PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Year - PC

GunnyMo
12-26-2006, 06:07 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/GunnyMo/goy.jpg

Game of the Year for PC.

Voting will run through Friday, 12/29, with the results going up New Years Day.

You and your fellow readers picked these finalists, so no complaining! ;)

Com_Gaunt
12-26-2006, 06:16 AM
It's a tough choice, I am having so much fun playing both Dark Crusade and Company of Heroes skirmish coop online :)

Spigot
12-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Company of Heroes for me. I like Dark Crusade, but the tighter storyline in CoH rocks my socks.

Harlan Hoyt
12-26-2006, 06:45 AM
Half-Life 2 Episode I was an amazing five hours for me. Just an exciting, fun, incredibly well designed piece of gaming. I wish more games were as well designed, front to back.

TheKeck
12-26-2006, 06:51 AM
I really loved Episode I, but I had to vote Oblivion for game of the year.

Nikkio
12-26-2006, 07:07 AM
I was really torn between Oblivion and Half-Life, so I voted on the underdog. That and personally I think Gordon Freeman could take out my Khajiit thief any day of the week :D .

Harlan Hoyt
12-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Well, I'd vote for Oblivion, but I already voted for it in the 360 thread. Gotta spread the love around.

KIllrazor
12-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Well, I played a lot of Oblivion on the 360 but I'm having more fun playing NWN2 on the PC. I used to be a huge Baldur's Gate fan (and played the original NWN too) and NWN2 reminds me a lot of that, so it takes my vote for Game of the Year.

Disgustipated
12-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Company Of Heroes, easily.

DigitalFirefly
12-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Since 2142 isn't listed I voted for HL2

Hellbug
12-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Hands down, Company of Heroes.

Xed
12-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Hard decision, but I voted for NWN2. Oblivion comes in second. Episode 1 was pretty nice, too, but it's not really my genre.

Citizen Philip
12-26-2006, 10:27 AM
There was no CIV IV, therefore I could not in good faith vote for Company of Hero's without it being a choice.

Kefkataran
12-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Since I didn't vote Oblivion for 360, it gets my vote here. I spent a lot of time on this sucker, and I'm sure if I went back to look at all the mods and stuff I'd spend a lot more time.

51|RandoM
12-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Wow, starting to look like Oblivion might pull an upset over Company of Heroes. Kind of sad, considering Company of Heroes is better than Oblivion in every single aspect you might care to judge it by.

It will be a sad day in PC land if a console port beats out a game like Company of Heroes.

:)

Telefrog
12-26-2006, 12:14 PM
It will be a sad day in PC land if a console port beats out a game like Company of Heroes.

Welcome to 2007. Enjoy what's left of 2006. I can see a lot more of this coming up.

51|RandoM
12-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Welcome to 2007. Enjoy what's left of 2006. I can see a lot more of this coming up.

Doesn't mean we have to sit here and take it without a good deal of bitching and moaning about how the advent of console gaming has ruined PC gaming.

I mean, that has to be 25% of my post count right there, don't be knocking out one of my pillars.

Camel
12-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Wow, starting to look like Oblivion might pull an upset over Company of Heroes. Kind of sad, considering Company of Heroes is better than Oblivion in every single aspect you might care to judge it by.

Ha, you sound like me in the 360 polls saying how sad it is that Viva Pinata is getting beat by Oblivion (a game that, despite being a console port, is much better on the PC. User-made mods for the win!).

I unfortunately never played Company of Heroes, so my vote goes to Dark Crusade. I got the whole series this summer, so that is probably influencing my decision, but damn...I have had so much fun with these games it's crazy.

GrinR
12-26-2006, 12:23 PM

As Oblivion began development in 2002... I don't think it was a console port. I think it was a PC game that got roped into 360-world by MS and so appeared console-y when the PC version was released.

51|RandoM
12-26-2006, 12:27 PM
As Oblivion began development in 2002... I don't think it was a console port. I think it was a PC game that got roped into 360-world by MS and so appeared console-y when the PC version was released.

True enough, but I consider the effective outcome the same.

The PC version was released with the many symptoms of consolitus commonplace in console ports. Perhaps I should've said that in the first place.

Fortunately, it only took a week or two to give us mods to fix the small stuff like UI lists, map size, etc.

51|RandoM
12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
I unfortunately never played Company of Heroes, so my vote goes to Dark Crusade. I got the whole series this summer, so that is probably influencing my decision, but damn...I have had so much fun with these games it's crazy.

Imagine the skirmish mode that is the entirety of Dark Crusade mated with a great single-player campaign(which is lacks), then make it the Allies in WWII and you've got Company of Heroes.

The only thing technically that Dark Crusade has over Company of Heroes is variety of factions/units, which is its obvious draw.

Same company, they win either way. :P If Dark Crusade had shipped with a real campaign, I think people would be picking it for game of the year instead of CoH, at least I would.

GrinR
12-26-2006, 12:31 PM
The PC version was also shipped with the many symptoms of PC-itis, like locked machines, severe slowdown, variable framerate, and 3D sound issues.

Having gotten both, the 360 version is clearly the winner between the two.

51|RandoM
12-26-2006, 12:39 PM
The PC version was also shipped with the many symptoms of PC-itis, like locked machines, severe slowdown, variable framerate, and 3D sound issues.

The game also shipped with the amazing feature common to PCs that allows you to avoid all of those problems you mentioned.

Variable settings.

You're damning the PC version for allowing you to press the limits of what your particular PC can do while praising the console version for not allowing you to do anything.

Apples and oranges. It isn't even the game you're complaining about now, it is the hardware/OS underneath it.

People will still be playing new mods for Oblivion on PC long after the console version has been traded in. I suppose that is bad too, chuckle.

captainstrombosis
12-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I have to agree with Random on that. I have been able to play Oblivion just fine out of the box... *gasp* because I had a system capable of handling it. I would also like to mention that Oblivion is a pretty shitty experience without a fair amount of mods. Which is the same reason it doesn't get my vote for game of the year.

Gpig
12-26-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought Company of Heroes was really good after beating the beach level. It just looked so amazing ...and then I had to set up an ambush on a convoy in map 2 with my rocket squads. It had me from then on.

Spigot
12-26-2006, 02:42 PM
I have to agree with Random on that. I have been able to play Oblivion just fine out of the box... *gasp* because I had a system capable of handling it. I would also like to mention that Oblivion is a pretty shitty experience without a fair amount of mods. Which is the same reason it doesn't get my vote for game of the year.
I was able to play Oblivion out of the box too... once I bought a brand new PC to play it on. Once I did that, and loaded up all the mods to fix the rampant consolitis, it was fine. It's also one of those games that I really, really want to play but I'll be damned if I can find the time to squeeze it in around all the other games I'm playing at the moment.

Wyrm
12-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Bleh Oblivion is not a good game...

Where's Rise of Legends?

Nite_Moogle
12-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Where's Rise of Legends?
Buried by the vastly superior Company of Heroes and to a lesser extent Dark Crusade.

swiftdraw
12-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Voted for HL2: Ep.1 because I simply liked it the best.

*Never play Company of Heroes
*ES4: Oblivion my PC was unfortunately not up to the task to run in the bigger battles (got nasty lag when more than five people fought in the area), so it got unloaded and shelved until I do.
*From what I heard NWN2 was a buggy mess that wasn't all that interesting.
*Dark Crusade is fun, and I still play it, but Half Life 2 was a better gaming experience IMO.

Jambe
12-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Oblivion. Not highly innovative in a grand scheme, but so many little things are done well that the shortcomings are easily overlooked. Drawing from my post on the 360 votes, I think it's dumb to have these genre-straddling GotY awards as they are far to broad to retain any meaning, but perhaps I must conform to an established mode of game recognition (regardless of its ninny-ism) to simply voice my opinion.

Que sera, sera.

EL CABONG
12-26-2006, 04:38 PM

I got both versions too but I pretty much only play the 360 one.

Stormwatcher
12-26-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm really very disappointed that Oblivion is leading. It's a good game, but HL2, CoH and Dark Crusade were all better.

Nikkio
12-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Well I voted HL2, and I've never played CoH, but I don't understand all the oblivion bashing. I thought that game was awsome through and through on the PC. It was one of the few games my girlfriend would force me off the PC to play herself. My girls a gamer in here own right, but thats a pretty good game to ger her that absorbed into it. I have to though that this is voting is pretty genre specific. I mean if you're an FPS fan you basically have to vote HL2, and if you're an RPG fan you get Oblivion, and RTS fans get CoH. Actually everyone wins this year it seems...

dena miscreant
12-26-2006, 06:08 PM
WHAT>?!>?!#? Np BFG@142??? joking

EDIT: Honestly, I hadn't played Battlefield since 1942, so I thought it was an awesome game. Despite the questionable software it came with. Forgot to nominate it.

Limech
12-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Ok, BF2142 isn't listed? That's it, back to playing the game of the year, regardless what other people say.

Adam Blue
12-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Even though I voted CoH(I love DC too..such a perfect game), I am surprised BF2142 isn't on here. All future online FPS's will mimic this game.

Mortis
12-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Titan Que....ah damn. I didn't play any of these (played CoH beta and Oblivion on 360) so no vote from me.

dena miscreant
12-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Yea, we didn't nominate it, I guess. I don't have the patience to go look it up. Edited my previous post a bit.

Ultima Thulian
12-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Company of Heroes, though I'd vote for Oblivion too. Tough choice for me.

ÜberJumper
12-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Company of Heroes > All.

I can't wait for Vista and DX10 to see what Relic's done with the graphics.

PopoWRX
12-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Played Oblivion and CoH but it has to be CoH easily. One of the most immersive and chaotic rts's I've ever played.

Mad-E-Fact
12-29-2006, 05:58 AM
"if you're an RPG fan you get Oblivion"

That's the whole point; Oblivion is not an RPG. It's an action game with stats, with laughable dialogue and a boring game world devoid of meaningful choices and consequences. I'll be disappointed if a game like this gets to be GOTY.

phantomhitman
12-29-2006, 06:15 AM
awe man, no loving for gtr on the pc?