Evil Avatar  

Go Back   Evil Avatar > Blogs > sai tyrus

Rate this Entry

What's in the box? The jump from Console to PC...

Posted 12-17-2012 at 07:23 PM by sai tyrus

Over at my blog, I briefly muse over the possiblities of a Steam box and talk about my unexpected transition from console to PC.

Quote:
My transition from a console gamer to a PC gamer surprised me more than anyone. If I have any regret it’s that I have some amazing friends that I’ve gamed with on consoles. I personally have mixed feelings about a possible “Steam box” coming from Valve. First off, I think its entirely possible that you can have a console-like PC for $300 to $400 USD. The question is, will that actually happen. Secondly, I think that if you have multiple companies making “Steam boxes,” i.e., PCs with Steam pre-loaded on it, you’re going to have a disparity of sorts in manufacturers. This in itself isn’t a problem. The only issue I see on that front is because you have different manufacturers, you’re not going to have them advertising the thing. The Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are under the umbrella of their respective companies, Microsoft and Sony. As such, Microsoft and Sony promote them. If there are multiple “Steam boxes” being made by different companies, I don’t see a solid marketing campaign. And without that, I’m not sure such a thing will be financially successful. Regardless, the only thing we really know is that Valve founder Gabe Newell believes multiple companies will be releasing simple PCs in the upcoming generation of consoles. Also, Valve will be releasing some kind of hardware themselves.

“Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment. If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that’s what some people are really gonna want for their living room.” – Gabe Newell

So, it sounds like the real apocalypse wasn’t in Y2K. Nor will it be when the Mayan Calendar ends. The real apocalypse that matters is the gaming apocalypse. And if it does come, I have a simple tip on going from console to PC...
Full write-up here.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 9125 Comments 0 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments