
06-29-2006, 01:45 PM
I'll be playing through for achievements, but I figured it'd be shit. Too bad.
I don't get this mentality. Why would you bother playing a shit game for achievements? Are they worth that much to you? To throw away 6 hours of your life?

torrefaction
06-29-2006, 01:53 PM
I don't get this mentality. Why would you bother playing a shit game for achievements? Are they worth that much to you? To throw away 6 hours of your life?

The game is mediocre, by all accounts. Not shit. I kinda wanna play, just for the nightcrawler sequences. They've been the only part I've really cared about since the earliest previews.

thecrazyd
06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
The game is mediocre, by all accounts. Not shit. I kinda wanna play, just for the nightcrawler sequences. They've been the only part I've really cared about since the earliest previews.
Right, but you want to play it for the Nightcrawler sequences, which I can dig. I just don't get why someone would play just for achievements.

RestlessAvenger
06-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, the only thing the game was good for was the points, the Iceman levels almost made me quit playing the game completely. Very obnoxious, but as long as I have Gamefly less than 7 hours work for 1000 GS is ok by me.

Kefkataran
06-29-2006, 02:19 PM

Because I have an unhealthy addiction to achievements and catching up to Bap. Hell, the fact that its' only 6 hours is a bonus.

agentgray
06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Hrrmmm.....

OMG, they killed Nightcrawler!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

Com_Gaunt
06-29-2006, 04:21 PM
I could have sworn that Night crawler is in the movie, when Magneto storms into this meeting of mutants in a church or something, before that entire scene happens, the camera pans around in the church and I thought I spotted him on a wall there.

mister_slim
06-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Because I have an unhealthy addiction to achievements and catching up to Bap. Hell, the fact that its' only 6 hours is a bonus.
You need to develop an unhealthy addiction to writing for TB. And then expose the rest of us to it.

Pretzel
06-29-2006, 09:14 PM

Hehe, I have a friend who does the same thing. It was funny seeing him online on Xbox live playing Feeding Frenzy for hours. I couldn't understand what the hell he saw in the game until I realized he was playing it just to get the achievements.

Kefkataran
06-29-2006, 10:25 PM
You need to develop an unhealthy addiction to writing for TB. And then expose the rest of us to it.

You need to develop an unhealthy addiction to AIDS andt hen expose the rest of us to it! Oh WAIT, you already DID! THANKS, MISTER SLIM, THANKS A LOT!

(...I'll try to write more, promise. I've actually been doing a surprising amount lately!)

Hehe, I have a friend who does the same thing. It was funny seeing him online on Xbox live playing Feeding Frenzy for hours. I couldn't understand what the hell he saw in the game until I realized he was playing it just to get the achievements.

Oh man, I need to do that one still!

vivafletcher
06-30-2006, 03:20 AM
Sorry to be a little off-topic-- but what's the big deal with achievement points? Do you actually get anything for them? Can you trade them in for games or prizes or something?

bapenguin
06-30-2006, 04:44 AM
Sorry to be a little off-topic-- but what's the big deal with achievement points? Do you actually get anything for them? Can you trade them in for games or prizes or something?

The one thing I like about it...it's like keeping a log of gaming.

Can you go back and name every game you've ever beaten? Probably not. Maybe a few...but not the majority of them.

The achievment system is kind of like a journal of what you've accomplished.

laggerific
06-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Since MS is keen on making live everywhere, they need to start making achievement points for everything...take out the garbage, 100 points...do the dishes 1000 points. Post on Evil Avatar....5 points.

"What's your score?"

dena miscreant
06-30-2006, 10:20 AM
The one thing I like about it...it's like keeping a log of gaming.

Can you go back and name every game you've ever beaten? Probably not. Maybe a few...but not the majority of them.

The achievment system is kind of like a journal of what you've accomplished.

So wouldn't your rather have a log of quality rather than quantity?

I don't think I'd want Feeding Frenzy on my log of gaming. I'd be embarassed. Especially if there were achievements unlocked.

captainstrombosis
06-30-2006, 10:32 AM
This is actually what's making me not get xbox live. I know it's anal but I always get the crazy addiction to things like achievment points. So you would see me playing all sorts of cheesy/crappy/stupid games. I don't want to end up like that.

Kefkataran
06-30-2006, 02:16 PM
This is actually what's making me not get xbox live. I know it's anal but I always get the crazy addiction to things like achievment points. So you would see me playing all sorts of cheesy/crappy/stupid games. I don't want to end up like that.

Thankfully, X-Men 3 aside, most 360 games Live Arcade or retail have not been really bad. Some mediocre titles, but nothing really shitty. And, as Perfect Dark Zero has proven to me, I still won't play a game for achievement points if I really dislike it.

torrefaction
06-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Thankfully, X-Men 3 aside, most 360 games Live Arcade or retail have not been really bad. Some mediocre titles, but nothing really shitty. And, as Perfect Dark Zero has proven to me, I still won't play a game for achievement points if I really dislike it.

I think I played all of two levels, and the online like twice.

It was one of my worst purchases ever.

Kefkataran
06-30-2006, 02:27 PM
For PDZ? Cause if so, exact same case here.

torrefaction
06-30-2006, 02:29 PM

Hey...check the submitted news damnit!

torrefaction
06-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Hey...check the submitted news damnit!

Sorry if I'm being annoying, I just think people would be happy :)

torrefaction
06-30-2006, 02:32 PM

And yes, I was :)

dena miscreant
06-30-2006, 04:12 PM
I returned PD0 the day after I bought it. A friend and I attempted the co-op mode (offline) for about half an hour or so. Blah.