Evil Avatar  

Go Back   Evil Avatar > Blogs > BeardedSonOfNel

Rate this Entry

Next Gen Blues Follow Up

Posted 11-01-2013 at 11:35 AM by BeardedSonOfNel
Tags pc gaming

Next Gen Blues Follow Up

A little over four months ago I decided to get back into PC gaming, and I wrote a blog explaining my tribulations about moving forward into the next generation of consoles. At the end of the blog I stated that I had bought the parts to build out a new gaming tower. Those parts arrived a few days after the post of that blog on a Friday afternoon. Somewhere around 10:00 PM CDT that new PC was build, hooked up to my 50íí TV, and was ready to entertain.

I built the machine on a budget. It has an AMD eight core FX processor, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM Drive, ASRock MB, Rosewill case, 700 Watt Rosewill power supply, and an Nvidia 560 Ti. The total cost of the hardware was just a little over $700.00. So the rig isnít a powerhouse but it does play most games at 1080p, and they look better than my 360 and PS3 titles. Itís also nice to not have to worry about backward compatibility too. I do have plenty of older PC games, and so far all of them seem to work on Windows 8. DosBox is also great!

The first game I bought for the new machine was Bioshock Infinite. The game ran very well, and worked flawlessly with my 360 gamepad. I have to say it was awesome being able to kick back in my favorite chair, and play a PC game on my 50íí screen. After that experience ninety percent of my game purchases have been for the PC. I have bought a couple of titles for the 360, but only because those titles lacked controller support on the PC (Iím looking at you Telltale Games)! Itís not that I donít like mouse/kb controls, but I have yet to find a good setup that works well in the living room.

Speaking of mouse/kb Iím using a wireless keyboard with a track pad built in which has worked well for navigating Windows, and launching games, and apps. I find that Iím starting to use the PC as my video streaming device as well. It is slowly taking over that job from the Xbox as well. Iím using Hulu now which I wasnít on the Xbox because I already pay for Amazon Prime, and Netflix, and I refuse to pay for a streaming service (Hulu Plus) that still runs Ads. I will say that I do miss controlling the playback via my voice the way I can with Kinect. Before anyone says you can do voice control on the PC too; I just want to say Iíve played with it, and in a living room setting the Kinect just works better.

Just prior to the writing of this blog entry my video card died, so Iím replacing it with an Nvidia 660 that is factory overclocked with 2 GB or RAM. While Iím bummed that my 560 Ti died well before its time, Iím happy I got a great deal on the 660 (it comes with Splinter Cell Blacklist, and AC Black Flag, and a $20.00 rebate). It should be on my doorstep waiting for me after work today.
The new consoles are just around the corner, and for the first time in two generations Iím not wrapped up in the hype. Iíll miss the new Forza, but other than that there isnít a launch title for either new system that I want that I canít get for the PC.

Itís good to be back home on the PC.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 36844 Comments 4 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Fuck yeah dude. Glad you're enjoying it. My cousin has a similar set up. Inspired me for future builds. Hit me up if ya ever wanna game! I have practically no PC crowd to game with. Regardless, happy you're digging it! Game on brotha!
  2. Old Comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Comment
    Fuck yeah dude. Glad you're enjoying it. My cousin has a similar set up. Inspired me for future builds. Hit me up if ya ever wanna game! I have practically no PC crowd to game with. Regardless, happy you're digging it! Game on brotha!
    Thanks Man! I'm not much of an online gamer, but every once in a while I get a bug up my ass to do it. I'll add you to my Steam friends list for possible future online play.
    Posted 11-11-2013 at 01:54 PM by BeardedSonOfNel BeardedSonOfNel is online now
  3. Old Comment
    Just a quick follow up to the follow up...

I got the 660 installed, and I have to say It is a nice improvement. It's running Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon with most settings on Ultra.

BTW I'm digging the shit out of Blood Dragon that I got for $6.00 off of Steam. The PC Might start out at a slightly higher price point than one of the new consoles, but the savings in games and performance is worth it in the end.
    Posted 11-11-2013 at 02:13 PM by BeardedSonOfNel BeardedSonOfNel is online now
  4. Old Comment
    No prob dude. And totally agree with the point made. I bought my my boy and myself a copy of Torchlight II for less than twelve bucks. The savings are phenomenal. The up-front cost is the only steep part. Great stuff!