Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Augmented-Reality Books (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248934)

BeardedSonOfNel 10-09-2017 11:09 AM

Augmented-Reality Books
 

Via Texas Public Radio

Quote:

Alice Asevedo works for Edgewood Independent School District. Laura Johansen home schools an elementary-aged child.

Both women are blown away by this training on Augmented-Reality books. AR books use smartphones or tablets to add a layer of content on traditional books.

Over their audible gasps, laughs and exclamations, there is a palpable excitement over how they can use these books.

"It's the Earth," says Johansen, "It's the whole Earth," she says staring at a three-dimensional model through an ipad.

"Oh my God," says Asevedo laughing.

Snipee 10-09-2017 11:34 AM

AR so far has been extremely underwhelming. Messed around with the hololense at work on Friday.. I see how it could be neat..but it's not at that point like VR is. It may take awhile for it to get to the "blow you away" status..

Sinistar 10-09-2017 12:38 PM

Two things come to mind regarding this post...

1. The fact that in Texas the would teach anything contrary to flat Earth :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipee (Post 2494922)
AR so far has been extremely underwhelming. Messed around with the hololense at work on Friday.. I see how it could be neat..but it's not at that point like VR is. It may take awhile for it to get to the "blow you away" status..

2. And how far off base ^ this guy is. AR is the future, VR is merely a toy. And I guess if that's the way your looking at it, as a toy, then... er, no, AR is still the better option.

Snipee 10-10-2017 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinistar (Post 2494937)
Two things come to mind regarding this post...

1. The fact that in Texas the would teach anything contrary to flat Earth :D



2. And how far off base ^ this guy is. AR is the future, VR is merely a toy. And I guess if that's the way your looking at it, as a toy, then... er, no, AR is still the better option.

Your first comment is a tad insulting..a smile at the end doesn't really change that.

In regards to the second, I respect your opinion, as you should respect mine. I'm a system administrator for a architecture firm. We are utilizing VR to explore new builds and designs. Utilizing VR clients are able to explore and comment on design choices before the project even begins. Toy...
AR has been beneficial to our designers for placing equipment, decor, and such.
But the impact we receive from VR vs AR is incredibly different. Of course, my only experience has been with the hololens... so my commentary is based from a single device. Unless you also consider Pokémon Go AR as it utilizes real locations and real world backdrops. Or if we ever reach a level of technology that mimics Minority Report.

As I stated, I do respect your opinion. I figure we will just need to wait and see. As with all things time will tell. Like 3D TV's...fads fade.

excalibur1814 10-10-2017 05:14 AM

Am I wrong in stating that VR is now old as AR is being released by Dell, HP, Acer etc? VR had its time and now it's time for AR to try and convince you to buy.

Snipee 10-10-2017 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excalibur1814 (Post 2495001)
Am I wrong in stating that VR is now old as AR is being released by Dell, HP, Acer etc? VR had its time and now it's time for AR to try and convince you to buy.

The question being, will they convince?
The equipment I've been messing with for enterprise users costs $5,000.
That is a hell of a buy in..

Snipee 10-10-2017 05:28 AM

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens/buy

Is this the beginning?
Because for that price...damn...
The quality of experience is very low.

Balhem 10-10-2017 05:39 AM

I myself am almost wondering if AR may eventually help VR become mainstream, kind of a bridge between non uses and people who love it.

LostToys 10-10-2017 09:04 AM

AR is great for enterprise or for day to day activities, but keep it far away from me as a gaming platform. I play games to escape my reality, not re-enforce it, so AR is a horrible technology because I will be constantly reminded of my environment at all times.

rubbishfoo 10-10-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipee (Post 2495000)
Your first comment is a tad insulting..a smile at the end doesn't really change that.

In regards to the second, I respect your opinion, as you should respect mine. I'm a system administrator for a architecture firm. We are utilizing VR to explore new builds and designs. Utilizing VR clients are able to explore and comment on design choices before the project even begins. Toy...
AR has been beneficial to our designers for placing equipment, decor, and such.
But the impact we receive from VR vs AR is incredibly different. Of course, my only experience has been with the hololens... so my commentary is based from a single device. Unless you also consider Pokémon Go AR as it utilizes real locations and real world backdrops. Or if we ever reach a level of technology that mimics Minority Report.

As I stated, I do respect your opinion. I figure we will just need to wait and see. As with all things time will tell. Like 3D TV's...fads fade.

I think you and I would get along. I'm also a sysadmin, but don't work with AR/VR at all.

I wish that I would see more replies like yours on the internet. I also like to take the stance that it is important to respect people online. Faceless and anonymous is when character matters the most.

Sinistar 10-10-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipee (Post 2495000)
Your first comment is a tad insulting..a smile at the end doesn't really change that.

Busted! It was intended to be snarky more than insulting and that is mostly due to the fact that Texas is the largest school textbook buyer in the US and because of that power they usually define curriculum for the rest of the country. Especially, but not limited to, here in the South. So, flat earth was the first thing that popped to mind. At least I didn't go the FSM route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipee (Post 2495000)
In regards to the second, I respect your opinion, as you should respect mine. I'm a system administrator for a architecture firm. We are utilizing VR to explore new builds and designs. Utilizing VR clients are able to explore and comment on design choices before the project even begins. Toy...
AR has been beneficial to our designers for placing equipment, decor, and such.
But the impact we receive from VR vs AR is incredibly different. Of course, my only experience has been with the hololens... so my commentary is based from a single device. Unless you also consider Pokémon Go AR as it utilizes real locations and real world backdrops. Or if we ever reach a level of technology that mimics Minority Report.

2 things, we're all anonymous here on EA and it's generally the rule of the thumb that *most* people will hide behind their screens and will feel free to verbally throw up on others. Again, I'm FAR more snarky then just a plain ole asshole but I digress.

In regards to your AR vs. VR comments - yeah, this is a gaming site. While you didn't specify the end-user application in your feedback I was left to ASSuME that you we're going with the "gaming" side of things. Certainly, VR & AR have more practical uses in industry such as you described. So, ok - cool!

And with that, we cool?

Snipee 10-11-2017 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinistar (Post 2495051)
And with that, we cool?

Indeed Sinistar, we are cool. lol

Snipee 10-11-2017 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubbishfoo (Post 2495047)
I wish that I would see more replies like yours on the internet. I also like to take the stance that it is important to respect people online. Faceless and anonymous is when character matters the most.

Thanks for that rubbishfoo, much appreciated!

vallor 10-11-2017 11:28 AM

I used to work with a company that created VR content for the healthcare industry. One of the biggest problems in healthcare is people don't follow through with their doctor's health instructions which results in poor outcomes.

The goal of the product we worked on was to allow doctors to educate patients about their disease so they understand the importance of following their treatment regimne or help remove some of the fear caused by not understanding what the doctor is doing.

It's one thing to tell someone the doctor has to install a Stent into your artery cause you ate too many fatburgers.

A patient may have no real idea what it is even if the doctor shows you on a plastic model. But if you see it actually happen and can stop and see it frame by frame in 3D it just makes more sense and more approachable. Hopefully removing some of the anxiety.and show how it progressed and help them better understand how it affected the systems of their bodies.



With AR imagine a class of medical students in Gross Anatomy 101 practicing against virtual cadavers with all the cut lines superimposed on the corpse rather than wasting a real cadaver on complete novices. Or being able to follow along with interactive exercises watching the over an interactive networked AR infrastructure as the instructor unfolds their teaching.

Imagine training on anything using AR to superimpose instructions and animations before ever lifting a screw driver. Even IKEA furniture!

For expense I wouldn't do hololens personally, not right now. The 40 degree view is limited and the kits cost $3,000. The meta glasses though have a greater FOV and the V2 beta only cost $800. I heard they recently started shipping.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:11 PM.