Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Amazon Game Studios Announces F2P The Lord of the Rings MMO for Console and PC (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261529)

Evil Avatar 07-10-2019 05:41 PM

Amazon Game Studios Announces F2P The Lord of the Rings MMO for Console and PC
 

Quote:

Amazon Game Studios and Leyou to Co-Develop Game Based on The Lord of the Rings World

Amazon Game Studios, a division of Amazon.com, today announced it will collaborate with Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited and Middle-earth Enterprises to develop and publish a free-to-play massively multiplayer online (MMO) game based on the milestone fantasy literary work The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien. No release date has been set for the game.

Set in the world of Middle-earth portrayed in The Lord of the Rings literary trilogy, the game will give fans around the globe a new, immersive game experience for epic exploration of the vast world of Tolkien. In addition to the game development collaboration, Amazon Studios is separately developing a new Amazon Original TV series based on The Lord of the Rings for Prime Video unrelated to the game.

Amazon Game Studios and Leyou will jointly develop the game for PC and consoles, and Amazon Game Studios will market and publish the title globally with the exception of China, which will be managed by Leyou. The collaboration brings together Amazon’s game technology and talented MMO developers, and Leyou’s expertise in designing free-to-play games and operating live-service games.

“We’re committed to bringing customers games of the highest quality, both with our own original IP as well as beloved cultural pillars like The Lord of the Rings,” said Christoph Hartmann, VP, Amazon Game Studios. “Tolkien’s Middle-earth is one of the richest fictional worlds in history, and it gives our team of experienced MMO developers – from the same studio developing New World – tremendous opportunity to play and create. We have a strong leadership team in place to helm this new project, and we’re actively growing our team to help build this incredible experience.”

“Bringing Middle-earth to life necessitates having the very best partners, and Amazon’s customer obsession, technology, and talented teams make it the ideal choice for a co-developer and publisher,” said Alex Xu, CEO of Leyou Technologies Holdings. “We believe our combined resources and expertise will result in a beautiful and compelling game that customers will love and play for years to come.”

“Who among us hasn’t wanted to take part in an epic adventure,” said Fredrica Drotos, Chief Brand and Licensing Officer at Middle-earth Enterprises. “More than 60 years after the publication of The Fellowship of the Ring, we’re delighted that Amazon Game Studios has partnered with Leyou to bring their respective expertise to build a much anticipated game that will immerse us in the beloved, epic world of Middle-earth, envisioned by Professor Tolkien.”

The Amazon Game Studios leadership team includes veteran developers who helped create of some of the world’s most popular MMO games. Amazon Game Studios is also home to New World, an in-development sandbox MMO game set in an alternate 17th century world.

brandonjclark 07-10-2019 07:49 PM

So they're most likely using a version of the purchased CryEngine, which (modified) they now call Amazon Lumberyard.

That's a very pretty engine, but I know there are coding difficulties with it. Just ask Chris Roberts.

However, I would imagine this is a pretty big priority for AGS to get it right.

I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Azzy 07-10-2019 08:11 PM

Man, those Chinese game developers who specialize in F2P games really aren't what draws me in.

And, while I get the point, it's kind of silly to say a game and a show based off of LoTR aren't "related".

MusicToEat 07-10-2019 08:21 PM

I'm pretty sure there's already one of these. Still going strong too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lo...e_Rings_Online

wunshot 07-11-2019 05:52 AM

While this is F2P, it's really more of an advertisement for their TV show which is a billion dollar endeavor.

Kreigmstr 07-11-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicToEat (Post 2540817)
I'm pretty sure there's already one of these. Still going strong too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lo...e_Rings_Online

yeah, my wife is still playing that. It hasn't aged well IMO. But they still have a decent sized player base.

ElektroDragon 07-11-2019 11:19 AM

I never want to see or hear about any F2P MMO ever in my life. They are ALL hot garbage, I don't care how cool the setting or license.

Oddmaker 07-11-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2540814)
So they're most likely using a version of the purchased CryEngine, which (modified) they now call Amazon Lumberyard.

That's a very pretty engine, but I know there are coding difficulties with it. Just ask Chris Roberts.

However, I would imagine this is a pretty big priority for AGS to get it right.

I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Totally agree, very hard to code with and manage.

vallor 07-11-2019 02:21 PM

Is this the same Amazon Game Studio that hasn't shipped a game outside of a half-baked racing game (The Grand Tour) on Lumberyard? AFAIK that is the only game that has ever shipped on the Engine and the only game Amazon has shipped ever. Well there was a mobile game years ago on the defunct Fire phone.

And a few cancelled games... and the people they laid off a month ago during E3. And this New World Game which we've been hearing about for years but seen little of and what we have seen isn't particularly great.

I am not feeling much confidence in this collaboration. I have a feeling Bezos Billions are more at work here than any proof of skills in "respective expertise".

Too bad, we know this license can shine when treated properly.

Oddmaker 07-11-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2540854)
Is this the same Amazon Game Studio that hasn't shipped a game outside of a half-baked racing game (The Grand Tour) on Lumberyard? AFAIK that is the only game that has ever shipped on the Engine and the only game Amazon has shipped ever. Well there was a mobile game years ago on the defunct Fire phone.

And a few cancelled games... and the people they laid off a month ago during E3. And this New World Game which we've been hearing about for years but seen little of and what we have seen isn't particularly great.

I am not feeling much confidence in this collaboration. I have a feeling Bezos Billions are more at work here than any proof of skills in "respective expertise".

Too bad, we know this license can shine when treated properly.

Yup, yup and yup. Amazon need to spend their money on something to avoid paying tax :rolleyes: :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:18 AM.