Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Game & Movie Releases for the week of May 5th to May 11th (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260326)

Evil Avatar 05-06-2019 07:26 AM

Game & Movie Releases for the week of May 5th to May 11th

Game & Movie Releases for the week of May 5th to May 11th, 2019.

Retail Games
Ghost Giant (PS4)
Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (Switch)

Movies & TV
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part
They Shall Not Grow Old
What Men Want
The Prodigy
Better Caul Saul: Season Four
My Hero Academia: Season Three - Part One
Everybody Knows
The Grand Duel
The Heiress Criterion Collection
Rhinoceros
Dragonheart: Battle for the Heartfire
A Dog's Purpose
The Man Who Haunted Himself
Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits: Season One - Part One
Kamisama Kiss: Season Two
The Nightcomers
Jormungand + Jormungand Perfect Order: The Complete Series

Box Office
Pokémon Detective Pikachu
The Hustle
All Is True
Tolkien
Charlie Says

vallor 05-06-2019 05:48 PM

Opening this week at the box office: 5 movies unlikely to make any money.

Maybe Pokemon (because of the brand and Ryan Reynolds name) will get people. It won't be competitive but it will get people.

The Hustle seems like a riff of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson instead of Michael Cane and Steve Martin. The original is a classic but few of the female cast remakes tend to do as well. Still, a comedy might draw a crowd.

I doubt we're going to see anything serious for the other three.

Evil Avatar 05-06-2019 05:51 PM

I can see Pokemon ending up #2 because it has that built in audience. Beyond that, the rest of those movies would have been way better served to release later in the summer after all the Avengers hype dies off.

Two weeks until Mother Freaking John Wick 3.

Chimpbot 05-06-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2536907)
I can see Pokemon ending up #2 because it has that built in audience. Beyond that, the rest of those movies would have been way better served to release later in the summer after all the Avengers hype dies off.

Two weeks until Mother Freaking John Wick 3.

I think Detective Pikachu will do quite well, overall. I'm probably going go catch it in theaters, entirely because it looks like it'll be fun.

Godzilla is my movie of the summer, though. Seeing Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah in a big-budget movie is what I've wanted for decades.

Mozain 05-06-2019 10:00 PM

So long as they keep the god damn people out of it (unlikely to happen I know ><).

The inclusion of Aaron Taylor-Johnson and his dumb stupid story really hampered the last one for me... Thank god we had Shin-Godzilla as a "pallet cleanser" between that one and this one.

Chimpbot 05-07-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2536914)
So long as they keep the god damn people out of it (unlikely to happen I know ><).

The inclusion of Aaron Taylor-Johnson and his dumb stupid story really hampered the last one for me... Thank god we had Shin-Godzilla as a "pallet cleanser" between that one and this one.

Here's the thing: Virtually all of the Godzilla movies in the history of the series focuses most of the action on the human storyline. He's never been in any of the movies longer than 25 minutes, and has appeared as little as 8 (give or take).

2014 was actually pretty standard, in terms of structure.

Mozain 05-07-2019 11:41 AM

Oh I'm not necessarily talking about people in general, rather specific ones. How many of the films focus on a soldier's journey and his life/accomplishments/heroics more than the impact of a destructive force on a populous?

That's what I took away from the 2014 version, and that's why Shin is a better experience in my opinion.

I mean I'd defer to your expertise on this front, but it's the same thing with 2000 movie (among many other problems of course).

Chimpbot 05-07-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozain (Post 2536953)
Oh I'm not necessarily talking about people in general, rather specific ones. How many of the films focus on a soldier's journey and his life/accomplishments/heroics more than the impact of a destructive force on a populous?

A lot of them focus on stuff beyond the impact of the monsters. The original Mechagodzilla movie spent an huge chunk of its runtime on people trying to get their hands on a small statue, for example

To a degree, they kinda needed that human hook to help sell the 2014 movie. The series doesn't have the greatest rep in the US, after all.

Quote:

That's what I took away from the 2014 version, and that's why Shin is a better experience in my opinion.
I don't even bother comparing the two, to be honest. Shin had much more in common with the 1954 film, while 2014 was essentially a modernized version of the movies we got in the late 60s/mid 70s. They're two very different versions of the character, trying to do two very different things. I enjoy them both, but I'd have to be in a certain mood for either of them.

An argument could be made that 2014's runtime was too long, but it also had the unenviable task of reintroducing the character while building the new setting. KotM, conversely, can hit the ground running.

TheHulk 05-09-2019 04:25 AM

The worst part of every Godzilla movie is the human part. I can't imagine anyone thinking "I'm not really into this whole Godzilla thing, but the human story is what makes me want to see this film."

Chimpbot 05-09-2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHulk (Post 2537121)
The worst part of every Godzilla movie is the human part. I can't imagine anyone thinking "I'm not really into this whole Godzilla thing, but the human story is what makes me want to see this film."

It depends on the movie, really. The human plot was pretty good with the '54 movie, and I liked the human element in Shin well enough. Others, on the other hand, are downright awful and exist only to progress the action along to the inevitable giant monster fight.

The draw will always be the monsters, for obvious reasons. Sometimes, the human plotline is also pretty decent.