Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Report: The Joker Will Be Failed '80s Comedian In DC's Origin Movie (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252175)

Emabulator 03-09-2018 06:43 AM

Report: The Joker Will Be Failed '80s Comedian In DC's Origin Movie

GameSpot has word that the Joker will be based on Bob Saget, or something like that, in an origin movie. "Joaquin Phoenix is reportedly close to signing on as the Clown Prince of Crime."

Quote:

While Jared Leto's portrayal of the Joker in Suicide Squad didn't meet with universal acclaim from fans, it was assumed that the actor would continue playing the iconic villain in future DC movies. So the news that the studio was planning a film that would focus on the Joker's origins with a different actor came as surprise to many--including Leto himself. A few more details about the project have now emerged.

According to The Wrap, the movie will portray the Joker as a comedian in the 1980s, who takes up a life of crime after his stand-up career fails and he bombs with audiences. As the site notes, this makes sense of the involvement of producer Martin Scorsese, who dealt with similar material in his classic 1980s movie The King of Comedy.

The Joker origin movie will be directed by Todd Phillips, who is best known for the Hangover series. While no official casting announcements have been made yet, Joaquin Phoenix is reportedly close to signing on as the Clown Prince of Crime. The film doesn't have a release date, and although it is set to start shooting later this year, The Wrap's sources suggest that scripts rewrites could delay the start of production.

In terms of Leto's Joker, it is expected that he will return for Suicide Squad 2, which starts production this year. Beyond that, there have been rumors of a movie focusing purely on the Joker and Harley Quinn--but like many potential DC projects, this is far from a sure thing.

Chimpbot 03-09-2018 06:52 AM

The comedy of errors that is DC's film franchise never ceases to amuse.

Having two different versions of a character in effectively simultaneous movies is a horrible idea. Having an origin story for a character like the Joker is a horrible idea. Having an origin story set roughly 30 years prior to the rest of the DC movies is a horrible idea.

I'm okay with the casting, though. Phoenix should just outright replace Leto, though.

Wolfgang 03-09-2018 08:08 AM

If the Joker movie is truly an origin movie -- set in the 80s or 90s, then I am fine with a different actor -- which would also allow for a different (younger Batman too). However, the actor should IMHO actually be younger, not the same age as Leto (Leto = 46, Phoenix = 43).

Mondopest 03-09-2018 08:09 AM

Whaaaa????? Who is making these decisions at Warner? Did Yakko, Wakko, and Dot escape from the water tower again?

NightRain 03-09-2018 08:38 AM

My theory......

Pheonix Joker origin is a different Joker in the same universe as the other DC movies and it could work just fine....

Joker is a failed 80s comedian but goes on a crime wave, later in life he faces Batman and Robin. Robin kills him and goes insane and becomes Jared Letto as the Joker.

Booda 03-09-2018 09:03 AM

My theory...

https://media3.giphy.com/media/oOG6w02yGsyek/200w.gif

EL CABONG 03-09-2018 09:54 AM

Bob sagat is one of dirtiest comics working today and far from a failure. Full house was crap but his actual stand up is great.

Terran 03-09-2018 10:19 AM

Bob Sagat is hilarious. This joker origin movie sounds terrible.

That is all.

MadMurdock_0311 03-09-2018 11:58 AM

And the DCU fail-train continues (to no ones surprise).

Sensei-X 03-09-2018 12:37 PM

It could be good, but at this point it doesn't seem likely.

Emabulator 03-09-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL CABONG (Post 2508045)
Bob sagat is one of dirtiest comics working today and far from a failure. Full house was crap but his actual stand up is great.

Sorry to pick on Bob. I wanted to say Adam Sandler, but I figured that might start an upheaval on the order of the 'Liberals gone wild' thread.

JazGalaxy 03-09-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensei-X (Post 2508065)
It could be good, but at this point it doesn't seem likely.

I think D.C. Is giving too much credence to these alternate universe Batman books. Both The Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns were t intended by their writers to Ben the difinitive take on Batman. They were meant to be side stories. FANS like the alternate takes, but I think audiences just want a real Batman story.

Evil Avatar 03-09-2018 05:58 PM

I like everything about this idea except for the writers, directors and actors.

vallor 03-09-2018 06:06 PM

Not a fan of the concept though I think Phoenix is a great actor to consider for the role. I thought Leto did OK but I have a feeling Harley Quinn/Margot Robbie was the real strength of that chemistry and pair not Leto.

In the beginning I totally dismissed Phoenix but he's impressed me over and over and I think he'll do a great Joker.

wunshot 03-09-2018 09:58 PM

I'd like to see Leo as the Joker. Joaquin Phoenix is good and all, but I think Leo could probably outdo him in the part.

Eats 03-12-2018 03:23 AM

Bleh, one of the interesting parts of Dark Knight was how the Joker told like 3-4 different origin stories about how he got the scars.

Even the killing joke is a pretty crappy origin story.