PDA

View Full Version : Will the PC die?

sai tyrus
11-16-2012, 05:44 AM
Hey all, with talks of consoles dying, Windows 8 killing Microsoft, and other news in gloom n' doom, I was wondering, what do you all think will happen to the PC market? With 4,881,066 users signed in at peak hours as of this writing, Steam seems to be doing fine (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/). And by all accounts, Origin has 5 million users daily (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-19-ea-origin-has-over-5m-daily-users). Granted, that particular figure is representative across all platforms, and even Steam's data does not necessarily reflect active users, I'm still wondering, will my beloved PC die? There's always talks of a shrinking market for PC hardware, and well, without hardware, we can't really build anything, can we?

Thoughts?

SaintBlitzkrieg
11-16-2012, 06:15 AM
If there is a market, nothing will ever die.

PCs, Consoles, Mobile, they will never die because there is a market. Will they transform to something entirely different than what we classify something as, sure. But they will never die.

I am so over the prediction of something dying thing because a new fad came out and everyone is jumping ship. The new one is that Mobile is going to kill consoles. When I heard that I had a good chuckle. It wont happen.

Mobile games are nothing but a time waster and one area I wont drop a penny. I refuse to pay for an angry birds game, or anything along those lines. Sure I play them, I am one of those millions, but again, only the free versions. And let me tell you this. The only time I play them, usually when I am waiting for something... at work.

When it is my off time, I dont play them, I am playing real games. So honestly, as long as we keep buying there are people out there willing to make it and keep our hobby alive. Nothing is dying anytime soon. I mean, come on, who didn't love the comment by Sony saying they wanted to kill and eliminate Nintendo from the console business?

bean19
11-16-2012, 06:15 AM
PC gaming isn't going away. Console gaming isn't going away. People like to make flashy thread titles to get hits.

You know the only supporting fact for the consoles are dying story was? That a comparison of sales in September in 2011 was higher than in 2012. . . one month. Plus, September was when we got two of the games that are most likely to compete for Game of the Year (Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2) - with Borderlands 2 being a big seller on PC even though it is multi-platform and GW2 being exclusively on PC.

Comparing releases from year to year without discussing what is actually released in that month is useless data - especially when predicting the end of a market. Even if there was actual information showing a decline in sales, it would likely be the result of decline in quality. . . people buy good games and the existence of more consoles means more potential buyers.

Even if Windows 8 sucks, it doesn't mean people will use it. Are there ANY games that won't work on Vista right now? Most will still even work on XP.

sai tyrus
11-16-2012, 06:52 AM
For me, the biggest question on PCs possibly dying that prompted this thread was the decline in PC hardware sales. I agree that so long as there is a market, there will be products. Just curious to see what people thought. So many gloom and doom threads, ya know? Thanks guys!

Evil Avatar
11-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Even if Windows 8 sucks, it doesn't mean people will use it. Are there ANY games that won't work on Vista right now? Most will still even work on XP.

As a gaming platform, the PC is nowhere near the size of the console market. Call of Duty Black Ops II sold over a Half Million in sales during the first 24 hours. Games like Halo 4 sell over 5 Million copies. That is ONE GAME compared to the 4 Million people that Steam claims are logging in.

With reports coming in that Windows 8 is slowing the sales of PC's -- and most PC's and laptops that are being sold aren't capable of playing high end games like Black Ops II anyway, PC gaming has become a niche market.

Is it going to go away? Not totally of course. As long as there is those 4 million customers there will be companies that want a piece of that market.

But, the era when id Software dominated the industry by releasing a game that required two generations of hardware beyond what was currently available -- what we really think of when we think of PC gaming -- that era is over. Probably forever.

There is no indication that just because your PC can display higher resolution graphics than your console that consumers are more inclined to dump $1000+ into a high ending gaming PC instead of $250 into a console.

The sad part is that Sony isn't doing that great and Microsoft is starting to hurt. All signs that the economy isn't doing much recovery. That is kind of a bigger concern than whose's video game ePenis is bigger.

bean19
11-16-2012, 07:41 AM
As a gaming platform, the PC is nowhere near the size of the console market. Call of Duty Black Ops II sold over a Half Million in sales during the first 24 hours. Games like Halo 4 sell over 5 Million copies. That is ONE GAME compared to the 4 Million people that Steam claims are logging in.
So titles that are like CoD go multiplatform to consoles. Nothing new. The install base for PC is tons larger than it was in ten years ago and tons larger than that 10 years before that. No one prophesied the doom of PC back then. . . well, except you ten years ago. ;)

Meanwhile, the PC sells millions of copies of MMOs like World of Warcraft that have monthly subscriptions or that are F2P but have tons of microtransactions like DDO. Plus, there are plenty of games that thrive as PC exclusives because they can't be made well on consoles like The Sims 3 (millions of copies sold) and there are plenty of PC multiplatform titles where PC is the preferred platform by gamers because of mods like Skyrim. Finally, there are genres that work best on PC like RTS (Command & Conquer, Starcraft), DotA clones (League of Legends, DotA 2), simulations (Minecraft, Towns), and dungeon crawls (Torchlight 2, Diablo 3).

But, the era when id Software dominated the industry by releasing a game that required two generations of hardware beyond what was currently available -- what we really think of when we think of PC gaming -- that era is over. Probably forever.
Huh. I think that might be what YOU think about when you think of PC gaming, but it's not what I think it is about. Clearly, with World of Warcraft and Halo, PC gaming altered a lot from being dominated by FPS while consoles showed that they could be dominated by FPS. That's kind of ten-year-old news though man.

Also, there are still companies making cutting edge tech that pushes the ball forward. Games are looking better and better while computers are still getting better. The difference isn't going to be that dramatic anymore. You'll be able to tell. There are already PCs capable of producing Pixar quality visuals in real-time, and I expect that within 5-10 years, they will be affordable. It won't be ever be the huge jumps we saw in the last couple of generations as the tech industry went through it's adolescence, but it will continue.

The big changes we will see in the future are going to be with interfaces.

sai tyrus
11-16-2012, 07:50 AM
I agree that the PC isn't what it was. And honestly, I'm fine with that. My gripe with consoles are the damn ads on the 360 and that it's a closed system. As someone who's literally gone through at least 20 360s RRoD, I just have a sour taste in my mouth. Personally, I don't want to see Sony go away. Competition breeds innovation. And graphically, I'm satisfied with where we are on all platforms. On the console end, I really want a machine that legitimately displays in 1080p this upcoming generation. And the $250 on a console? That's now. At launch, that was not the case with the 360 or PS3. Nor do I expect it next-gen. What I want though, is reliable damn hardware!

brandonjclark
11-16-2012, 08:55 AM
There's a lot more Bud Lights and Miller Lites our there than their is craft beer, too.

I doubt craft beer is going away.

AkumaATR
11-16-2012, 09:29 AM
If there is a market, nothing will ever die.

PCs, Consoles, Mobile, they will never die because there is a market. Will they transform to something entirely different than what we classify something as, sure. But they will never die.

I am so over the prediction of something dying thing because a new fad came out and everyone is jumping ship. The new one is that Mobile is going to kill consoles. When I heard that I had a good chuckle. It wont happen.

Mobile games are nothing but a time waster and one area I wont drop a penny. I refuse to pay for an angry birds game, or anything along those lines. Sure I play them, I am one of those millions, but again, only the free versions. And let me tell you this. The only time I play them, usually when I am waiting for something... at work.

When it is my off time, I dont play them, I am playing real games. So honestly, as long as we keep buying there are people out there willing to make it and keep our hobby alive. Nothing is dying anytime soon. I mean, come on, who didn't love the comment by Sony saying they wanted to kill and eliminate Nintendo from the console business?

Kingdom Rush (largest time/cost ratio I've experienced with a purchase, ever) with a Bamboo stylus might change your opinion about whether real games can exist in that space. But I agree with the broad sentiments in your post.

MADxMrMike
11-16-2012, 09:56 AM
I personnaly do not ever see the PC dieing out. Even if all console gaming shit the bed PC gaming will be around and the reason why is freedom. No matter what happends there will always be a programmer or game designer( or team of folks ) that will release something awesome on the PC because in the end they can. There is nothing stopping them! Consoles not so much. PC gaming will never die. Period. Slow to a crawl maybe but never dead.

Im telling you there will always be some game developed by some small company that will change the way folks think and play games and it will be on the PC platform first. Lets look back at the legacy of PC gaming. Wolfenstien/Doom, Simcity, Warcraft, Minecraft, Diablo, online shooters, DLC, mods, etc... I could go on and on. Yeah PC gaming isnt dieing. If anything its stronger then ever.

SaintBlitzkrieg
11-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Kingdom Rush (largest time/cost ratio I've experienced with a purchase, ever) with a Bamboo stylus might change your opinion about whether real games can exist in that space. But I agree with the broad sentiments in your post.

I am sure there are games there. Where there are people there will be something for them. I guess I was just talking more for me. How these developers keep saying the "future is mobile, mobile is where gaming is going... blah blah blah". When I am sitting saying, "um, no its not actually, its right where it is."

Mobile isn't for me. Its more for the casual audience that can take a game and play for 5 minutes and get their fill. That isn't me, I need something more interactive.

As for PC, the reason for no real hardware is due to the fact we aren't really in the next gen realm yet. We are asking for it, but developers are making it. The only next gen software I have seen has been from Epic with their next gen Unreal engine. Other than that, I haven't seen or heard anything. Well there is also that Final Fantasy one as well. But again, we haven't made the push to that realm to even need the hardware to produce that.

But once we hit that market, where we will be needing more, the hardware sales will return.

Hagetaka
11-16-2012, 10:47 AM
As for PC, the reason for no real hardware is due to the fact we aren't really in the next gen realm yet. We are asking for it, but developers are making it. The only next gen software I have seen has been from Epic with their next gen Unreal engine. Other than that, I haven't seen or heard anything. Well there is also that Final Fantasy one as well. But again, we haven't made the push to that realm to even need the hardware to produce that.

Dont forget about Source2

MADxMrMike
11-16-2012, 12:38 PM
...The only next gen software I have seen has been from Epic with their next gen Unreal engine. Other than that, I haven't seen or heard anything.

This is what worries me. That the only thing really next gen is a more power system to create better graphics. Dont get me wrong I love the eye candy but what is really next for gaming? When games went from 2D to 3D that was an evolution. Internet gaming!! The analog stick was an evolution. Whats next? VR? Is that even possible? I hope Im around when the next step is made because if the only thing I have to look forward to is prettier games during my life time then what a let down. :-(

SaintBlitzkrieg
11-16-2012, 12:43 PM
This is what worries me. That the only thing really next gen is a more power system to create better graphics. Dont get me wrong I love the eye candy but what is really next for gaming? When games went from 2D to 3D that was an evolution. Internet gaming!! The analog stick was an evolution. Whats next? VR? Is that even possible? I hope Im around when the next step is made because if the only thing I have to look forward to is prettier games during my life time then what a let down. :-(

Honestly, gaming over the past has just gotten graphically better. I believe the next evolution of gaming is potentially cross platform gaming. You playing against people on PC, Xbox, PS... You can only get so pretty, and go so far with graphics to a point where we ask for more.

This gen has simply been just eye candy in my opinion. It hasn't been about features in games or pushing the hardware. That will be the next gen. And I seriously hoping for cross platform, or at least cross console gaming. I would love a competition between xbox and ps. That would just be epic.

As for the engines, we just have to see who sets the tone for those engines and what they can and can't do with them. You have to remember, a lot of games have to fall flat on their faces so we can appreciate games that we consider all time classics.