PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War: Judgment Preview

randir14
09-05-2012, 12:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Pzkk8.jpg

Eurogamer has a preview (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-04-gears-of-war-judgment-preview-shifting-up-the-gears) of Gears of War: Judgment.

Bleszinski also emphasizes how important it is to bring the Locust back to their terrifying roots by focusing on the sheer horror of a full-on assault from a large enemy force.

"When you turn around and there's a mauler on top of you, you panic. And that's a good feeling in a game," he says. "Because when you're done with the combat encounter you're wiping the sweat off your brow and your friends are high fiving each other, saying 'yeah, we did that.' We want to get back to that as opposed to you just being Rambo and steamrolling through all of them."

The change-up seemed necessary following Gears 3, which Bleszinski says should have been a little more intense, both in design as well as in the entry's Lambent enemies. "If I could go back in time, I'd give the Lambent more personality so that they were more fun to fight. Maybe with a little less exploding in your face," he says.

Read the rest of the preview here (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-04-gears-of-war-judgment-preview-shifting-up-the-gears).

sai tyrus
09-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Epic seems more reactionary than innovative nowadays. What they're doing here sounds like PR bullshit. And Fortnite? Dunno about that one...

Pluvious
09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
What is sad is that the new Halo took the exploding enemies and copied it. I'm glad they are getting back to basics and enough with the goo. Just blood thank you.

3Suns
09-05-2012, 03:56 PM
I would like to play the campaign when the game goes down to 10 bucks, which it should about 6 months after launch. No more pre-orders or release date purchases for Epic. They have no idea how to make an MP game, and SP isn't worth 30 bucks let alone 60.

Pluvious
09-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Yeah.. they don't know how to make an MP game.. right. Um.. they started the whole Horde mode we see in TONS of games now. They are one of the BEST MP dev's. What have you been smoking?

DarkDaY
09-05-2012, 06:26 PM
I like the series and looking forward to this...sorry for the positive post.

3Suns
09-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I guess I consider "co-op" an extension of a campaign mode, and not MP. And, just by chance, when setting up the computer lab for the school fair this morning, I noticed that Valve thinks of "Horde" mode the same way (screenshot) (http://thestranded.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/mp-coop.jpg) - It is "Co-Op", distinct from "MP". So, I'll stand behind that big brother as defense of my terminology.

Glad you didn't try to defend Epic using their Gears MP "VS" as evidence. Shenanigans and all, Gears 1 remains to this day, one of my favorite MP games. However, while some issues were addressed and new features were added to Gears 2 and Gears 3, they were "epic" fails in the MP VS department. That is two failed tries in 6 years. Heck, for Gears 3, they even cut the option for private lobbies, and not even the MLG "pros" could love their shit. Seriously, when designing MP, they can no longer tell their ass from their mouth. And the network coding for their Unreal Engines is among the worst in the industry...unless you love lag.

3Suns
09-05-2012, 06:55 PM
I like the series and looking forward to this...sorry for the positive post.

Hey, it is cool. As far as I am concerned, the campaigns for all the Gears games were some of the most enjoyable SP/Co-op gaming I have ever experienced in my life. From the art direction, to the story and voice acting which matched the campy gameplay perfectly, it was excellent. And with Karen Traviss on board for Gears 3, it was even, dare I say, touching. BTW, she didn't write Judgement, as far as I know, so that aspect will take a hit.

sai tyrus
09-05-2012, 07:33 PM
^Yeah, she isn't on for judgement.

Pluvious
09-06-2012, 12:43 AM
You make some valid points 3Suns, and I agree with you 100%. I appreciated a somewhat stable and well thought out MP implementation with Gears. So many games that shoe horn in MP, have a certain amateur feel to the way they do it. Gears series (Halo and CoD for that matter) does it right, and seems to care enough to tweak with shit until it's dialed in.

The way the party chat, how to see everyone online and invite, the lobby system, playlists for everyone..etc. I think they did a great job. Considering the amount of people STILL playing it, its a testament to how good it's MP was.

Bioshock 2 .. . um.. not so much.