Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DOOM 64 Official Announcement Trailer (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263487)

Evil Avatar 10-23-2019 08:12 AM

DOOM 64 Official Announcement Trailer

Quote:

DOOM 64 Joins Roster of DOOM Eternal Pre-Order Bonuses - Releasing 20th March

Hell was a place no mortal was meant to experience. But to hell with that! DOOM 64 is launching 20th March, 2020 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC alongside DOOM Eternal as a pre-order bonus. Nintendo Switch players can purchase DOOM 64 on 20th March, or pre-order to receive the game for free when DOOM Eternal launches on the platform at a later date. The release marks the first time in 23 years that players can experience the cult classic on modern consoles.

The FREE DOOM 64 digital download is available with any past, present, or future pre-order of DOOM Eternal between now and its 20th March launch.

DOOM 64 – originally released on 31st March, 1997 for Nintendo 64 – is included in the pre-order of the base game as well as the Deluxe Edition as a part of the Rip and Tear Pack. The Rip and Tear Pack also includes the DOOT Revenant player skin, the Throwback Shotgun Weapon skin, and the Cultist Base Master Level, a remixed version of the campaign level “Cultist Base,” with new challenges and surprises.

With more than 30 action-packed levels, DOOM 64 is back and better than ever, giving newcomers and lifelong fans alike a new opportunity to rip and tear. And, with the additional bonuses included in the Rip and Tear Pack, you’ll be DOOTin’ your way through DOOM Eternal in hellish style on 20th March.

Evil Avatar 10-23-2019 08:12 AM

Mad Max RW 10-23-2019 10:18 AM

Don’t give Bethesda your money for this. Doom 64 on PC is free in a couple formats such as Doom 64 EX, a map pack conversion, and my favorite Brutal Doom 64.

NESter the Unlikely 10-23-2019 02:09 PM

Why anyone would play this over the excellent, and free, Doom64EX is beyond me. Oh this will probably have worthless achievements/trophies and Doom64EX doesn't? Well that settles it then, Doom64EX is trash.

Evil Avatar 10-23-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NESter the Unlikely (Post 2546755)
Why anyone would play this over the excellent, and free, Doom64EX is beyond me. Oh this will probably have worthless achievements/trophies and Doom64EX doesn't? Well that settles it then, Doom64EX is trash.

Now you understand how this works! Trophies! Achievements!

CthulhuFan 10-23-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NESter the Unlikely (Post 2546755)

Is there any compelling reason to play D64 having finished D/DII/Master Levels/Final etc...? I always hear about how great it is but I have a hard time figuring how it's better than the PS1 version I cut my teeth on -- dude, I took days of leave to finish that shit; it was amazing and it's half because of the amazing soundtrack PS1 had vs. the DOS chip-tune metal ... Ambiance. Fuckin' great ...

NESter the Unlikely 10-24-2019 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CthulhuFan (Post 2546784)
Is there any compelling reason to play D64 having finished D/DII/Master Levels/Final etc...?

The overall tone and mood of D64 is closer to that excellent PSOne port you mentioned, and in fact Aubrey Hodges composed the soundtrack for both games. In my mind Doom64 exceeds Doom2 and is absolutely worth checking out.

Mad Max RW 10-24-2019 03:34 AM

It’s the canonical sequel to Doom 2. All of the weapons, monsters, pickups, are redone with a couple new additions. It’s a whole new campaign. The overall tone is much darker with great use of colored lighting. They made it a lot more spooky by replacing the music with slower atmospheric sound effects. Level design reminds me of a proto-Quake. Play it.

CthulhuFan 10-24-2019 05:29 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info. Doom64EX will be acquired and played when I'm down from ESO. I played through some DOOM recently with the PS1 sound track thanks to GZDOOM, it was so nice. And now I know the composer, thanks again. DOOM is great but in tandem with Aubrey Hodges' work; it really just took it to another level. I wonder if that's an experience that ID had that influenced their DOOM3 work.

Rommel 10-25-2019 02:58 AM

Not going to lie, I was expecting more of an update. It looks better than the original, due to it NOT looking like an N64 blurry mess but it's nothing special.