PDA

View Full Version : [Interview] Ask EA a Battle For Middle Earth Question!

Kefkataran
11-12-2006, 11:08 PM
This Wednesday and Thursday I'll be in Los Angeles for the EA LOTR Battle For Middle Earth community summit. EA will be showing off the upcoming Battle for Middle Earth II expansion, Rise of the Witch-king. I'll not only get a chance to test out the new expansion, but I'll also be able to talk to members of the development team.

So here's your chance: is there something you want to know about the Battle for Middle Earth series or EA in general? Ask it here! I'll be taking in a bunch of EvAv questions and I'll try to ask as many as possible. Make sure any questions you have are posted by Wednesday night. All the interview material I get from the EA community summit will be released on our podcast stream some time next week.

A small warning: I realize that EA and anything EA-related can raise some strong feelings, but try to keep the questions as much as possible related to BFME or, if you are going to ask something about EA on a larger scale, try not to be a dick, as I'll probably ignore it if you are. Kthx.

Adam Blue
11-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Man...this is in no way related to BFME...but the C&C3 questions are flowing like water. Or urine after a night at the club.

I'd ask them if Company of Heroes has inspired them to make some changes in the expansion, or more importantly, C&C3.

Kefkataran
11-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Adam, think some of these guys are involved in C&C3 on some level also, so I'll be happy to find out as much as I can with C&C questions too. :)

Sandman
11-12-2006, 11:33 PM
A small warning: I realize that EA and anything EA-related can raise some strong feelings, but try to keep the questions as much as possible related to BFME or, if you are going to ask something about EA on a larger scale, try not to be a dick, as I'll probably ignore it if you are. Kthx.

Before anyone asks any of these stupid questions they should check out Major Nelson's latest podcast. He has an interview with Chip Lang, Vice President of Online Commerce, EA. I'm listening to the podcast now and havn't gotten to that part but I'm sure he's more equiped to answer those questions than whoever Kefka has lined up.

Hemalin
11-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Where's my C&C DS game? Remember EA, port=money so port an RTS to that lil handheld.

Loganrapp
11-13-2006, 12:24 AM
I have nothing nice to ask, just popping in to say it's really cool to be able to get this sort of access.

Kefkataran
11-13-2006, 01:42 AM
He has an interview with Chip Lang, Vice President of Online Commerce, EA. I'm listening to the podcast now and havn't gotten to that part but I'm sure he's more equiped to answer those questions than whoever Kefka has lined up.

More than likely true, as this trip is going to be pretty focused on the BFME and RTS stuff with EA. Then again, even I'm not 100% sure who I'll run into!

I have nothing nice to ask, just popping in to say it's really cool to be able to get this sort of access.

Thanks! I'm glad to offer it. :) But it's really a reciprocal thing, y'know -- I wouldn't be able to get this kind of stuff for you guys if you guys weren't so great about visiting the site and making us bigger in the eyes of the developers and such.

mightbe
11-13-2006, 01:58 AM
So this is an expansion to the PC game?

I've only played the 360 game and thought the framerate was ass. Other than that, it was a fun little game.

Kefkataran
11-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Mightbe, I think, and I could be wrong, but I think the expansion's coming to both the PC and 360.

Sandman
11-13-2006, 02:12 AM
Mightbe, I think, and I could be wrong, but I think the expansion's coming to both the PC and 360.

It's PC only.....unless there is some un-announced marketplace download planned.

mightbe
11-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Well, if they're the guys working on the 360 expansion/downloads/whatever, ask them what they're doing to improve the framerate.

Also compliment them on their mission design and 360 interface as it was a huge leap forward for console RTS games.

Kefkataran
11-13-2006, 02:31 AM
It's PC only.....unless there is some un-announced marketplace download planned.

Huh, my bad. I'll ask if anything 360 is planned, though. You'd think since they went through all the redesign trouble to make the RTS work so smoothly on the 360 and all...

Disgustipated
11-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Can you ask why EA is a bunch of greedy cocksuckers? If you did, I'd kiss you.

Hemalin
11-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Ask them if they've met Will Wright. Also ask them how awesome Spore is going to be.

Tel Prydain
11-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I loved BfME2 on the 360, so kudos for controls that allow a console RTS to be fun.

Id be interested in what challenges the 360 version faced, and what improvements they would have made if it had been a 360 game from the ground up.

Were they happy with how it sold on 360? Did it sell enough that they will do more 360 RTS games in the future?

pseudopseudo
11-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I'd be interested in knowing how many more LoTR games need to be made before you can officially call that dead horse flogged.

I heard that BfME2 was alright, but I'd almost go out of my way to dodge a LoTR game these days. I don't know why. I loved the movies.

Tel Prydain
11-13-2006, 03:45 PM
More LoTR games! More, I say!

As long as they add more stuff from the books and avoid movie tie-ins the world of Middle-earth is as good a setting as an DnD one.

cp#
11-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Why is EA ruining video games?

Tel Prydain
11-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Witty.

10 characters

Kefkataran
11-14-2006, 12:20 AM

Why is EA ruining video games?

Some people weren't listening. Tsk tsk.

I'd be interested in knowing how many more LoTR games need to be made before you can officially call that dead horse flogged.

I heard that BfME2 was alright, but I'd almost go out of my way to dodge a LoTR game these days. I don't know why. I loved the movies.

I can answer this for them: until they don't sell anymore. That said, BFME2, by all accounts, is better than just alright. It got pretty stellar scores all around (8.3 on both 360 and PC from Gamespot, 9/10 on IGN, 8.5/10 from 1Up, 83.7 aggregate on Gamerankings). They've made some bad LOTR games, but this is one of the better.

jwbxx
11-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Can you ask them if John Madden is really a robot? Be like "Hey me and the boys from EA really want to know if John Madden is a robot, and if so who programmed him to talk about hot dogs and random shit constantly during the play by play in madden videogames ?"

Kefkataran
11-14-2006, 12:56 AM
So, uh... you didn't notice the "Battle for Middle Earth" part of "Ask EA a Battle for Middle Earth Question" huh? I don't think I'll be talking to anyone involved in the Madden or EA Sports areas. (Which is good, considering how uninterested in them I am.)

mightbe
11-14-2006, 01:12 AM
Since some folks seem more interested in drooling on their keyboards than posting constructive questions, I'll take a few more stabs.

-What do you believe is the most significant thing you're doing differently in the expansion from the core game? What made you decide to change this?

-Was there any content or units that did not make it into the game that got pushed to the expansion? Was this for techinical reasons or time constraints or something else entirely?

-Assuming this expansion is successful and you decide to make another one, what areas of Middle Earth would you like it to explore?

Kefkataran
11-14-2006, 01:41 AM
Thanks, mightbe. :) Killer questions as always.

I'm also hopefully going to have a chance to talk to some of the top BFME players.

RestlessAvenger
11-14-2006, 06:01 AM
I too would be interested in knowing if the expansion is coming to the 360 or if/how they plan on adding the 295 missing achievement points (the main reason I think that an expansion is coming to 360).

ophiuchus
11-14-2006, 11:37 PM

Believe it or not there is a valid question in there. With the big story for EA at the moment being the 360 microtransactions can you ask them this.

Now that EA Link has been launched, are internet purchasers going to be sold content that is either in the game or are EA going to sell the game "incomplete" and allow buyers to suck up the new microtransactions, just like 360 owners?

http://www.ea.com/ealink/

Rafer
11-15-2006, 12:18 AM
How about this question, "The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-Earth II, The Rise of the Witch-King (Expansion Pack)" is one of the longest titles in video game history, what was the discussion like behind the naming of the game?

flinxz
11-15-2006, 01:44 AM
I hope these make sense, I am up too late. Okay, I dislike EA more than the next guy, but I would love for this question or a similar one to be asked. I tried to be tactful.

- It is no secret that, while the casual gamer may be a fan of EA Games, a good portion of informed gamers are not. Is this ever an issue for the developers? Does it bug anyone in development to be so disliked by gamers for issues with their publisher?

Simple question:

- The SAGE engine has been in use for a while (engine used for tLotRtBfME2tRotWK) and will be used in C&C 3. Is the Tiberium Wars lot the end of the line for the engine or will there be more EA games using it?

Esquilax1138
11-15-2006, 04:36 AM
How about "Will there be any ads for Coke or Chevy Trucks in the game? Maybe a Taco Bell billboard on the Tower of Sauron? "

phantomhitman
11-15-2006, 05:15 AM
I really tried to think of good questions but I failed. Tell them to thank their bosses for me, mainly for ruining nfl games, need for speed games, soccer games, and golf games.
Yep, I am getting ignored.

RhoDaZZ
11-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Hi guys!

I just got this announcement today, and fortunately it wasn't too late. Now as far as I can see the members of this board may not have the biggest interest in RotWK seen but that's why I'd like to contribute with some questions as well.

Lets start,

Is the Angmar hero, Kharsh, only available in campaign or will you be able to use him in skirmish and multiplayer as well?

I wonder that because not much info has been given but basically just to try him out in the campaign.

Which other improvements than the new price balancing system will there be for the Create a Hero feature? For example Powers, new skins and races etc.

Now you said about EA in general?

Recently, a lot of people who are still playing the first of the Battle for Middle Earth games have wondered if you are still supporting it. So will you continue to patch the game and give support on it?

I hope those questions qualify :-)

PS Just rewrite them if you want. My bad grammar doesnt need to go public ;)

mightbe
11-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Good questions flinxz and Rho.

Welcome to the site, Rho! I <3 me some Danes!

Kefkataran
11-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Rho, welcome to the site and thanks for the more BFME focused questions! :) Obviously not a huge following for the game here, so it's nice to have at least a few questions that are a bit more specific. :)

Hemalin
11-16-2006, 12:00 AM
So are you in LA now? Was this summit a two day thing or travel up Wednsday, summit Thursday thing?

Kefkataran
11-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah, I am indeed in LA now, posting (and getting ready for the interview/activities tomorrow) from the lounge of the hotel I'm staying at. I met with the other guys here from this and a couple EA folks already tonight. I'm actually rooming with Gaming Steve. :p

Hemalin
11-16-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm actually rooming with Gaming Steve. :p
Pfff, show off.

RhoDaZZ
11-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Rho, welcome to the site and thanks for the more BFME focused questions! :) Obviously not a huge following for the game here, so it's nice to have at least a few questions that are a bit more specific. :)

hehe have a nice stay in LA :p

Kefkataran
11-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Luke?.....

mightbe
11-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Luke?.....
Eh? Luke? Did somebody say something?

Blame the DANE! *points*

RhoDaZZ
11-16-2006, 02:30 AM
:eek: