Evil Avatar  

Go Back   Evil Avatar > Blogs > Gaming Hell

Hey, you've reached the blog of Jim Hunter (aka modeps) on EvilAvatar.com... please leave a message after the beep.
  1. Old Comment

Kinect Musings

Curmudgeon!
  2. Old Comment

Kinect Musings

After seeing their demos I am more convinced than ever that both the technology was a bad idea from the ground up and that it is destined to fail with consumers and developers.

When your technology is limited to jumping, leaning and waving your arms the type of games you can make with that technology are so limited that what we have seen up to date is all we will ever see from Kinect.

At least Move is an attempt to replicate the success of the Wii on a 1 to 1 basis.
  3. Old Comment

Kinect Musings

I personally am more impressed with it now, than I was in the past.

Previously, I had no desire - at all - for Natal, but after seeing some of the videos & the stuff coming out for it (including the Star Wars game my friend is working on), I am more on the fence (perhaps even leaning over slightly).

We'll see how things play out.
  4. Old Comment

Kinect Musings

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prence View Comment
    You still think its worth it for 150 bucks?
    Price hasn't been confirmed, but $150 isn't a bad deal considering what Sony's charging for their motion devices. Kinect has everything you need to have two players at once, while you need to shell out close to $200 for two players on Move.
  5. Old Comment

Kinect Musings

You still think its worth it for 150 bucks?
  6. Old Comment

Starting Over

Yeah, I'll just be streaming it to my 360 or PS3, or playing them on my iPod in my car stereo... I'd like it to be great quality, but nothing completely special. I don't need perfect copies. What's the deal with VBR? Wasn't that the hotness for a while?
  7. Old Comment

Starting Over

I keep hearing about this Media Monkey software. Haven't tried it yet.

I just manually organize my collection and use WinAmp, but Windows 7 makes keeping things organized fairly easy.
  8. Old Comment

Starting Over

Before I offer advice, I'd want to know what you're looking to accomplish with this new music library. I wanted a perfect, lossless copy of all my CDs on my PC, so I used dbpoweramp, ripped to FLAC using their Secure Ripping (AccurateRip) feature which basically checks the rip against a DB of other users rips of the same content and either deems it error free or not. I used their PerfectMeta system for meta tags and album art. Although you can change the file system, mine is setup in folders Artist->Album->Songs. So it's simple to navigate via the file system - but who really does that any more? Meta data is where it's at. I stream that to a media extender or use a Windows FLAC player to hear the music. I then batch converted everything I wanted on my MP3 player to, well, MP3.

Pros - exact copy of music on HDD; ability to convert to any other format at any bitrate; perfect tagging and file system structure; never have to rip again.

Cons - take up more room on the HDD; have to convert to another format (probably) based on your components; dbpoweramp costs $$$, but not much - and the free trial is long enough to take care of your entire collection probably.
  9. Old Comment

On Sourcing

Or when it appears on volunteer run sites first but then the pro guys avoid linking in order to not look like they are shirking work.
  10. Old Comment

On Sourcing

I love it when the stories just MAGICALLY APPEAR days later, on a news site, and there is no source like they just HAPPENED to stumble upon it after the rest of the Internet reported on it for days.
  11. Old Comment

Look at my Horse Avatars

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anenome View Comment
    Yeah, I made the BG darker so it would stand out more. And no frame, obviously
    I'm an idiot.
  12. Old Comment

Look at my Horse Avatars

Yeah, I made the BG darker so it would stand out more. And no frame, obviously
  13. Old Comment

Look at my Horse Avatars

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anenome View Comment
    Oh I see how it is, snagging that one for yourself and then not posting it, heh ;P
    haha I made mine before I made all of these! (and ours are different!)
  14. Old Comment

Look at my Horse Avatars

Oh I see how it is, snagging that one for yourself and then not posting it, heh ;P
  15. Old Comment

Look at my Horse Avatars

Hey Mo, I made you another one from the super-hard-to-capture frame of the horse with crazy-face

Get it while img-shack keeps it live.
  16. Old Comment

Look at my Horse Avatars

Shut up woman and get on my horse!

~Shela Monster
  17. Old Comment

Welcome to Hell.

Thanks Shela, you be good people... and look at that rack!
  18. Old Comment

Welcome to Hell.

Aww... we love you Jim!
    *flashes bewbs*

~Shela Monster