Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   EA's Chief Designer Promises to Avoid Repeat of Battlefront 2's Loot Box Controversy (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252927)

Emabulator 04-15-2018 11:50 AM

EA's Chief Designer Promises to Avoid Repeat of Battlefront 2's Loot Box Controversy

PC Gamer has the story.

Quote:

EA's new chief design officer has vowed to "learn from" the mistakes the company made with loot boxes in Star Wars Battlefront 2, and has promised that it will "do better" in future games. Patrick Söderlund, who was head of worldwide studios at EA until an executive reshuffle this week, told The Verge that the controversy around the decision to box-ify everything in the game has "had an effect on EA as a company and an effect on us as management", and that it is determined to avoid similar mistakes in upcoming open-world shooter Anthem and the Battlefield series.

EA removed premium currency from Battlefront 2 ahead of release because of player anger over the progression system, which forced you to grind or pay extra for unlockable extras after you'd already shelled out $60 for the base game. Premium currency is due to return next week, but the new progression system is much better.

“We have taken significant steps as a company to review and understand the mechanics around monetization, loot boxes, and other things in our games before they go to market,” Söderlund said. “For games that come next, for Battlefield or for Anthem, [players have] made it very clear that we can’t afford to make similar mistakes. And we won’t.”
Read on.

Exodus 04-15-2018 03:07 PM

lolololol they're the first ones to introduce microtransactions for cheat codes and then the loot boxes in dead space and so on. If anything these guys are the first of the triple A developers to have introduced such a thing outside of the mobile market.

Fuck these guys.

walstib 04-15-2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodus (Post 2510546)
lolololol they're the first ones to introduce microtransactions for cheat codes and then the loot boxes in dead space and so on. If anything these guys are the first of the triple A developers to have introduced such a thing outside of the mobile market.

Fuck these guys.

i just finished one of the finest games on the PS4 and in recent memory, Horizon Zero Dawn... and before that, the Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Uncharted 4. guess how many micro transactions any of those games required? in fact none of the best games i have played this gen have relied on these microtransactions. it’s all subjective of course

EA, and any publisher that institutes this stupid business model has lost their way. here’s hoping F2P and microtransactions for loot boxes dies and takes these companies with it

brandonjclark 04-15-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walstib (Post 2510548)
i just finished one of the finest games on the PS4 and in recent memory, Horizon Zero Dawn... and before that, the Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Uncharted 4. guess how many micro transactions any of those games required? in fact none of the best games i have played this gen have relied on these microtransactions. it’s all subjective of course

EA, and any publisher that institutes this stupid business model has lost their way. here’s hoping F2P and microtransactions for loot boxes dies and takes these companies with it

I see your point, but that's a limited view.

Rocket League has $DLC but it doesn't significantly alter the game. There's room for both.

EA knows what is acceptable, they just continually screw with the public to continue the PUSH. Just like government, inch by inch they get worse.

NESter the Unlikely 04-15-2018 05:35 PM

To think that EA was created to be the antithesis of homogenized profit-driven crapware factories.

You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain.

JazGalaxy 04-15-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walstib (Post 2510548)

Yeah, but you have to remember... there are people who ASK for Micro-transactions.

You rattled off a list of 60 dollar games. I'm right there with you in that those are "proper" games to me. But there is a generation of kids who grew up, and are growing up, thinking games should be ZERO dollars. They want to download a game for free and then buy little doodads that they like to enhance their experience. They might not have 60 dollars, but they have a device and they have 3 dollars. By making a game that picks up 3 dollars from a larger install base that could afford a 60 dollar game, a developer can make more money in the long run.

For EA, it's about diversifying their portfolio between games that make games with different strategies. Not every game is for every type of player. The biggest failure EA accomplished was by tying the massive Star Wars license into their scheme. They should honestly create an entirely different sub-brand and use it for exclusively microtransactions. That was people know what they are getting and what games not to pay attention to.

vallor 04-15-2018 11:31 PM

Don't ever play any games on Mobile. Especially EA games. I am sure they got the idea for BattleFront II's loot box system from the Pay 2 Win system in Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes.

It is incredibly abusive, expensive, and all but unplayable without the MTX system (which is not exactly MTX since it goes up to $99).

Fuck EA. I miss the days on Mobile and every other platform where I just put in my 50 bucks and it was done.

KlausFlouride 04-16-2018 12:01 AM

They are just pissed because they got called out on their bullshit. Now they have to find another way to fuck over gamers and hope they don't get caught again. No different than Facebook getting caught fuckin' over users.

JazGalaxy 04-16-2018 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2510560)

Fuck EA. I miss the days on Mobile and every other platform where I just put in my 50 bucks and it was done.

Yep. Getting roped into a system where you have no idea how much you have to spend, and no idea what you have to buy is fundamentally bad business. It’s a bad deal. But the people who like it are children, so they have no idea.

Booda 04-16-2018 05:21 AM

GinRummy 04-16-2018 11:44 AM

Any game where there is online competition "pay to win" loot should be a bad idea. Yes, cosmetic stuff is fine, DLC is fine, unlocks from game play is fine. But not buying big pvp advantages. That should be easily understood by publishers by now.

Terran 04-16-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2510560)
Don't ever play any games on Mobile.

Bah...you're old. ;) There are a few decent titles on mobile, and when I find them, I'll list them.

lol...the truth is out there!

JazGalaxy 04-16-2018 11:30 PM

Hitman GO and Hitman Sniper are both 10/10 mobile games. The Room 1 is also extremely good. I'd say 9/10. I think all the other good mobile games are just ports of great games on other consoles. Dragon Quest 1,2 and 4 on mobile is extremely good. (only ones I've played.)

And also Risk on Mobile is 11/10.

Major Dan 04-17-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2510622)
Hitman GO and Hitman Sniper are both 10/10 mobile games. The Room 1 is also extremely good. I'd say 9/10. I think all the other good mobile games are just ports of great games on other consoles. Dragon Quest 1,2 and 4 on mobile is extremely good. (only ones I've played.)

And also Risk on Mobile is 11/10.

I have to chime in for Plants vs Zombies, the first one, not the second as it was MTX garbagitized. I beat the first one about 10 times and still play it once in awhile, it was a near perfect game for a touch screen, even a small one as I have played it on the iPhone 5 and SE.

RocketMagnet 04-17-2018 11:47 AM

Personally I don't think any loot box mechanic is fine as it's still gambling (Even Soderlund admitted this by saying BF2 was an unintentional "slot machine").
Ultimately it's about making money for nothing and the best way to do that was loot boxes due to the added benefit of a gambling buzz to fuel it. Apparently the people working for EA want some respect as they have had their feelings hurt.. seriously peddling gambling mechanics at kids and those people with gambling addiction issues... cry me a fkin river.

Can someone explain to me why Cosmetics are ok to gamble for but progression not.. same thing IMO.

IMO EA have learned nothing, proven as FIFA still has loot boxes....

JazGalaxy 04-17-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketMagnet (Post 2510652)
Personally I don't think any loot box mechanic is fine as it's still gambling (Even Soderlund admitted this by saying BF2 was an unintentional "slot machine").
Ultimately it's about making money for nothing and the best way to do that was loot boxes due to the added benefit of a gambling buzz to fuel it. Apparently the people working for EA want some respect as they have had their feelings hurt.. seriously peddling gambling mechanics at kids and those people with gambling addiction issues... cry me a fkin river.

Can someone explain to me why Cosmetics are ok to gamble for but progression not.. same thing IMO.

IMO EA have learned nothing, proven as FIFA still has loot boxes....

I'm certainly not going to argue that it's okay, because I disagree with it wholeheartedly. But it's not new. It's the same concept as kids collecting baseball cards or, more appropriately, magic the gathering cards. You spend money in hopes of getting a thing you want. But often it's junk.

This all goes back to the rise of MMO games, when developers had to figure out how to make a "game" out of not having and collision or positional information to work with. So they settled for preying on people's emotions.

Cranium 04-19-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketMagnet (Post 2510652)
Can someone explain to me why Cosmetics are ok to gamble for but progression not

From an echonomic/political standpoint they might be the same, but from a videogamer's standpoint, the difference is function (gameplay) over form (graphics).