Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nintendo Files Patent For Playable Smartphone Case Resembling A Game Boy (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256417)

Emabulator 10-06-2018 09:36 AM

Nintendo Files Patent For Playable Smartphone Case Resembling A Game Boy

Game Informer has the story.

Quote:

A patent applied for by Nintendo that hinted at a Game Boy Classic appears to more than meets the eye, now that a more full look at the information has become available. Nintendo appears to be seeking to create a case for smartphones that acts as a playable shell for Game Boy games, effectively using your phone as a Game Boy Classic.

The patent, which was applied for in March 2018, became fully available this week. The patent illustrations show a wallet smartphone case with a Game Boy-style front that would be placed over the touchscreen. The buttons on the front cover would be usable, while the screen cutout on the front would presumably play Game Boy games.

brandonjclark 10-06-2018 07:06 PM

Why would you want to limit your screen size?

Terran 10-06-2018 07:08 PM

"...using your phone as a Game Boy Classic."

Your phone can already do that. And the DS. And the NES. And the 2600. And......

LostToys 10-07-2018 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2522242)
Why would you want to limit your screen size?

Because they want to emulate the look and feel of the original Gameboy. Which means limiting the size of the screen. Regardless, you will be limiting it to 4:3, so you might as well create a universal screenspace.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2522243)
Your phone can already do that. And the DS. And the NES. And the 2600. And......

They do, using virtual buttons. The idea of this kind of case would be that Nintendo would make an app, which would then access the Gameboy games. This will allow them to virtually place the buttons to the physical buttons on the case.

Terran 10-07-2018 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2522248)
This will allow them

...to charge for emulated games. Let's be honest about what's going on here.

Chimpbot 10-07-2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2522252)
...to charge for emulated games. Let's be honest about what's going on here.

It's not like this hasn't been going on since 2006, with all three companies. All three of 'em have been charging for emulated games for over a decade.

Terran 10-07-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2522253)
It's not like this hasn't been going on since 2006, with all three companies. All three of 'em have been charging for emulated games for over a decade.

Corporate whataboutism is the most boringest of boringest whataboutisms. :D

Nintendo is especially, egregiously piggish about triple/quadruple/infinite dipping into your pocket for the same title over and over again. Hence why they don't give you the ability to have a uniform digital account with which to carry content across hardware.

SpectralThundr 10-07-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2522261)
Corporate whataboutism is the most boringest of boringest whataboutisms. :D

Nintendo is especially, egregiously piggish about triple/quadruple/infinite dipping into your pocket for the same title over and over again. Hence why they don't give you the ability to have a uniform digital account with which to carry content across hardware.

No they'd rather charge you every console for the same 30 year old shitty platformers. And of course the Nintendo zealots are ok with this, it's only rehashing if Sony or MS or EA does it. Nintendo is only innovative doncha know?

vallor 10-07-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2522262)
No they'd rather charge you every console for the same 30 year old shitty platformers. And of course the Nintendo zealots are ok with this, it's only rehashing if Sony or MS or EA does it. Nintendo is only innovative doncha know?

Not to put too fine a point on it but both MS and Sony have made a mess of remastering old content to inflate their woefully weak to a far greater degree this generation. We've hit Peak Remastering for both of them to the point it's been disgusting. Nintendo has actually be the best of the three, likely because their release cadence has been slow as hell. Plus Nintendo games at least tend to be fun to play again. And they aren't charging fricking $30 for the remake like Square Enix is for the iPad version of Final Fantasy VII. Talk about a ripoff!

And I suspect it only gets worse here on out as games get more expensive to produce and less expensive to remaster and release online instead of at retail.

SpectralThundr 10-07-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2522264)
Not to put too fine a point on it but both MS and Sony have made a mess of remastering old content to inflate their woefully weak to a far greater degree this generation. We've hit Peak Remastering for both of them to the point it's been disgusting. Nintendo has actually be the best of the three, likely because their release cadence has been slow as hell. Plus Nintendo games at least tend to be fun to play again. And they aren't charging fricking $30 for the remake like Square Enix is for the iPad version of Final Fantasy VII. Talk about a ripoff!

And I suspect it only gets worse here on out as games get more expensive to produce and less expensive to remaster and release online instead of at retail.

I agree I can't stand generation remaster either. Just saying Nintendo isn't any more innocent with this kinda crap than anyone else.

Chimpbot 10-07-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2522261)
Corporate whataboutism is the most boringest of boringest whataboutisms.

Botching about tactics utilized by all three companies while singling one out is just lazy. They all sell emulated games and have since around the exact same time, around a decade ago.

Quote:

Prior to the Wii, their double-dips were typically remade versions of their older titles.

While I absolutely hated the way they used to handle their digital purchases (everything being tied to the hardware it was purchased on), all digital purchases for the Switch (and moving forward) are tied to a uniform digital account that can carry content across hardware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2522267)
I agree I can't stand generation remaster either. Just saying Nintendo isn't any more innocent with this kinda crap than anyone else.

That's pretty much my point: They're all guilty of selling emulated games and relying on remasters to pad libraries.

Terran 10-07-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2522270)
Botching about tactics utilized by all three companies while singling one out is just lazy.

It's a thread about just one. Botching about a lack of botching about other companies in a thread not about other companies is boring botching whataboutism.

Mr. Crankypants, you complaineth too much. :D

LostToys 10-07-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2522264)
Not to put too fine a point on it but both MS and Sony have made a mess of remastering old content to inflate their woefully weak to a far greater degree this generation.

I'd consider remasters completely different from whatever you get from emulation or re-releases of older games. A remaster, at least a good one, will make the game look and play better than its original form. These type of releases are designed to emulate the exact experience of the game, adding marginal benefits like leaderboards, multi-player, or skins/filters that you can enable.

I am far more willing to pay for a remaster than to pay for emulation.

SpectralThundr 10-07-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2522270)
That's pretty much my point: They're all guilty of selling emulated games and relying on remasters to pad libraries.

Sure though at the very least MS and Sony "GET" online. Nintendo seems to still be trying to figure out an intelligent way to do online and to me still seems to not get it. Which is kinda sad really with how long they've been in the industry, never a leader always behind the fucking pack.

PatrickRes9 10-08-2018 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2522281)
Sure though at the very least MS and Sony "GET" online. Nintendo seems to still be trying to figure out an intelligent way to do online and to me still seems to not get it. Which is kinda sad really with how long they've been in the industry, never a leader always behind the fucking pack.

Strange sentiment considering Sony and MS's boner for blatantly ripping off all of Nintendo's successes. Bring back that Sony all stars fighting game. Man that thing was all the good. Can't wait to see how Sony makes the PS5 a hybrid mobile console. Then, a hybrid will be a good thing. Because it'll play the usual AAA trash that mainline gamers play.

I like that Nintendo goes their own direction for the most part. Not going to argue, their online infrastructure has always sucked though. Not sure why they haven't course corrected on that yet. Seems willfully obtuse.