Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ready Player One Movie Get December 15,2017 Release Date #ReadyPlayerOne (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227972)

Evil Avatar 08-07-2015 01:01 AM

Ready Player One Movie Get December 15,2017 Release Date #ReadyPlayerOne

The Speilberg produced movie based on Ernie Cline's Ready Player One is going to be taking you to alternate worlds on December 15th, 2017.

Quote:

Based on "Ready Player One," the first novel by "Fanboys" screenwriter Ernie Cline. In the near future, outcast teenager Wade Watts escapes from his bleak surroundings by logging in to the OASIS, a globally networked virtual utopia where users can lead idyllic alternate lives. When the eccentric billionaire who created the OASIS dies, he offers up his vast fortune as the prize in an elaborate treasure hunt. Along with gamers from around the world, Wade joins the adventure, and quickly finds himself pitted against powerful corporate foes and other ruthless competitors who will do anything, in the oasis or the real world, to reach the treasure first.
Thanks, comingsoon.net

Deus Equus 08-07-2015 01:19 AM

/squeeeee
I wonder what they'll do for the duration he has that job? Seems like that part could be kinda slow... needed but slow.

Hopefully this film will be everything that Pixels could have been. Now we wait for news about the casting.

MADxMrMike 08-07-2015 07:56 AM

Between this and Dark Tower Im having a hard time trying to control my expectations! haha

Evil Avatar 08-07-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADxMrMike (Post 2390880)
Between this and Dark Tower Im having a hard time trying to control my expectations! haha

It is a great time for geek movies. The summer blockbusters are all Sci Fi / Horror / Superhero movies and TV has been taken over by Zombies and Fantasy series.

There isn't any real information about this or the Dark Tower to get excited, but I suspect that since geek movies are the in-thing right now that they will both be great.

rubbishfoo 08-07-2015 09:09 AM

They could make something really special for those of us who grew up in the 80s w/ this one.

Hope it portrays itself as well as the book.

/crosses fingers

Evil Avatar 08-09-2015 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubbishfoo (Post 2390889)
They could make something really special for those of us who grew up in the 80s w/ this one.

Hope it portrays itself as well as the book.

/crosses fingers

I think it will do great if they can stick to all the 80's geek stuff, but I wonder how some things will translate to the screen. How much of the public really knows about the Tomb of Horrors and how many people care about War Games? (Not sure I understand the authors love for that movie, I find it unwatchable.)

They might need to swap out some things for stuff that is still 80's, but more popular. Can you imagine if they swapped out War Games for Back to the Future??? :eek:

Deus Equus 08-09-2015 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2391116)
... and how many people care about War Games? (Not sure I understand the authors love for that movie, I find it unwatchable.)

Did you get to see Wargames in theatres when it came out? I did and it has a special place in my nostalgic heart. Sure it hasn't exactly aged well, and may come off as really simplistic to someone out of its time, but it is actually the single most powerful movie for taking me back to the heyday of home-computing.

Home computers were around then but they weren't ubiquitous yet. This movie captures that time of birth... god I love the sound of Broderick's low-baud rotary modem connection... it's like Pavlov's dog for me... makes me all warm and fuzzy for a simple command prompt and a copy of Byte magazine.