PDA

View Full Version : Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews - Week 32

Everlost_MI
10-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Welcome to week thirty-two of Evil Avatar’s Weekly Comic Book Reviews.

The Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway for week thirty-two is Goon 25 cent comic (A reprint of Goon #1) courtesy of BCBcomics (http://www.bcbcomics.com/). The deadline for entry submissions for week thirty-two is Sunday, October 16th. The selection of the random winner for the October books will occur on Sunday October 30th. Click here (everlost_mi@evilavatar.com) to submit your entry and don’t forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname. Remember, you can submit one entry each week to increase your chances of winning.

The list of books that are going to be given away for the month of October are:

• Captain America #10
• Cable & Deadpool #20
• Goon 25 cent comic (A reprint of Goon #1)

If you’re tired of missing out on your regular or new comics then you’re in need of a reliable comic book subscription provider. Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway provider, BCBcomics (http://www.bcbcomics.com/) offers comic book subscriptions (http://www.bcbcomics.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=7
) with many fringe benefits including no hidden costs, 20% off of cover price, all issues are bagged and boarded PLUS free* shipping for orders over $14.99 and cheap* shipping for orders under $14.99 (*see BCBcomics’ website (http://www.bcbcomics.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=7
) for the details).

Remember, these are NOT spoiler-free reviews.

The books that have been reviewed are: Marvel Monsters: Devil Dinosaur #1, JSA #78 and New Thunderbolts #13
http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/marvel-devil-dino.jpg http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/jsa078.jpg http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/tbolts13.jpg

Everlost_MI
10-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Week Thirty-two:

Marvel Monsters: Devil Dinosaur #1 (One shot)
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Writers: Tom Sniegoski, Eric Powell, Jack Kirby & Dick Ayers
Artists: Eric Powell, Jack Kirby & Dick Ayers
Cover Artist: Eric Powell
Colors: J.D. Mettler
Letters: Dave Lanphear
Editor: Mark Paniccia
Price: $3.99 US/$5.75 CAN

http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/marvel-devil-dino.jpg

This is the first issue in the series of four stand-alone monster themed issues being published under the flag of Marvel Monsters Group. The idea behind the series is a throwback to the days when comics focused on monsters more than superheroes.

This first story, “The Battle That Time Forgot,” revolves around the Celestials viewing and interfering with the evolution of the Earth by introducing the Devil Dinosaur and a temporally misplaced Hulk. The story has some tongue in cheek humor in reference to various points in the primary Marvel universe but as a whole the story is rather boring and uninspiring. Aside from the slight humor, the artwork created by Eric Powell of Goon fame is vibrant and quite enjoyable. The second story, “I Was A Slave Of The Living Hulk” is a “classic” Jack Kirby/Dick Ayers story with more cheese than any diary farm could produce in a week. It provides an interesting look at what passed for stories in 1960. It was hard to even read the story once.

Bottom Line:
This title is not worth your money or time. Save your money for something else, like gas for your car.

1/10

JSA #78 (An ongoing series)
Publisher: DC Comics
Writer: Keith Champagne
Penciller: Don Kramer
Cover Artist: Alex Ross
Inker: Keith Champagne
Colorist: John Kalisz
Letterer: Rob Leigh
Editor: Peter Tomasi
Price: $2.50 US/$3.50CAN

http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/jsa078.jpg

This issue marks the return of Mordru as he is released from the prison that the Shazam wizard crafted for him. The issue is not accessible to new readers as Keith Champange’s script took off in various directions creating great amounts of confusion and lack of any real excitement. However, the artwork that Don Kramer and Champange created is decent and the cover by Alex Ross is superb.

Bottom Line:
If you are a regular JSA reader I am sure you will enjoy this issue and be on the edge of your seat with the results of the storyline. Otherwise, avoid this issue if you are new to the JSA series, it is not easily accessible to new readers.

5/10

New Thunderbolts #13(An ongoing series)
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Writer: Fabian Nicieza
Penciller: Tom Grummett
Inker: Gary Erskine
Color Art: SotoColor’s K. Brown
Letterer: RS & Comicraft’s Albert Deschesne
Editor: Tom Brevoort
Price: $2.99 US/$4.25 CAN

http://www.evilavatar.com/images/thumbs/comics/tbolts13.jpg

Last issue marked a major team shake-up with M.A.C.H. IV leaving the team which forced Songbird in the leadership chair. Songbird then dismissed Blizzard and asked to have Joystick be taken into Federal custody, which hasn’t occurred because the request is still under review by Feds. A few subplots are touched upon in this issue, Goliath and Dallas Riordan’s history as well as the reappearance of the Fixer. However, the primary story revolves around the Commission on Superhuman Activity (CSA) tapping the Thunderbolts to take down the “renegade” New Avengers.

Fabian Nicieza is using the “classic” clichéd story of the former (?) bad guys attempting to take down the misunderstood good guys only to find out that both sides have been played, but not before a huge battle royal has occurred. The pacing, dialogue and characterizations are decent but the entire issue feels like it was done by a “paint by the numbers” method. The artwork by Tom Grummett and Gary Erskine is passable as it doesn’t add or detract from the story. It must be mentioned that Marvel is doing a horrible job of keeping the continuity and timeliness of crossover plot lines between the various titles in both the main and Ultimate universes.

Bottom Line:
As a whole this is an issue that sets up an unimaginative battle royal between the New Thunderbolts and the New Avengers. The issue is a decent jump on point for new readers of either the New Thunderbolts and the New Avengers. Otherwise, if you’re looking for something new to try, keep looking.

5/10

What else is worth reading this week…
• Fell #2 – Funky atmospheric artwork combined with a chilling story by Warren Ellis make this little gem worth the money.

The Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway for week thirty-two is Goon 25 cent comic (A reprint of Goon #1) courtesy of BCBcomics (http://www.bcbcomics.com/). The deadline for week thirty-two entry submissions is Sunday, October 16th.

If you’re tired of missing out on your regular or new comics then you’re in need of a reliable comic book subscription provider. Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway provider, BCBcomics (http://www.bcbcomics.com/) offers comic book subscriptions (http://www.bcbcomics.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=7
) with many fringe benefits including no hidden costs, 20% off of cover price, all issues are bagged and boarded PLUS free* shipping for orders over $14.99 and cheap* shipping for orders under $14.99 (*see BCBcomics’ website (http://www.bcbcomics.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=7
) for the details).

Click here (everlost_mi@evilavatar.com) to submit your entry and don’t forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname.

Remember, you can submit one entry per week to increase your chances of winning.

Moatman
10-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Last week wasn't a stellar week for comics, that's true. The week before it was pretty huge though, so it does balance out somewhat...though this week is a pretty big deal for DC fans, Infinite Crisis finally "fully" kicks off with #1. We also should get villains united #6 and find out who mockingbird is and get house of m #7 to find out who is "controlling" wanda.

mister_slim
10-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Man, I finally got around to picking up Desolation Jones and Fell, and there are none available. I guess I'll be waiting for the trade.

Kefkataran
10-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Waiting for the trade on Fell is shitty cause of how good Fell is, but on Desolation Jones it's pure torture since it's bi-monthly, so it'll be a nice long while before a DJ trade is out.

I dropped JSA starting this month since Johns stopped writing. After reading this review, I'm glad I did!

Kefkataran
10-10-2005, 04:42 PM
INFINITE CRISIS SPOILERS! YOU WERE WARNED.

Heresyte: It's basically a huge universe-spanning DC event. You don't NEED to read every comic DC puts out to understand, but since the event touches every corner of the DC universe, there are tie-ins in many of them, so many give extra bits of story.

The Countdown to Infinite Crisis begain with a one-shot entitled "Countdown to Infinite Crisis" (aptly enough). It was a four-part story that, among other things, contained the death of the Blue Beetle. It ended with a spin-off into four mini-series that were each six issues long. Three of those four have ended, and the last will end this Wednesday. They were as follows:

Day of Vengeance: A mini following a group of third-rate DC magic heroes who have been pretty under-used and under-appreciated. They had to try and stop the Spectre who, now hostless and under the influence of Eclipso, was on a rampage to try and destroy all magic. It ended with the death of Shazam, the wizard who gave Captain Marvel his power, and the destruction of magic as we know it in the DC universe. The idea, I think, is that magic still exists but it's going to be much more chaotic and uncontrollable now.

OMAC Project: This seemed to be the main of the four minis as it followed the biggest heroes (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, among others in the JLA) and featured some of the most shocking scenes. Basically, the premise is that Batman has spent years building a computer system/satellite combo containing all the info (secret identities, weaknesses, etc.) on every super-powered hero and villain in the DC universe. Unfortunately, the program was secretly hijacked and taken over by Checkmate, a mysterious organization run by newly-villified, Blue Beetle-killing Maxwell Lord (Lord had previously been a sort-of good guy who was in charge of the JLA for a while). Among the shockers in this one: Max Lord takes control of Superman and uses him to fight Wonder Woman, who is eventually forced to snap Lord's neck to stop him, a huge character development for Wonder Woman. After that, Brother I (the AI at the head of the OMAC program) launches into the special stuff Lord had designed it to do at his death -- namely turning several million people into OMACs, super-powered machines that exist to destroy heroes. At the end of the series, the huge number of OMACs is lowered to a couple hundred thousand. Still enough to be a major threat to all the heroes of the DCU, but also enough to handle.

Rann/Thanagar War: This one was the one I was least interested in. It's all about the sci-fi aspect of the DC universe. Basically, a war is going on between Rann and Thanagar. This is normal fare for the two. Then an ancient evil by the name of Onimar Synn is unleashed. Both forces are nearly brought to their knees until they unite to stop Synn. Some major heroes (a couple Green Lanterns, Hawkman, Hawkwoman), and some not-so-major (Captain Comet, Tigor) are involved, and at the end some strange space anamoly is revealed that is still a major threat.

and finally Villains United: Lex Luthor has created a huge society of villains containing nearly EVERY villain who has ever fought in the DCU. By bringing them together, they can finally fight as a viable force against the DCU's heroes. This mini, though, focuses on a group of third and fourth-rung villains who decide not to join Luthor. They're called the Secret Six and include such oft-time-losers as Catman and Deadshot among their ranks. They come together under the lead of a mysterious figure known only as Mockingbird who threatens their family should they not cooperate. This one finishes this week with the revelation of who Mockingbird really is. It's extremely well-written and seems to be pushing Catman up as both a hero and an actual damned good hero instead of the laughable figure he's been before this. Should be interesting to see where it goes.

Okay. Phew. So.

Later this month, now that the Countdown minis are finished, they all come together in a series called (get this) Infinite Crisis. It's a 7-issue monthly mini that will be extra-sized and contain characters from every imaginable corner of the DC universe fighting some overall threat that has yet to be revealed. There is rumored to be a lot of changes in stores in terms of heroes dying and mantles being passed on and the like. One of the coolest things I'm looking forward to is the One Year Later leap -- after issue five of Infinite Crisis, EVERY comic that takes place in the DC Universe will leap forward one year. You'll be seeing the aftermath of what happens in the last two issues of Infinite Crisis before it hits the stands. I'm very excited to see what people do with that. Finally, after Infinite Crisis is finished, part of the fallout will include a ground-breaking series currently titled 52*. The series will be weekly and told in real-time over one year (52 weeks). It will give the skinny on what happened during the year that was skipped over.

So that was a mouthful. What's the big deal with IC? Well, DC has pumped it up as something that will change everything. That's claimed often enough in the comic business and not often achieved, but so far they seem to be living up to it, and even better, almost everything related to IC has been very well-written and strong. Maybe it will all go bust in a couple months when we're actually strong into IC, but so far I'm excited.

Evil Avatar
10-10-2005, 06:52 PM
I nominate Kefkataran for best post of the week. The prize is a signed copy of the new comic book of his choice. The downside is that I'll be the one signing it and I plan on signing "Have a burrito on me." -Harry Knowles

Kefkataran
10-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Ah, thanks for that. It makes a lot more sense now. I'm glad I ordered Infinite Crisis #1, it sounds like it will be cool.

Glad I could be of service! :) If you want to get caught up on the backstory Countdown stuff:

First, reading Identity Crisis can't hurt. It just got released in trade format. It's not half-bad, and Geoff Johns (IC writer) says it's sort of an unofficial prequel.

Second, all the Countdown minis I mentioned above will be released in individual trades (one for each series), two in November and two in December.

Also, recent interviews with Johns have him saying that Infinite Crisis is in every way meant to be a jumping-on point for people to enter the DC universe. It's confusing in some ways, because there are so many characters from all over the DCU, but he said they also try to make it as simple and not bogged-down by continuity as possible. Johns is a good, clear writer too, so hopefully that'll be true.

I nominate Kefkataran for best post of the week. The prize is a signed copy of the new comic book of his choice. The downside is that I'll be the one signing it and I plan on signing "Have a burrito on me." -Harry Knowles

HA! I've been eyeing that My Little Pony comic for weeks, and now I really have no reason to not pick it up!

mister_slim
10-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Nice job, Kefkataran. I do feel as though I've spent the last two weeks having Grant Morrison piped directly into my brain, but I assume that will pass.

It might just be the alcohol, though.

Kefkataran
10-11-2005, 12:23 AM
You speak of having Grant Morrison piped directly into your brain as though it's a bad thing?

Seriously, the fact that Morrison is playing such a huge part in the post-Infinite Crisis DC universe is porbably one of the most exciting parts of it for me. It helps me realize that quality isn't going to suffer as soon as this is over.