Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sources: Microsoft is Close to Buying Obsidian (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256471)

Evil Avatar 10-09-2018 05:35 PM

Sources: Microsoft is Close to Buying Obsidian

Quote:

Microsoft is finalizing a deal to acquire the independent development studio Obsidian Entertainment, according to three people briefed on the negotiations. We don’t know if ink is on paper yet, and plenty of major acquisition deals have fallen apart in the final hours, but those close to the companies believe it is all but done.

One person with knowledge of the deal told Kotaku they’d heard it was “90%” finished. Said a second person: “It’s a matter of when, not if.”

“We do not comment on rumors or speculation,” said a Microsoft spokesperson.

“Unfortunately, we don’t comment on rumors or speculation other than to say that the Rumors album by Fleetwood Mac still holds up,” said an Obsidian spokesperson.

EL CABONG 10-09-2018 08:53 PM

I thought MS was buying Capcom

Chimpbot 10-09-2018 09:36 PM

Headline from 2023: "Microsoft is Close to Shuttering Obsidian Entertainment."

Meusli 10-10-2018 02:31 AM

Why? It's not as if big studios buying independents has a good track record, especially if you're MS.

Juan 10-10-2018 03:40 AM

Got any games yet Microsoft?

shadow763 10-10-2018 07:24 AM

Oh....ummm....RIP.

vallor 10-10-2018 11:04 AM

Kinda funny considering Microsoft firing them 7 years ago is what nearly caused them to close and head to crowdfunding land and their current success.

Assuming it is true, of course. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

ElektroDragon 10-11-2018 11:41 PM

This is the new Microsoft. This is great news. They will never be shut down.
Studios were only destroyed and shut down under that idiot EA loser former Xbox head who foisted the original Xbox One on the world. Such a loser I can't even remember his name. And CEO Satya would never let Obsidian be shut down. He is WAAAAAY smarter than Ballmer, by a factor of 10.

Chimpbot 10-12-2018 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2522551)
Studios were only destroyed and shut down under that idiot EA loser former Xbox head who foisted the original Xbox One on the world. Such a loser I can't even remember his name. And CEO Satya would never let Obsidian be shut down. He is WAAAAAY smarter than Ballmer, by a factor of 10.

I know the leadership is different...but how many times have we heard this sort of thing out of Microsoft? Gaming was critically important in 2017. PC Gaming was very important to Windows 10 in 2015. They had a renewed focus on PC gaming in 2014. They've been talking about how important PC gaming is to the company for so long that I just don't believe 'em, regardless of the leadership; year after year, we've gotten the same rhetoric.

At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

Meusli 10-12-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:

What happens when a new leader is chosen? These people don't last forever.

Phoenix1985 10-12-2018 10:02 AM

We'll see how this goes, if it does go. Lots of deals like these get shut down at the last minute and all that.

But at least this gives the studio some breathing room, and the people involved deserve that.

vallor 10-12-2018 12:34 PM

Microsoft is not creating PC games. They are creating games that run on Microsoft platforms. Currently it looks like Xbox and Windows kernels are close enough that means cross-compat.

Good for us. It may not last forever.

Terran 10-12-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

And Hillary will win! :D

Microsoft has gaming rabies when it comes to buying developers. Burn it with fire, nuke it from orbit, but don't get in bed with it, or you will wither and/or DIE.