Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Toy Story 4 Playfully Tops the Weekend Boxoffice (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261253)

Evil Avatar 06-24-2019 02:11 PM

Toy Story 4 Playfully Tops the Weekend Boxoffice

The Post-Avengers summer slump continues with both Toy Story 4 and Child's Play performing under industry expectations.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of June 21st to June 23rd, 2019.
  1. Toy Story 4 $120.9/$120.9
  2. Child's Play $14.0/$14.0
  3. Aladdin $13.2/$288.5
  4. Men in Black International $10.7/$52.6
  5. The Secret Life of Pets 2 $10.2/$117.5
  6. Rocketman $5.6/$77.2
  7. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum $4.0/$156.0
  8. Godzilla: King of the Monsters $3.8/$102.5
  9. Anna $3.6/$3.6
  10. Dark Phoenix $3.5/$60.0
  11. Shaft $3.5/$15.9
  12. Late Night $2.5/$10.6
Toy Story 4 was expected to make more than $140 Million and Child's Play more than $18 Million, both under-performing significantly. I wonder how this slump will hit Spider-Man: Far From Home this weekend?

MavenACTG 06-24-2019 02:47 PM

This reminds me of Dead Space 3, where it did something like 3 mil units, but it needed 5, so it was marked a failure.

An aging but respectable franchise took in 120 million and is called disappointing because it wasn't meeting some projection (made how long ago?). It was also 10x its next highest grossing film.

It's a moment like this I wouldn't mind a Vox-style breakdown of where industry projections come from. Anyone got one handy?

Spider-Man will be *just* fine, I think. Do you think a Solo-esque performance is even remotely possible or that Marvel would radically change its Phase 4 / Disney streaming service plans?

LostToys 06-24-2019 02:52 PM

I personally will likely skip Toy Story 4 as I thought 3 was the logical conclusion to the films, and the more advertisements I saw for Toy Story 3, particularly anything with the carnival prize stuffed animals, has completely turned me off of the movie.

I will definitely rent it on disc, but unlike the other three films, I have no desire to actually go to the theater to watch it.

Terran 06-24-2019 04:19 PM

Hollyweird has spent too much time pissing off a huge portion of its potential audience and too little time actually creating interesting new material for folks to bother going to the theater. If they're going to insult half of America, they could at least provide a decent product that makes it somewhat difficult to avoid engaging with it, lol, but they can't even do that.

Too many other more entertaining options. The theater is filled with retread content, entitled idiot actors, morons ruining the theater experience, and a lack of decent food/drink options, all of which can be solved, when you want a film, by staying home with friends and family, beer/wine/whatever to enjoy, on your own huge screen and sound system.

They simply need to try harder. Most of their shit is mailed in garbage. On that list, John Wick was good, and Aladdin surprised me. The rest? Yawn...

ElektroDragon 06-24-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2540026)
I personally will likely skip Toy Story 4 as I thought 3 was the logical conclusion to the films, and the more advertisements I saw for Toy Story 3, particularly anything with the carnival prize stuffed animals, has completely turned me off of the movie.

I will definitely rent it on disc, but unlike the other three films, I have no desire to actually go to the theater to watch it.

Your loss. 4 kicked 3's ass... Amazing movie.

ElektroDragon 06-24-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2540030)
They simply need to try harder. Most of their shit is mailed in garbage. On that list, John Wick was good, and Aladdin surprised me. The rest? Yawn...

AMC Stubs A-List makes this a non-brainer. $20 a month for all the movies I want and they give you $5 rewards every so often on top of it that I can use to help pay for my kids ticket. And free popcorn once in a while, plus I smuggle in my own canned drink. Select my reclining deluxe front and center seat in advance, and it's soooo nice. And this year has been pretty amazing. Some of my favorite movies this year:

Alita Battle Angel
John Wick 3
Godzilla
Brightburn
Pikachu
Pet Semetary (though a rehash it had a twist)
Lego Movie 2
Captain Marvel (yes despite my anti-feminist stance, the NIN shirt endeared me)
Glass
Toy Story 4

Probably I'd add Avengers there, but my bladder can't stand 3 hours so that's a 77" home TV movie.

Terran 06-24-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2540032)
AMC Stubs A-List makes this a non-brainer.

I did MoviePass, before it degraded into a steaming pile of failure, and it was pretty awesome to be able to see whatever movie you wanted without wondering if you were wasting your money.

After all, I was wasting their money! Easy decision! ;)

EL CABONG 06-24-2019 07:18 PM

I skipped toy story 4. I really like 1 and 2 but I didn't really care for 3.

Spiderman should be fine. I know many movies are underpreforming . Some because of quality. Endgame being 3 hours long and a end to an arc I think plays a part as well.

Inkabodcrane 06-24-2019 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2540033)
I did MoviePass, before it degraded into a steaming pile of failure, and it was pretty awesome to be able to see whatever movie you wanted without wondering if you were wasting your money.

After all, I was wasting their money! Easy decision! ;)

I also started with Moviepass and eventually switched to AMC A-list. I pay $40 a month for my wife and I, and we usually watch at least one movie per weekend, sometimes more. I remember when we watched Shazam!, we immediately went to Pet Semetary, watched 2 back to back. It's great to pick our seats several days in advance on the app and being able to pick the fancy theaters also.

Anyways, we watched Child's Play on Sunday. I hadn't even watched a trailer for it, but I knew we'd see it because my wife always liked Chucky. Well, I was pretty surprised. It was really good; the storyline was solid, the sfx on Chucky were good, the way they changed it from a possessed toy to an evil AI sort of thing was smart, and Mark Hamill is AWESOME as the voice of Chucky.

I had no expectations, if anything I thought it would be merely "alright" but I ended up really liking it.

Terran 06-25-2019 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2540045)
I had no expectations, if anything I thought it would be merely "alright" but I ended up really liking it.

That's how I felt about Aladdin. That's a great feeling.

Theatrical subscriptions is the way to go. You can watch a film 'on the bubble' of your interest and the only annoyance if it disappoints is the time spent, while you'll also hit upon a gem now and then.

I need a Regal alternative to AMC's program.

MADxMrMike 06-25-2019 06:41 AM

Spider-Man will be fine.

No one asked for Toy Story 4 or a new Child's Play. Not saying they are not good movies, but I do not see any interest in viewing them(from fam, friends, coworkers, etc..). My boys are super excited about Spider-Man. They could careless about Toy Story and Child's Play.

BenSkywlkr 06-25-2019 07:46 AM

Did anyone see child's play?

I'm going to get dragged to see Toy Story 4, child's play is on the bubble for me.

Booda 06-25-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2540032)
Alita Battle Angel
John Wick 3
Godzilla
Brightburn
Pikachu
Pet Semetary (though a rehash it had a twist)
Lego Movie 2
Captain Marvel (yes despite my anti-feminist stance, the NIN shirt endeared me)
Glass
Toy Story 4

This list right here is a great example of why I haven't been to the theater in over a year.

The overall quality of films that Hollywood is currently crapping out wouldn't even be worth wiping your ass with. Absolute garbage through & through.

MavenACTG 06-25-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda (Post 2540060)
Absolute garbage through & through.

I think given the opportunity you'd qualify that for individual films on the list, like John Wick 3. Hard to tell anything from such a broad statement.

I see some so busy putting down film, I'm wondering what they'd think WASN'T garbage. Blame capitalism and the high business risk involved with any creative endeavor if you're that upset about the general state of film. Oh, blame the audience these films were made for and you don't consider yourself a member of, too!

And be sure to blame yourself for not showing the rest of the film business how to do things in a way that isn't absolute garbage. I am sure all that's needed to fix Hollywood is some sage wisdom delivered from an authoritarian's armchair in the rural Midwest.

*sigh*

Chief Smash 06-25-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADxMrMike (Post 2540053)
Spider-Man will be fine.

I don't know how to feel about the new Spiderman. Nobody in my family is talking about it at all. I feel like we might be done after Endgame. I like Tom Holland as Spiderman and I always enjoyed the hero so I probably should give it a shot. But at the same time, I find the new MJ to be completely irritating for some reason, enough that it flat out makes me less likely to see the movie. I'm just tired of these spunky edgy women characters. I watched the latest Jurassic Park with the family last night and the spunky tough chick in that one ruined it for me too and she wasn't even in it all that much. These characters just don't work. They don't work no matter the sex. Standoffish know-it-alls aren't endearing. They're annoying.

Booda 06-25-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2540073)
I think given the opportunity you'd qualify that for individual films on the list, like John Wick 3. Hard to tell anything from such a broad statement.

I see some so busy putting down film, I'm wondering what they'd think WASN'T garbage. Blame capitalism and the high business risk involved with any creative endeavor if you're that upset about the general state of film. Oh, blame the audience these films were made for and you don't consider yourself a member of, too!

And be sure to blame yourself for not showing the rest of the film business how to do things in a way that isn't absolute garbage. I am sure all that's needed to fix Hollywood is some sage wisdom delivered from an authoritarian's armchair in the rural Midwest.

*sigh*

Par for the course. Express an opinion that doesn't coincide with yours & you go all being "that" yet again... :rolleyes:

https://media.tenor.com/images/7008f...10ca/tenor.gif

Booda 06-25-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2540074)
These characters just don't work. They don't work no matter the sex. Standoffish know-it-alls aren't endearing. They're annoying.

You mean millennials? Yeah, I would agree. :p

Terran 06-25-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2540073)
I am sure

You sure seem to think you are. :D

https://i.imgur.com/F8yeV.jpg

LostToys 06-25-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2540031)
Your loss. 4 kicked 3's ass... Amazing movie.

I will find out later this year when the UHD Blu-ray hits shelves. Until then, glad you enjoyed it.

SpectralThundr 06-25-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda (Post 2540075)
Par for the course. Express an opinion that doesn't coincide with yours & you go all being "that" yet again... :rolleyes:

https://media.tenor.com/images/7008f...10ca/tenor.gif

Careful he might beg the mod team again to squelch those who don't agree with his viewpoint. Guy must think he stumbled onto Blues News or RPS.