PDA

View Full Version : [Hardware] - Gaming Mice Reviews Part 2 - The Logitech MX518

bapenguin
09-16-2005, 06:00 AM
Gaming Mice Review: Part 2 The Logitech MX518

Welcome to part 2 of my 5 part series of gaming mice reviews.

Last week we looked at the Razer Diamondback Plasma. (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5212) The mouse was incredibly accurate and the main buttons were well designed. The mouse was great for lefty or righty gamers, but I felt it was slightly uncomfortable.

This week we look at Logitech’s MX518 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2142,CONTENTID=10121), a mouse similar in features, but cheaper in price to the Razer Diamondback.

The Logitech MX518

Technical Specifications:
• Image Processing: 5.8 mega pixels/second
• Resolution: 1600-dpi native, adjustable to 400- and 800-dpi
• 5.8 mega pixel/second image processing
• Acceleration: 15 g
• Throughput: 16 bit/axis USB data format, and 125/sec USB report rate

http://www.evilavatar.com/images/reviews/mice/mx518.jpg

The nice thing about the Logitech MX518 is its very similar in shape and size to the MX700 Cordless mouse which I was familiar with. I tried to not let this bias my review and impressions of it. Remember, my hands are of average size.

The nice thing about the MX518 compared to the Razer is it has on the fly resolution adjustments in hardware. No drivers required to switch between the 3 settings. There is a little + and – button above and below the scroll wheel to accomplish this.

http://www.evilavatar.com/images/reviews/mice/4mice.jpg
The Logitech MX518, Logitech MX700, Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, Razer Diamondback Plasma (and a CD).

Another thing that I didn’t really notice before with the Diamondback is the quality of the wires. The wires on the MX518 are a bit “cheaper” and tend to snag more than they did on the Razer Diamondback. The MX518 is definitely heavier than the Razer, and I’m not sure if I like that better or not. The buttons on the MX518 are one solid piece of plastic, instead of the nice huge rubber grips on the Diamondback. The mouse has a “dented” metal look to it, and has a pretty nice black and silver color scheme.

In gaming, I again used BF2 as my main testing grounds. The mouse performs on par with the Razer, though I think it’s SLIGHTLY less accurate. Using the mouse is effortless and it glides around with ease while gaming. I found sniping and shooting just as easy as compared to the Razer.

I was asked to test the tracking while picking the mouse up off the gaming surface and putting it back down. The mouse tracked about 1/3” off the surface, and when placing the mouse back down it didn’t really jump to a new location on the screen rapidly, it only had a slight shake. The thing is, with the resolution so high on these gaming mice, you don’t even need to lift it up to do a full 360 degree turn. It took about 3 ˝” to accomplish a full turn with the MX518 (at full resolution). This is compared to a little under 3” with the Diamondback and about 6 ˝” with the MX700.

I tried the mouse in other FPS like Doom 3 and the F.E.A.R. demo. I noticed it seemed to be on par with the Diamondback in Doom 3, but felt a little lacking in F.E.A.R. much like BF2.

I used the mouse with Guild Wars as well, and this is where it excelled over the Diamondback. This mouse is much more comfortable and I found it much easier to move around and click things faster, control the camera, etc.

Using the mouse was easy and effortless for everyday functions, and the ease of the on the fly resolution adjust with a quick click is much better than holding a button and using the scroll wheel like the Diamondback. Because the mouse felt a little more solid, I found it easier to use for everyday functions.

The mouse is definitely designed for righty gamers only. It’s contoured to your hands shape, and rests your thumb along the side in a ridge. There are button, and forward and a back here that are easy to press and discern between.

Here is fellow Evil Avatar reader Knite’s impressions: (someone with large hands)

Pleasantly designed, but not possessing the raw "sports car sexiness" of the Diamondback. Its' high slung curves, and well constructed frame feel very solid, and heavier than the Diamondback. The top mouse buttons, as well as the ones along the side are well placed and easy to use, and the "on the fly resolution" controls are PERFECT. However, because of the shape of this mouse, I felt my pinky and ring fingers forced together a little into the desk, making it a little uncomfortable after some use. The movement was fairly smooth, but not the buttery experience the Diamondback was, and I preferred the Diamondback's light weight to the heft of this one.
Overall, I felt this was a very good mouse, but I did not enjoy it as much as the Razer.

My Buddy "Gus" again had a go with this mouse. (someone with smaller than average hands):
This mouse has a great feel. Good sense of control. My hand rests on it with ease. The buttons are at a good distance. The hardware sensitivity adjustment is a big bonus. There is no button on the right side, I like that. More control less chance to accidentaly hit that extra side button. Glides very easily over a regular table. Nice look and feel, easy clicking, smooth wheel. so far... the best mouse I've ever used. Only negative thing I can think of is that maybe in future versions they might want to focus on improving the thumb rest. (may want to lower it. it seems a little high for small hands) I like it but because the mouse glides so well it sometimes slips away from me!

Conclusion
I really like the mouse. In fact, I do think I like it better than Razer Diamondback. Even though it doesn't feel as accurate, it's more than adequate for gaming. The comfort level for me personally is much improved for the Diamondback, but this is a righty only mouse. The MX518 has a much better implementation of on the fly resolution adjustment. Overall it's a winner, but it's still not the perfect mouse.

4.5 out of 5 Evil Eyes.
http://www.evilavatar.com/images/icons/e4.5.jpg

MSRP: $49.99
Get it from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007Z1M50/happyapplefar-20?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1) or from Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826104178).

TheKeck
09-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Hmmmm, I have the feeling that once these reviews are all over, I'll still need to go out and see which one is best for me. Oh well, I don't see how you could solve that problem. Another good review. Thanks bapenguin.

Ernst_Jager
09-16-2005, 07:37 AM
This is the mouse I use and I love it. Very nice fit for my hands (average size I would say.) I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good mouse with features availble for more than just gaming.

bapenguin
09-16-2005, 07:48 AM
Hmmmm, I have the feeling that once these reviews are all over, I'll still need to go out and see which one is best for me. Oh well, I don't see how you could solve that problem. Another good review. Thanks bapenguin.

That's kinda why I'm getting impressions from people with different sized hands. After it's all over I'm going to have a round up review and give recommendations.

AboveAvgCharles
09-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Are the hardware resolution adjustments programmable? Or are they set resolutions? Or incremental?

bapenguin
09-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Are the hardware resolution adjustments programmable? Or are they set resolutions? Or incremental?

Both mice with driver support have programmable. The Logitech via hardware only has 3 levels.

MrMeatshake
09-16-2005, 08:32 AM
how many buttons does this mouse have? and does it come in a more 'everyday' colour scheme, at all?

bapenguin
09-16-2005, 08:38 AM
8 buttons technically, though only 6 are usable (the +/- for resolution doesn't count). Nope, only one color scheme.

AboveAvgCharles
09-16-2005, 08:47 AM
So even though the built in hardware resolution functionality of the Logitech mouse is not programmable, you found it to be a better solution than the Razer? Please, tell me more. The resolution-on-the-fly features are one of the main things I'm looking for, and having customizability seems to be a better option to me... is it just that the Razer's solution is cumbersome?

Another great review, I appreciate these.

omnithrope
09-16-2005, 08:52 AM
This is the mouse I use, and I love it.
I'd recommend it to anyone.

I actually used it in conjunction with my RF mouse for a while (I used the RF for windows, and the MX518 for gaming), but I finally just stopped using the RF mouse because the MX is so good.

You won't be disappointed if you get one. Really.

(And, are you seriously worried about color, MrMeatshake? Does that affect your gameplay?)

omnithrope
09-16-2005, 08:53 AM
So even though the built in hardware resolution functionality of the Logitech mouse is not programmable, you found it to be a better solution than the Razer? Please, tell me more. The resolution-on-the-fly features are one of the main things I'm looking for, and having customizability seems to be a better option to me... is it just that the Razer's solution is cumbersome?

Another great review, I appreciate these.

Uh, you can change the resolution on the fly. There are three settings, and you can adjust every one of the three settings to whatever resolution you want (via logitech's software). Honestly? I just keep it at max resolution all the time. There's no reason to change it... ever.

I don't know where you're getting this information from.

AboveAvgCharles
09-16-2005, 08:59 AM
Uh, you can change the resolution on the fly. There are three settings, and you can adjust every one of the three settings to whatever resolution you want (via logitech's software). Honestly? I just keep it at max resolution all the time. There's no reason to change it... ever.

I don't know where you're getting this information from.

My mistake, I misinterpreted what I read. Thanks for the clarification.

Dirty Harry
09-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Ive always found logitech mice to be well made and pretty good for the bang versus the buck.

Knite
09-16-2005, 07:24 PM
AboveAvgCharles : There's a few reasons I feel the Logitech "on the fly resolution" is better.

#1. It's hardware based. Which means even if you don't load the drivers, the resolution buttons function, unlike the Razer.
#2. There's a + and a - resolution buttons. The Razer needs a combination of holding in a mouse button while moving the scroll wheel. If you're planning on changing resolutions during a game, I find Razer's method basically impossible. (it functions, it's just cumbersome.)

The Iron Weasel
09-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Its nice to know that i got the right mouse for my new gaming rig (AMD64 FX-57 + 7800GTX)

Everlost_MI
09-18-2005, 10:15 AM
The wires on the MX518 are a bit “cheaper” and tend to snag more than they did on the Razer Diamondback

I used this mouse when previewing Quake 4 and I agree with bap's assessment of the mouse especially in regards to the wire having a tendency to be snag more than other mice I've used. Aside from that it was a great mouse and it has tempted me to go back to the Dark Side after being a trackball user for over four years.

Chagrinful
10-14-2005, 09:15 PM
What happened to the rest of these? I searched the forum and the other parts are nowhere to be found :/ you should do one for the G5 just cuz.