PDA

View Full Version : Decent PC build help

Agnostic Pope
07-29-2011, 12:21 AM
As every regular here knows I have given up on consoles entirely. I will not go into specifics but...f-em. I am gonna build a PC by Nov (or December) and would like some help/opinions on it.

GPU1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582)
MOTHERBOARD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229)
CPU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-115-073&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=4&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29#scrollFullInfo)
RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104246)
ODD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136226&cm_sp=Cat_CD_%26%2347%3b_DVD_Burners_%26%2338%3b_M edia-_-Spotlight-_-27-136-226)
HD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=Samsung%20Spinpoint%20F3%201TB)
PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256072)
CPU HSF (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118059&Tpk=Zalman%20CNPS10X%20Performa)
MOUSE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105188&cm_re=Microsoft_IntelliMouse_Explorer_3.0-_-26-105-188-_-Product)
KEYBOARD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191&Tpk=Microsoft%20Sidewinder%20X4%20Keyboard)
MONITOR (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059)
CASE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108376)

GBSOD (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/member.php?u=117) has already built a PC system for me. (schematic I guess) and I have edited some of his choices. Suggestions?

Anenome
07-29-2011, 02:57 AM
Get an actual gaming mouse FFS :P One with thumb buttons. So stupidly useful i can't imagine going back to a thumb-buttonless mouse.

And consider going 12gb ram or 16. I'm hitting up against my 8gb already >_< Right now I have 1.3gb unused.

Also, the Caviar Black HDDs are only like $20 more for 1.5tb, with double read heads / cache.

Syl
07-29-2011, 04:34 AM
Anenenome, how the fuck do you use all 8 gigs? I've never gone over 4 of my 8. And thats with some crazy, crazy multi-tasking. (Such as watching a 1080p movie, and play a game at the same time, and have 100+ tabs open, and messengers and other stuff)

GPU: good choice.
Motherboard: Go with a Z68 instead of a P67
Processor, Ram, Blu-ray - All good choices
Harddrive: 1TB? Not an SSD for your OS? Samsung? I obviously disagree.
PSU: I'd go with a modular corsair 750watt at least. I personally don't know much about silverstone
There are better heatsinks than that particular zalman. Zalman tends to be overpriced and newegg generally overcharges on heatsinks. Go to http://search.directron.com/sorteditems/lga1156coolerd.php instead.
Get a real gaming mouse. Seriously.
Decent choice of keyboard, I use the X6 (I also use the sidewinder X8 mouse)
No real comment on the monitor choice.
That case? Seriously? It's so unbelievably ugly!

Meusli
07-29-2011, 05:59 AM
I agree with Syl and Anenome apart from the GPU and the mouse. I owned that mouse before my G5 and it does have thumb buttons and worked really well, still does and it is over 5 years old, just has a lose scroll wheel. The case is going to be a nightmare to clean, all the dust they suck in due to the fans will make it grubby real quick.

As for the GPU Nvidia are releasing there new GPU's this winter that are supposed to be real fast. You should hold out till then and buy the new ones or pick up that one at a steal.

Anenome
07-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Anenenome, how the fuck do you use all 8 gigs? I've never gone over 4 of my 8. And thats with some crazy, crazy multi-tasking. (Such as watching a 1080p movie, and play a game at the same time, and have 100+ tabs open, and messengers and other stuff)
Oh, you're adorable :) I have 7 movies open in players right now :P Winamp up with 10,000 songs in the playlist, only two Word windows up, usually that's more. 17 system folders open. Kindle app running, and Nitro PDF reader, Googletalk, Steam, Carbonite, and misc other background programs. And Firefox is currently using 1.9gb of memory >_> I don't even know how many tabs are up. And I often play games at the same time :P

Oh, down to 1.2gb memory now :P I coulda swore 8gb would be enough for me too :P After all my old system was 2gb and while I maxed that regularly I didn't think Win7 would have so much larger a footprint, but it's also stuff I'm running too :P

Anenome
07-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Thing about that keyboard was they said the paint eventually rubs off and all you see is the light behind it, no letter.

I'm always looking for a good backlit keyboard but, as a writer, it has to be paired with an above average key-click mechanism, and should have molded letters, not printed. On this keyboard my 'A' is the worse off. It's been polished flush until only a tiny triangle at the top is left.

Agnostic Pope
07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the comments! See I'm not done yet deciding how exactly I am going to set up the OS. SSD? Isn't that a more expensive hardrive that stores almost nothing? That 1TB drive is just for now with the current motherboard I can add more later...I can add more ram as well. I am thinking at least having 12 gigs of ram... The case is pretty meh and I don't really care how it looks as long as everything is ventilated properly. However if you know of another case with better ventilation at the same price please post it. Why is the Z68 a better choice over the P67? Also do you guys know of a better heatsink at a reasonable price and isn't a energy hog? Also really don't care about the mouse right now anything decent is alright with me.

Syl
07-29-2011, 01:42 PM
So anenome is extremely computer inefficient. Got it.

Yes, the SSD is extremely expensive and has extremely limited space - but I just finally got an SSD in my system for my operating system. (120 gig intel SSD, retails for $250+, i got it for $140) and it honestly feels like i got an entirely new computer the difference in speed is so drastic.

As for GPU's, both Nvidia and ATI are trying to push out their next generation of chips before the end of the year - probably in conjunction with battlefield 3. However those are theoretical, and if you're going to wait for the new GPUs you might as well wait for the next generation of AMD or Intel chips, as they're also do out by the end of the year or early next year. (I cannot wait to see Ivy Bridge!)

Z68 is the successor to P67, P67 was a stopgap solution that doesn't allow the Core processors to use all of their available abilities. Z68 fixes that and also has an onboard USB 3.0 controller if i recall correctly and a few other minor, but useful, changes.

I also used a microsoft intellimouse for an extremely long time, hell, i have one from 2004 still sitting around for my laptop. I've just found that the much higher DPI mouse are far more important for precision FPS gaming.

If you don't care what the case looks like, i can help you with that in the near future. I dont' have time to look up exacts right now. As for a heatsink, A good mid-range heatsink (which would be all you need if you aren't overclocking - and with an i5, you won't be) Something like the TRUE Spirit (http://www.amazon.com/Cogage-True-Spirit-Cooler-Thermalright/dp/B002HO329S) is pretty amazing for the price.

Capt_Thad
07-29-2011, 02:27 PM
SSD's are nice, but it's still kinda hard to justify the cost. You haven't mentioned your budget limitations, and that should be tantamount. Otherwise you leave yourself open to overspending. It is nice to have a smaller boot drive though, just something to install an OS too. I'm a fan of Samsung drives, so I can vouch for them. I've had better luck with Samsung than WD or Seagate; I've had multiple failed drives from both of them, with no fails on Samsung drives yet. It's all circumstantial though.

Can't understand why anyone would pay over $300 for a GPU, I have trouble paying over $200 myself. The turnover rate is so high, and they're always releasing new tech. A card that should last you four or five years may run games for that long, but without all the fancy new features. That's a solid card though if you don't care about money. Do you really need a bluray drive too? Could cut out an easy $50 there by sticking with a DVD burner. I guess if you need a bluray player though, it's the cheapest option.

I'm a fan of the Arctic Cooler Freezer (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134) series, pretty easy to set up and fairly efficient. Just make sure you change out the thermal paste with some quality stuff as part of your build.

I'm still running 4GB RAM without issue, though I have considered moving up to 8GB. Certainly cutting it close in a few games now. Can't imagine you needing more than 8GB now, unless you're Anenome. :D

Orphiuchus
07-29-2011, 03:08 PM
You may want to pay the extra few bucks for the i5 2500k so you can overclock. I've got my i7 2700k sitting at 38C OCd to 4.3 ghz on cheap water cooling, and it could go much higher.

For the video card you may also want to consider a 2 gb 6950 flashed into a 6970, making crossfire more easily affordable down the line. You could then do dual 6970s for about $460, where as dual 570s would run you like $740. The flashing process is easy and the results are completely stable.

Also, a SSD just for your OS will make things fly. It was one of the best decisions I made with my current system.

And one more note; make sure that you clock your ram to its intended speed. Mine kept defaulting back to 400 mhz when it should have been 800 (DDR1600 = 800*2) and the performance boost when I fixed it was substantial.

*edit* yet another note; you will likely be using 8 gigs of ram easily by the middle of this systems life. I would do at least 8.

*edit2* Bluray player note; make sure your monitor is HDCP compliant if you want to be able to use that bluray player, and I wouldn't just take their word for it, find someone who has it to confirm. My old system is top to bottom HDCP compliant and it still refuses to play Bluray movies, and my new one will only do it through HDMI(which shrinks the screen for some reason).

PopoWRX
07-29-2011, 03:34 PM
I agree with Orph. While buying an SSD was a huge, huge chunk of my budget, it really makes loading Windows and using it a quick and painless experience. Having one or two games on it also makes them fly in terms of loading times. When I had WoW on it, everything would load so quickly, including players around me.

Syl
07-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Trust me and the two previous posters, an SSD for your OS drive is absolutely worth every penny.

I'm actively looking into an SSD for my laptop now after having one on my desktop for less than a week. The change in speed is so drastic that i hate the boot time on my (admittedly, very CHEAP ASS) laptop. I would put an SSD over better processor or more ram. Easily.

I am only happy that it took me so long to get an SSD because the SSD i was able to acquire was of such high quality, if i believed the SSD reports over the past few years as well as i should have (and i should have!) I honestly should have gotten one years ago.

It's that big of a difference.

Also, personally, my choice of videocard right now would be an ATI/AMD 6950 (with a superior aftermarket cooler, such as Twin Frozr). However if you have some particular affection towards nvidia the GTX 570 is a roughly adequate choice.

I just personally will never, EVER, build a desktop with only one monitor for the rest of my life, and AMD has a considerably better multi-monitor management situation.

Capt_Thad
07-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Also, personally, my choice of videocard right now would be an ATI/AMD 6950 (with a superior aftermarket cooler, such as Twin Frozr). However if you have some particular affection towards nvidia the GTX 570 is a roughly adequate choice.

I just personally will never, EVER, build a desktop with only one monitor for the rest of my life, and AMD has a considerably better multi-monitor management situation.

I'll +1 both of those. Upgraded to a 6950 and picked up a second monitor earlier this year. Got used to the dual monitor setup on our other comp, and now I can't live without it.

Agnostic Pope
07-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Er I have a 1300 dollar budget or more I just want a decent PC that can play ME3 and Skyrim PERFECTLY. Multi-monitors sounds pretty bitching now that you mention it Syl... I might skip the bluray player after what Orphiuchus said though. WTF. 300 bucks for a GPU feels alright with me and by October (is when I'll start ordering things) the price may go down...Might even get a SSD for the OS as well. Also what version of Windows should I get? Should I wait for Windows 8?

Syl
07-30-2011, 05:02 AM
By october the hardware situation may have changed and at least one of the nvidia/amd videocards could be released by then. Playing ME3 perfectly could probably be accomplished on 5 year old hardware, playing Skyrim perfectly probably won't be able to be accomplished by hardware for 5 years so you're kind of in a weird place if thats your main goal. I personally would build towards Battlefield 3, that should take care of anything ever previously released and probably everything that's going to be released for the next few years.

I generally spend 250+ on a GPU. The GPU should be the single most expensive part of a build, if your GPU is cheaper than your CPU then you're doing something wrong with your build, simply because the GPU will be more bigger bottleneck in 99% of situations.

Orphiuchus
07-30-2011, 11:12 AM
By october the hardware situation may have changed and at least one of the nvidia/amd videocards could be released by then. Playing ME3 perfectly could probably be accomplished on 5 year old hardware, playing Skyrim perfectly probably won't be able to be accomplished by hardware for 5 years so you're kind of in a weird place if thats your main goal. I personally would build towards Battlefield 3, that should take care of anything ever previously released and probably everything that's going to be released for the next few years.

I generally spend 250+ on a GPU. The GPU should be the single most expensive part of a build, if your GPU is cheaper than your CPU then you're doing something wrong with your build, simply because the GPU will be more bigger bottleneck in 99% of situations.

Actually, I have the feeling that Skyrim will be easy to hard-max with current hardware. Remember, it has to run on PS3 and XBOX360, and their hardware is pretty pathetic compared to a new PC at this point.

Battlefield 3 runs perfectly on my current system, although I don't think the neat graphics options are even enabled in the alpha.

Also, all of you with (2 gig)6950s, you already own a 6970. The hardware is exactly the same, the difference is nothing but firmware. You can find a guide on flashing here (http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159). Its about a 100 dollar upgrade for free.

*edit* Windows 7 is pretty good at the moment, I would go with it unless something changes by October.

Also, since you are waiting a few months chances are some of the parts selected here will be out of date, so naturally at least post the new list when you do the build so all the enthusiasts here can give feedback.

lockwoodx
07-30-2011, 11:16 AM
There's really nothing out there or coming on the horizon to build a system for atm, so unless you simply don't have one, I'd hold of building a PC until next year if you can help it. All this year's steam/black friday sale will get you is the same junk that was on sale during the summer, but cheaper or bundled in bigger packs and nothing short of the witcher 2 pushes even a GTS 250 honestly.

Orphiuchus
07-30-2011, 11:25 AM
There's really nothing out there or coming on the horizon to build a system for atm, so unless you simply don't have one, I'd hold of building a PC until next year if you can help it. All this year's steam/black friday sale will get you is the same junk that was on sale during the summer, but cheaper or bundled in bigger packs and nothing short of the witcher 2 pushes even a GTS 250 honestly.

To add to this, there are a bunch of new graphical features that are just starting to go into use, such as tesselation, which current high end hardware has a lot of trouble with. The life of a system built just before a new round of consoles and the implementation of a new Direct X is bound to be short. I wouldn't be surprised at all if all of the computers build for Battlefield 3 cant run new games with the graphics turned up in mid 2013.

Syl
07-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Actually, I have the feeling that Skyrim will be easy to hard-max with current hardware. Remember, it has to run on PS3 and XBOX360, and their hardware is pretty pathetic compared to a new PC at this point.

Oh yes, boring, default, ugly skyrim will be able to be maxed on current hardware.

by the hell would ever want to play it like that? My 4870 can't handle Oblivion with all of the beauty mods turned on, i have a feeling that Skyrim is going to be similar once the mod scene gets their hands on it.

Orphiuchus
07-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Oh yes, boring, default, ugly skyrim will be able to be maxed on current hardware.

by the hell would ever want to play it like that? My 4870 can't handle Oblivion with all of the beauty mods turned on, i have a feeling that Skyrim is going to be similar once the mod scene gets their hands on it.

This is true to a certain extent, but its going to take a long time for those mods to come out. The Oblivion graphics extender is still in very early stages, and its a major pain to get the new shaders to actually work in game. Additionally, because Skyrim is such a small improvement over Oblivion, I think that once the mods are out it won't be that much harder to run that Oblivion with all the mods.

Dual 6970s will run any version of Skyrim maxed out until future generation shaders are modded in, I guarantee it. I'll even bet that a single 6950 flashed to a 6970 will max it out for its entire life.

Personally, I find the Morrowind improvements more impressive anyway. It looks better than Oblivion with everything turned up IMHO, and the game is just much, much better on every level.

GBSOD
07-31-2011, 04:26 PM
AP, I would also recommended you wait a bit longer before you nail down your specs. By November the new AMD CPUs will be out and maybe new GPUs from AMD too. At the very least you will be able to get a bit more out of your budget.

As for RAM yes, 8 Gig is more than you will use in all but the most extreme cases, but at the price these days it is not exactly overkill.

I love that mouse for gaming!

lockwoodx
07-31-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't even have to give him advice and it turns out to be the best in the thread.

Agnostic Pope
07-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Personally, I find the Morrowind improvements more impressive anyway. It looks better than Oblivion with everything turned up IMHO, and the game is just much, much better on every level.
I will be replaying Morrowind as well...amazing game.