Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weekend Gamer: What are you playing? (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260824)

Jetherik 05-31-2019 03:38 PM

Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?

There is no more weekends for this May. What are you playing for the first weekend of June?

BeardedSonOfNel 05-31-2019 03:44 PM

Right now I'm playing Wizard. It's a Jumpman clone on the C-64. Other than that I really don't know.

BalekFekete 05-31-2019 04:39 PM

Finished Spiderman tonight, so will start up Assassin's Creed: Odyssey later this evening or tomorrow.

lancereagle 05-31-2019 04:47 PM

Running through Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine for the pc. Itís obviously clunky and a game of the time (1999) but I'm really enjoying it.

BeardedSonOfNel 05-31-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancereagle (Post 2538518)
Running through Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine for the pc. Itís obviously clunky and a game of the time (1999) but I'm really enjoying it.

I ran through that last year. I had a lot of fun with it!

Chimpbot 05-31-2019 06:00 PM

I finally got around to trying the Octopath Traveler demo; shortly after, I just bought the full game. It's a pretty great game so far, and will likely eat up most of my gaming time like RDR2 did for five months straight.

Mad Max RW 05-31-2019 06:04 PM

Almost done with John Romero's Sigil episode for Doom 1 and it's great. I love the classic style maps with morphing environments. It feels almost like Hexen at times. Too many of the "best" Doom wads in the past decade rely on throwing a million monsters at you with tons of ammo everywhere. There's even a term for it, slaughtermaps. And they are shit. This is fun and hard. The first run you will get your ass handed to you. I hope Romero keeps pumping these out. Maybe get some other old timers involved like Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen.

CthulhuFan 05-31-2019 08:16 PM

More retro as always these days.

https://rlyeh.digistorm.net/images/h...reen_Small.png

Terran 05-31-2019 08:17 PM

Heading off on an eight week vacation (with a week in between back at home) early tomorrow morning, driving 2,000 miles to Arizona to do a National Park loop, so not much gaming time for me! Got some great Airbnb deals...first time using them, so hopefully that works out well. A little nervous about it, but it's not much different than a hotel honestly, just cheaper and more like a home than a single bedroom.

Have a great summer, all!

CthulhuFan 05-31-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2538534)
Almost done with John Romero's Sigil episode for Doom 1 and it's great. I love the classic style maps with morphing environments. It feels almost like Hexen at times. Too many of the "best" Doom wads in the past decade rely on throwing a million monsters at you with tons of ammo everywhere. There's even a term for it, slaughtermaps. And they are shit. This is fun and hard. The first run you will get your ass handed to you. I hope Romero keeps pumping these out. Maybe get some other old timers involved like Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen.

Awesome, been looking forward to this. I heard/watched it's better to go in on "hurt me plenty" and get a feel for it before trying it on Ultra Violence. I'm picking this up and can't wait but it's in queue behind Hedon and Amid Evil.

BeardedSonOfNel 05-31-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2538545)
Heading off on an eight week vacation (with a week in between back at home) early tomorrow morning, driving 2,000 miles to Arizona to do a National Park loop, so not much gaming time for me! Got some great Airbnb deals...first time using them, so hopefully that works out well. A little nervous about it, but it's not much different than a hotel honestly, just cheaper and more like a home than a single bedroom.

Have a great summer, all!

Have a good one, and I hope the trip is fun and safe!

Mad Max RW 06-01-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CthulhuFan (Post 2538546)
Awesome, been looking forward to this. I heard/watched it's better to go in on "hurt me plenty" and get a feel for it before trying it on Ultra Violence. I'm picking this up and can't wait but it's in queue behind Hedon and Amid Evil.

I just beat Sigil and had a good time throughout. Some reviewers are out of their minds. Play the original 3 episodes of Doom then a little bit of Heretic before jumping in. The only criticism I 100% agree with is Romero's overuse of Barons of Hell and Cacodemons in narrow corridors. The complaints about it being too dark were not a factor. I'm playing with the latest Gzdoom, original textures, and left the gamma/brightness settings how I normally play. No problem. Level design is mostly great. Smart use of triggers with a cool recurring theme. E5M7 (the second to last map) is my favorite and probably the hardest. I like the layout of the final map but the climactic battle was cliched. Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind. Ok, I've seen it countless times already. The new optional midi music is awesome and better than the included Buckethead tracks.

Don't go into Sigil expecting something that rivals the top fanmade megawads of the past 25 years. I can list 10 off the top of my head that bury it. Romero made something that is definitely an advancement of his skillset from back then, but he has a long way to go before he can reach the heights of what modern mappers are putting out.

Evil Avatar 06-01-2019 08:19 AM

In about 4 hours I’ve got to teach a class on Query Letter Writing. How do I let myself get talked into these things?

I’m going to be spending some time working on my horror novel this year. It’s about time I finished up a whole novel and not just started and abandoned projects like I’ve done dozens of times in the past.

As much as I hate taking training at work, I think being forced to do a bunch of projects at work this year kinda prepped me for doing something longer. I put together a big presentation at work and wrote a huge paper and one of my projects got pushed forward IT and will totally change the way we do something at work.

I would compare that with my old job where I was kinda just stuck in a cave writing reports all night.

After my class, we are going to see Godzilla. Then I’ll probably spend what is left of my evening playing Days Gone or Rage 2. I’m still determined to find some fun in Rage 2 since I paid full price for it.

EL CABONG 06-01-2019 01:40 PM

Gonna give Void Bastereds a whirl