Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One Quarter One Play (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260835)

BeardedSonOfNel 06-02-2019 09:38 AM

One Quarter One Play

I love arcade games, and I often fire up my MAME box on Sunday afternoons for a game or two. I thought I start a new weekly thread where I highlight a different arcade game each week. I've named the thread One Quarter One Play because I will include a video as well where I play with no practice rounds, or continues. Some videos will be very short because I suck at some of my favorite games :p

Click the headline to read more, and watch the video.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-02-2019 09:38 AM

This weeks game is Muchi Muchi Pork! It's a weird ass SHMUP developed by CAVE and published by AMI in 2007.

The story is about three girls from Batazuka City who have been transformed into pig-girls by the main villain , General Porkfillet. They ride flying motor bikes called "ketta machines", which are powered by pedaling (if they are motor bikes why are they pedaling???). And that's about it for the story.

The game didn't do well in Japan, but I like it. A version was released for the Xbox 360.

Have any of you played this game? If so, what are your thoughts?

Metal Jesus 06-02-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2538621)
Have any of you played this game? If so, what are your thoughts?

Funny you should mention this...I just picked up the X360 version (with Pink Things) a few weeks ago. Been playing it A LOT lately!

karaliusbronius 06-02-2019 10:18 AM

Great idea, I love this thread idea! I've given up updating my Mame romset ever version, its a lot of work, especially when they make some big changes here and there. I've never even heard of this game, I'll check it out!

BeardedSonOfNel 06-02-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2538623)
Funny you should mention this...I just picked up the X360 version (with Pink Things) a few weeks ago. Been playing it A LOT lately!

Awesome! Is that something you picked up in Japan, or state side?

BeardedSonOfNel 06-02-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karaliusbronius (Post 2538624)
Great idea, I love this thread idea! I've given up updating my Mame romset ever version, its a lot of work, especially when they make some big changes here and there. I've never even heard of this game, I'll check it out!

I hear ya. I hate having a set work, and then the newest version of MAME kills it.

Mad Max RW 06-02-2019 05:03 PM

I game I recently played through on MAME and didn't expect to like so much was Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. It's batshit insane and really fun.

There's a completely different Genesis version and I hated it.

brandonjclark 06-02-2019 05:53 PM

So, let's say i wanted to build a Mame cabinet. Where is the best place to start?

***looking for a referral from someone's personal opinion of a "best build"

BeardedSonOfNel 06-02-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2538634)
So, let's say i wanted to build a Mame cabinet. Where is the best place to start?

I don't have a cabinet, but (and they aren't paying me) the X Arcade sticks are nice.

Azrael 06-02-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2538634)

also, hypothetically if you were to build a mame cabinet... Can you get light guns to work? Cause, again, hypothetically, Time Crisis would be fucking amazing

BeardedSonOfNel 06-02-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2538633)
I game I recently played through on MAME and didn't expect to like so much was Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. It's batshit insane and really fun.

There's a completely different Genesis version and I hated it.

I too like the Moonwalker arcade game. The first time I ever saw it was at a Six Flags park in an arcade under the roller coaster American Eagle.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-02-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrael (Post 2538639)
also, hypothetically if you were to build a mame cabinet... Can you get light guns to work? Cause, again, hypothetically, Time Crisis would be fucking amazing

vallor 06-02-2019 06:59 PM

A friend built me a MAME machine in a Pi box the size of a pack of smokes that plugs into an HDMI output and has blu-tooth for a controller though I suppose you could do a USB controller.

The cabinet probably costs $500 for a true arcade stand up and then you have to mount the controllers. Then you'd want to mount and flush a monitor, probably around $130 or so for a halfway decent 24".

vallor 06-02-2019 07:01 PM

A friend built me a MAME machine in a Pi box the size of a pack of smokes that plugs into an HDMI output and has blu-tooth for a controller though I suppose you could do a USB controller.

The cabinet probably costs $500 for a true arcade stand up and then you have to mount the controllers. Then you'd want to mount and flush a monitor, probably around $130 or so for a halfway decent 24".

Evil Avatar 06-02-2019 07:47 PM

I've always wanted to build a MAME machine. I was leaning toward something small like a Picade because I don't have space for a full sized machine in my office.

Great idea! Great thread!

brandonjclark 06-02-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2538644)
I've always wanted to build a MAME machine. I was leaning toward something small like a Picade because I don't have space for a full sized machine in my office.

Great idea! Great thread!

Yup, as I get older I want to spend my time gaming with my kids more. I still fire up a SP game now and then, but we already have one in college and two more fast approaching graduation. I'm running out of time to game with them!

Misanthropist 06-03-2019 01:46 AM

I absolutely love pinball machines, and some people have absolutely epic 100k private collections, 10+ machines . Currently i have one table ive been cleaning up and will eventually trade/sell for a different pin.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-03-2019 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misanthropist (Post 2538650)
I absolutely love pinball machines, and some people have absolutely epic 100k private collections, 10+ machines . Currently i have one table ive been cleaning up and will eventually trade/sell for a different pin.

I LOVE pinball, but I have yet to get my wife onboard with getting a table(s). I do play a lot of the emulators like Pinball FX and Pinball Arcade (which are far from the real deal), but they still bring me enjoyment in my home.

CthulhuFan 06-03-2019 05:26 AM

Great idea for a thread/series! But, uh, yeah, some of those videos are gonna be VERY short. Just sayin', not that I have experience with that ever :D

PacerDawn 06-03-2019 09:37 AM

This is interesting. I haven't modded my cabinet yet because this build doesn't utilize the power switch on the cabinate itself (you have to turn it on and off via the power strip).