PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Kiosks Arrive at Gamestop!

Capn Crunch
11-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm sitting there at GameStop at the Glendale Galleria shooting the breeze with the guys about their shiny new Wii console.

Out of nowhere some guys wheel in a 4'x4'x7' box into the store. I think to myself it can't be what I think it is, then I see a taped on piece of paper that says SCEA Kiosk.

Here we go again... :)

1.) Kiosk. Very cool, the back is a gently curved silver. In front is a clear portion that houses the PS3 behind Plexiglass. Below that is a silver area that looks to be ventilation for the system above. The TV sits rather high but is angled down. The "Spider Man" Playstation 3 logo is under the TV and when the unit is powered on it stands out via a cool red back light that also suffuses the entire unit. Looks really sharp. The most notable things after the console itself is a sideboard to the right of the system that advertises the various advantages of blue ray.

2.) Console. Yes it's huge, yes it's shiny. Nothing is plugged in to it. As the manager turns on the Kiosk we wonder how there is no power chord to the unit. When he opens up the "ventilation" area we realize that THE REAL PS3 IS HIDDEN IN THIS AREA!!! The console you see behind Plexiglass is ACTUALLY A HOLLOW SHELL. lol. We suspect that they did this either so that no cables would be visible (seems silly) or because the Plexiglass area would not allow enough ventilation (more likely) or so that the sound of the fan would be farther away from the listener (it was audible but not that loud). I suspect the second theory although it could be just to make it harder to steal.

3.) Controllers. The Kiosk comes with two Sixaxis Controllers. They are plugged in AND tethered. It's hard to tell how much lighter they are because of the bulky plastic security/tethering mechanism, but they are thinner and the L2 and R2 buttons feel dramatically different.

4.) No Setup. Once everything was plugged in and the TV set to the correct language and channel, the system was ready to go. It may be that Sony set everything up before hand as the date, etc was already set. When the system boots up, it gets to the menu very quickly (almost no boot sequence).

5.) Demos. There are four demos that came with the Kiosk. I wasn't sure if these were on the hard drive or on a disk, but after watching the demos load (which took a while in a couple of cases) I surmise the demos are not on the HD. The demos were:

NBA O7 Looks good, with very nice animation. The store manager played this and said it controlled well. We agreed that the graphics were similar but not superior to similar 360 games.
Genji Trailer The game has some very nice effects, but the enemies seem to be standing around waiting to get killed by the main character a lot. Perhaps they set the AI low so that demo footage could feature some spectacular combos. The graphics are very nice.
PS3 Game Montage Some excellent footage of Assassin's Creed and some really brief footage of games like Warhawk and Tony Hawk.
MotorStorm Don't know if Sony is showing this demo to counter Excite Truck or if it is a coincidence. The graphics here are superb, the load times long. you can choose to race in a car or a motorcycle. Each mode gives you the choice of two vehicles. The odd thing was, once in the race, it gave you the option to "switch vehicles" with any other car or motorcycle in the starting lineup. You could choose to race with a bike from the menu, then load into the race and switch to a car, even switching to cars and bikes that are not one of the four selectable vehicles from the main menu. We didn't get this, but it definitely gives this demo some legs. The field of cars/motorcycles seems to change depending on which of the four original vehicles you choose. The vehicles don't control all that smoothly and the game seems a bit slow for a racing game at times. The animation of the bike riders is fantastic, with the riders looking around at the right times and a lot of animation that makes it really seem like a rider and a bike. When you crash or go off the side of the cliff (and you will) you will go to a Burnout-like mode where you can watch the crash in slow motion. The vehicles take damage as you race and the wrecks can have them breaking apart into hundreds of pieces (plus a hapless driver falling to his doom). I tried to move the crash using the tilt or the stick, but to no avail. The most outstanding feature of the game is the physics engine. Truly remarkable, it caused me to gasp aloud. I had just shattered my bike into a bunch of tiny little pieces and was watching my poor driver fall to his death. One of the gas canisters that was previously bolted on my bike flew toward him, hit him in the back and caused him to be thrust realistically into a forward flip from the force of the impact. It sounds odd but it looked exactly how I imagined it should

6.) Sixaxis. We didn't notice any ability to use the tilt functionality in any of the demos, although NBA 07 listed them for jukes and fakes, etc. When the store manager tried he wasn't impressed with it and didn't do it again.

7.) Time Limit! Every 15 minutes or so, the PS3 completely reboots, ostensibly to encourage people to pass the controller. It is jarring and unceremonious.

Take care, all.

rein
11-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the impressions. As a retail whore for a certain company that will soon be getting a kiosk, it was great to get some info. Between the "check out" policy of the Wii-mote and the PS3 rebooting, my store may become less of an arcade. :)

Deadend
11-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the impressions. As a retail whore for a certain company that will soon be getting a kiosk, it was great to get some info. Between the "check out" policy of the Wii-mote and the PS3 rebooting, my store may become less of an arcade. :)
I wish companies would use their digital cameras to make the systems 'fake-off' if the same person stays in front of it for long enough, to kind of hint for them to GO AWAY! It would also help make electronics sections no longer be known as day-care sections.

cannedpasta
11-09-2006, 12:12 AM
So the gameplay video of Motorstom that made it look slow was accurate then?

Kamalot
11-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks so much for the awesome impressions. I'll have to hit my store up tomorrow to give it a try. Nice kiosks this generation from both Microsoft & Nintendo. Hope PS3's is of the same caliber.

Fonz
11-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Too lazy to re-type what I said before so here's my ctrl+v skills:

Of course its to make it harder to steal moron, the thing is worth 599 retail prob 10 times as much on ebay this xmas. BTW you probably got the people at that gamestop in trouble(if not fired) for reporting about the "trap door". Good read though.

flinxz
11-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Itís good to see they are getting their Kiosks more than a week before launch instead of after.

Another note, it is pretty cool you can shoot the breeze with your GS/EB workers.

I only go in there to listen to what kind of shit they are spewing that particular month, and then openly mock them by purchasing a brand new game and not a used one.

On Tuesday (Nov 7) I was at a local GS and the manager was telling me how hard the PS3 is going to be because of the 400k world wide launch. I told him that it is 400,000 in the US/Canada and 80,000 in Japan with Europe waiting for March. He basically called me an idiot and that Europe gets them with everybody else does because the 400,000 is worldwide on November 17th. I told him to look it up with all of his free time (very empty Game Stop in Reno).

You didn't need that anecdote, but I felt like letting people know they are lucky when their GS/EB workers are decent to talk to.

weezbs
11-09-2006, 12:46 AM
The Gamestop by my house used to be completely awesome and a great place to kill some time. They always had at least 1 or 2 people at a time there that you could just have a good conversation with about video games . Unfortunately a new manager came in and kind of ruined all of that. Luckily now though I have two good friends of mine working the same ebgames that is almost as close as the Gamestop is to my house. I don't understand how they can stand making just over minimum wage but I'm sure its a pretty fun job.

Kamalot
11-09-2006, 01:10 AM
I wish companies would use their digital cameras to make the systems 'fake-off' if the same person stays in front of it for long enough, to kind of hint for them to GO AWAY! It would also help make electronics sections no longer be known as day-care sections.
I think this is a great idea. I can understand the problem with people who abuse kiosks but as a potential customer that drops a LOT of money on games and systems, the 15 min reboot is REALLY uncalled for.

NoName
11-09-2006, 05:05 AM
Another nice review, I really need to hit up some EBs in my area and see if there are any kiosks yet.

Stormwatcher
11-09-2006, 05:08 AM
Too lazy to re-type what I said before so here's my ctrl+v skills:

Of course its to make it harder to steal moron, the thing is worth 599 retail prob 10 times as much on ebay this xmas. BTW you probably got the people at that gamestop in trouble(if not fired) for reporting about the "trap door". Good read though.
What is wrong with you? the guy gave us an excellent article to read and you call him a moron? And "got the people at the gamestop in trouble"? Sheesh, you lose at life.

Lord Dongkey
11-09-2006, 05:53 AM

Fonz:

This post makes you look like a complete ass.

A dumb-ass, at that.

ZephidsEmbrace
11-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Fonz gives me this odd feeling like I'm playing CS :( Arrogance FOR THE WIN.

Anyway, not gonna buy a PS3, but thanks for the impressions. Definitely gonna go check it out for my allotted 15 mins.

dena miscreant
11-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Cap, how do you have such luck. Out in Pasadena they have the kiosks at both the GameStops I frequent and are waiting on a Sony Rep to set it up.

I'm not really impressed, so I'll just wait 'til I go to the Wii launch.

younewb_curtis
11-09-2006, 01:48 PM
I heard we got some kiosks in at a local Target. Just the kiosk stands and a controller though, the actual console hasn't been hooked up yet. Odd thing is, I think I remember reading somewhere that these kiosks were to have NBA Live 2007 as oen of the demo games. Now since it's cancelled, I wonder if they're going to change the demo disc.

Capn Crunch
11-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Actually younewb_curtis, the game that is being demo'd is, I believe, Sony's NBA 07 (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/740/740604p1.html). It is not EA's NBA Live 07 (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/729/729954p1.html), which is now cancelled. The names are easily confused.

Fonz
11-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Fonz:

This post makes you look like a complete ass.

A dumb-ass, at that.

Im glad your response is so rightly put like a 15 year old pretending to be 23. Thanks for your insight. I hope you feel happy about yourself. :)

Fonz
11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Fonz gives me this odd feeling like I'm playing CS :( Arrogance FOR THE WIN.

Anyway, not gonna buy a PS3, but thanks for the impressions. Definitely gonna go check it out for my allotted 15 mins.

Right thanks for over generalizing like someone who.... oh yeah plays cs and calls people "mexican jew lizards" . Right, so anyways your post is "ftw" cs kiddie.

rein
11-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Ayyyyyyy!

Fixed. :D

Adam Blue
11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Fonz, just stop. You've been called out and need to accept that.

Sandman
11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Pfft, who needs a kiosk when you'll be playing the real thing in one week!!!

rein
11-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Pfft, who needs a kiosk when you'll be playing the real thing in one week!!!

I need a Wii kiosk. I'm not getting a system at launch. I will probably hang out a little after work and get my Wii on. That or go play with my friends Wii. :o

Funny Wii story. This girl came back to work a few days ago after visiting her parents and shouts very loudly to me, "guess what I did this weekend?" Of course I asked what, and she says, "I got to play with a Wii!" My reply was, "That is great, but I thought you were a little young for that." She honestly did not realize what she was saying. The people that were in line at the cash wrap all giggled. I am sure there will be many more Wii moments. Thank you Nintendo, you even made the name fun.

DigitalFirefly
11-09-2006, 08:36 PM
My local Target got one of these today. I happen to be there just after they put it out. One of the clerks came up and asked me how I liked it and said I was the first one to play it. I played for about 25 minutes and it didn't reboot at all, I was the only person in the game section the whole time. I walked by it twice thinking it was a PS2. I was looking to see if they had a Guitar Hero demo and I saw the Sixaxis controller.

I played NBA. looked just as good as the 360. I played through 3 races of Motorstorm. The environments looked really nice. Cars looked good. I didn't like the control of the cars, but I guess it may take a little getting use to. It's hard to get a good judge of how good the graphics are when your face is a foot from the screen. You really notice imperfections that close up. Besides the game demos there were a bunch of game trailers and a couple songs. The menu interface is pretty slick. That's it. I got bored of playing and left. I was hoping for a Resistance demo.

younewb_curtis
11-10-2006, 12:12 PM
One of my local Target stores got a PS3 kisok but for some reason, they have to wait for a Sony rep ro come set it up.

safa1
11-10-2006, 10:08 PM
I am surprised Sony is not making people pay for the privilege to play a demo unit.

God knows they could use the money.

Rirath
11-10-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't understand how they can stand making just over minimum wage but I'm sure its a pretty fun job.

Haha... you obviously haven't read some of the horror stories about these places around here.