Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Baldur's Gate 3 is in the works, apparently (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256418)

Emabulator 10-06-2018 03:45 PM

Baldur's Gate 3 is in the works, apparently
 

PC Gamer has the story.

Quote:

It's interesting how the wheel of time turns. Way back in 1998, Baldur's Gate was credited with single-handled reviving the CRPG genre. Its fortunes have waned somewhat since then, but the past few years have seen a resurgence of interest in the style, with games like Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, and most recently, Pathfinder: Kingmaker. And it might be possible that Baldur's Gate will be a beneficiary of the revival this time around.

The evidence—which, to be fair, is more of an insinuation—comes to us courtesy of a tweet from inXile Entertainment boss Brian Fargo.

The tweet was a response to a reference to a Rock, Paper, Shotgun story from 2012, in which Beamdog, the studio that made the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions and the Siege of Dragonspear expansion, said that making Baldur's Gate 3 was its long-term goal.

"We’re totally thinking Kickstarter. It just makes so much sense and solves so many problems," the studio said at the time. "I think what Brian [Fargo] is doing with Wasteland is very interesting.

But Beamdog told PCGamesN that it's not working on the game, and Larian shot down an entirely unsubstantiated RPG Codex rumor that it had acquired the Baldur's Gate license. As for Fargo, he declined to comment further, saying in an email only that he "really should not say more."

Mad Max RW 10-06-2018 04:49 PM

I remember years ago Black Isle Studios (RIP) was developing Baldur's Gate 3: The Black Hound until Interplay lost the license. It would be fitting to see it back in Brian Fargo's hands since all of that shit went down after he left the studio. inXile delivered exactly what they promised with Wasteland 2. Not so sure about Torment since I haven't had time to complete it...

PatrickRes9 10-06-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2522238)
I remember years ago Black Isle Studios (RIP) was developing Baldur's Gate 3: The Black Hound until Interplay lost the license. It would be fitting to see it back in Brian Fargo's hands since all of that shit went down after he left the studio. inXile delivered exactly what they promised with Wasteland 2. Not so sure about Torment since I haven't had time to complete it...

Torment didn't hold my attention long enough to get very far. Divinity 2 and pillars are the cream of the crop, Imo. Pathfinder kingmaker seems really promising. Just started it.

I love the crpg revival. Much more opportunity with today's technology. Divinity 2 blows every other crpg out of the water, including the much loved baldurs gate games. Keep em coming.

Haven't gotten around to wasteland 2. Worth picking up?

Phoenix1985 10-06-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2522240)
Torment didn't hold my attention long enough to get very far. Divinity 2 and pillars are the cream of the crop, Imo. Pathfinder kingmaker seems really promising. Just started it.

I love the crpg revival. Much more opportunity with today's technology. Divinity 2 blows every other crpg out of the water, including the much loved baldurs gate games. Keep em coming.

Haven't gotten around to wasteland 2. Worth picking up?

As much as I like Kingmaker's potential, it needs about a month or two of patches right now.

Azzy 10-06-2018 07:55 PM

I will buy anything Brian Fargo puts out right now just because he deserves it. That said, I agree that WL2 was exactly what they promised, and it was exactly what it needed to be. If they can pull off a Baldur's Gate 3 I will throw money at them.

Azrael 10-07-2018 12:12 AM

If it was the original team i'd happily drop $1k on a kick start of BG3 right now.

That is one of my favourite series of all time. So many good memories

Mad Max RW 10-07-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2522240)

Haven't gotten around to wasteland 2. Worth picking up?

It's everything Fallout Tactics should have been.

GinRummy 10-07-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 (Post 2522241)
As much as I like Kingmaker's potential, it needs about a month or two of patches right now.

I've been playing P:K since release day and having tons of fun. Only had a couple small problems with bugs, and the patching seems to be keeping ahead of the major problems. I'm nearly 40 hours into my first game play and it feels like I just finished the middle part. Not sure exactly, but it seems like quite a long game. If you've played until you get to the Kingdom-ruling part, you're maybe only 10 to 20% into the game. Any fans of Pillars of Eternity should give it a look.

SpectralThundr 10-07-2018 09:26 PM

Not sure how I feel about this, the Bhall saga was wrapped up nicely, what is there really else to do in Baldur's Gate at this point that hasn't been done in D&D already? Also depends on which team is making this. If it's Beamdog I'm not interested, if it's Obsidian I'm sorta kinda interested but not even that much.

Phoenix1985 10-08-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinRummy (Post 2522265)
I've been playing P:K since release day and having tons of fun. Only had a couple small problems with bugs, and the patching seems to be keeping ahead of the major problems. I'm nearly 40 hours into my first game play and it feels like I just finished the middle part. Not sure exactly, but it seems like quite a long game. If you've played until you get to the Kingdom-ruling part, you're maybe only 10 to 20% into the game. Any fans of Pillars of Eternity should give it a look.

Yeah, the first two acts or so are free enough of bugs that it is playable, but by act 3 you will be drowning in them unfortunately.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 AM.