Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fallout 76 Isn't Coming To Steam (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256480)

BeardedSonOfNel 10-10-2018 05:45 AM

Fallout 76 Isn't Coming To Steam

Via GameSpot
Quote:

One of 2018's biggest games, Fallout 76, won't be available on the world's largest PC platform, Steam. Instead, Bethesda is releasing the game on PC exclusively through its own Bethesda.net launcher. The move makes business sense, as Bethesda won't have to pay Steam operator Valve its cut of sales, but the announcement shocked some fans as previous Fallout games like Fallout 4 and Fallout 3 launched on Steam.

So why won't Fallout 76 be available on Steam? Bethesda marketing boss Pete Hines told GameSpot that the company wants to have a "direct relationship" with Fallout 76 players due to the game's always-online, multiplayer focus.

shadow763 10-10-2018 05:58 AM

Bethesda: We want all of your money. We could actually care less how much more of an inconvenience it is to the user.

brandonjclark 10-10-2018 06:11 AM

Yeah, fuck this. I was still holding out a slim chance of buying this, but I already have Origin, Steam, Battle.Net, UPlay and the Epic Games Launcher installed.

The LAST thing I want is another!

Ghostblaze 10-10-2018 06:25 AM

Personally I don't give a shit. If the game is good I'll play it. Don't care about installing another launcher, it's not a deal breaker for me.

Azrael 10-10-2018 06:41 AM

Yeah this is a little crazy, to many platforms to play games on. This has gone from a must buy to a sitting on the fence game.

Meusli 10-10-2018 07:32 AM

They are only doing this because Valve made them roll back their idiotic choices on charging for mods. Expect more fuckwittery as the saga continues, they are going in without lube this time.

Scherge 10-10-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrael (Post 2522419)
Yeah this is a little crazy, to many platforms to play games on. This has gone from a must buy to a sitting on the fence game.

THIS is the new platform war!

Sure, Microsoft and Sony still don't like each other much... But with Sony dominating this console generation, Microsoft (inadvertently or on purpose) pushing the PC instead of the Xbox, and Nintendo playing in their own little world, the real battle is fought for the 100+ million PC gamers and billion (?) Android users. One can only hope that it will stay software-only, and we won't be getting GOG-blocking (heh:-) Steam dongles anytime soon, now that their Linux initiative has failed...

vallor 10-10-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meusli (Post 2522428)
They are only doing this because Valve made them roll back their idiotic choices on charging for mods. Expect more fuckwittery as the saga continues, they are going in without lube this time.

^^
This. Charging for Mods, and charging dearly. Horse armor++.

vallor 10-10-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2522435)
THIS is the new platform war!

Sure, Microsoft and Sony still don't like each other much... But with Sony dominating this console generation, Microsoft (inadvertently or on purpose) pushing the PC instead of the Xbox, and Nintendo playing in their own little world, the real battle is fought for the 100+ million PC gamers and billion (?) Android users. One can only hope that it will stay software-only, and we won't be getting GOG-blocking (heh:-) Steam dongles anytime soon, now that their Linux initiative has failed...

Microsoft forced Sony's hand though in opening up cross-platform play which was a HUGE win for Phil Spencer and Xbox.

It may be a bittersweet win though in the event Microsoft "wins" next time around. They will have set the precedent everyone has to play nice.

thatlukeguy 10-10-2018 10:03 AM

Yeah, yeah ok fine, but at the same time if I ever wanted to play SWTOR, or DDO, or GW2, or any number of games like this, I had to start a game launcher that would patch the game, ask for login/password etc. It's not really that big a deal to me to be honest, and I'm a big fan of Steam overall.

Dag-Sabot 10-10-2018 10:05 AM

*sad trombone*

Tolgar 10-10-2018 01:02 PM

Heck, I remember a time when each Blizzard game had its OWN launcher lol. I don't see this as more than Beth trying to cash in on the "survival-craft-notzombies" craze anyway.

SacredWeasel 10-10-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2522416)
Yeah, fuck this. I was still holding out a slim chance of buying this, but I already have Origin, Steam, Battle.Net, UPlay and the Epic Games Launcher installed.

The LAST thing I want is another!

And with the exception of steam and and to a lesser extent battle.net, all of those launchers are bloody terrible. Oh and steam and battle.net used to be just as terrible...Anybody want to guess what bethesda's new fucking launcher that nobody asked for or wanted is going to be?

Phoenix1985 10-10-2018 03:45 PM

Wasn't buying it anyway, but at least this means we won't be seeing endless Steam sales of it like Skyrim had.

Mad Max RW 10-10-2018 05:07 PM

It became too much of a hassle to repeatedly mod out Fallout 4's main menu advertisements after every fucking patch so I permanently uninstalled. Bethesda and future Fallout (in name only) games are off my radar for now. And they should be for any PC gamer who has any respect for themselves.

PatrickRes9 10-10-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2522479)
It became too much of a hassle to repeatedly mod out Fallout 4's main menu advertisements after every fucking patch so I permanently uninstalled. Bethesda and future Fallout (in name only) games are off my radar for now. And they should be for any PC gamer who has any respect for themselves.

Quoted for truth.

Terran 10-10-2018 06:48 PM

Fallout is definitely off my radar and has been for a good long while. Steam or not, I don't care.

vallor 10-10-2018 06:56 PM

The only way I bought most of the Fallout games since Fallout 2 was on Steam sales when they got down to under $10 for the whole deal. I doubt we'll see that on this new Bethesda store.

On the brightside (for Bethesda) they won't have to give Gabe his 30% vig for being on Steam. We'll see if it's worth all the sales they are going to lose for not being there.

I suspect a lot of the reason Ubi and some others are still on Steam is because the opportunity cost/cost of acquisition per player on people to find their games on the Ubi Play launcher is so high it is cheaper to let them entangle their account via Steam and lose the 30% income.

The only reason Epic and EA have succeeded is because their games and/or IPs are so immense people put up with the separate launcher. But Fortnite was touch and go there for a while. Without Battle Royale who knows where the Epic launcher might be... it could have been on Steam before long.

LostToys 10-10-2018 07:26 PM

Without Fornight Battle Royal the Epic launcher would have been killed. Paragon was dying and UT is pretty much going nowhere. They would have been forced to go back to a standard storefront.

Now, Fornight is so damned big, that they had the absolute balls, and got away with it, to release their game on Android outside of the Play Store.

Orphiuchus 10-10-2018 11:04 PM

I'm not buying this because it looks fucking terrible, but even if it didn't, now I wouldn't.

Seriously, I loaded up FO4 just now to see if I really wanted something based on that gunplay, and the worst forced mouse smoothing in gaming greeted me. Who the fuck thought we wanted action fallout? Tell stories or fuck off.