Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Game of Thrones Viewers Spot Starbucks Cup in New Episode (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260329)

Evil Avatar 05-06-2019 07:56 AM

Game of Thrones Viewers Spot Starbucks Cup in New Episode

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1d93a229_z.jpg

Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the First of Her Name,
Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms,
the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt,
the Breaker of Chains, and Drinker of Pumpkin Spice.

Evil Avatar 05-06-2019 07:56 AM

A little bit of a Monday chuckle!

Which is also a nice segue into a What Are you Watching? thread. I've been mostly watching What We Do in the Shadows with the Mrs and the Orville on my own. (She doesn't much care for that one.)

Chief Smash 05-06-2019 09:13 AM

The wife and I have still been watching the Game of Thrones trainwreck though last night's episode warmed my heart in a couple of ways by (spoilers) killing off another dragon and that useless assistant whose name I'm not going to bother looking up to spell correctly now. That's about it as far as TV goes now that the Islanders got knocked out of the playoffs.

Booda 05-06-2019 09:32 AM

This last season of GoT really feels like they brought out their B team to handle it. I'm still enjoying it for the most part I suppose but the overall feeling of this season is "wrap that shit up".

Mad Max RW 05-06-2019 10:09 AM

George RR Martin must be laughing his ass off at the HBO garbage fire. Not only does he know what doesn’t work for the final book but he has an easy marketing tagline: the “true” ending to Game of Thrones.

Orphiuchus 05-06-2019 10:19 AM

The writing in the show has completely gone to shit. In previous seasons a conversation between Tyrian and Varys would have been full of cleaver little insights and allusions rather than outright statement of fact. Now they just repeat themselves over and over as if the writers think the audience is too dumb to pick to pick up on any subtlety whatsoever.
Every character plainly states what they want, how they feel, and what they're about to do.

It's bad fan-fiction written at a 9th grade level. HBO should have yanked control from D&D once they saw their plans. There's no reason to rush to wrap up the story this season, and the job they're doing of it is embarrassing.

Chief Smash 05-06-2019 10:28 AM

To be honest, I think the writing in this show has been downhill ever since the end of season 1. A lot of people like to say that the writing tanked after they ran out of books, and yes it has gotten worse since then. But, aside from the first book/season it wasn't great before that. GRRM writes great sentences but I don't think he wrote an overall great story.

holysin 05-06-2019 12:13 PM

Jeez, if you're going to outright copy someone's twitter post then you should at least link it.
https://twitter.com/ira/status/1125302824634445824

Terran 05-06-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda (Post 2536872)
This last season of GoT really feels like they brought out their B team to handle it. I'm still enjoying it for the most part I suppose but the overall feeling of this season is "wrap that shit up".

Exactly how it feels. Episode 2 was a 'let's all hang around the locker room and talk about the upcoming game while bonding w/each other," episode 3 had its moments but was an almost impenetrable wall of darkness, and last night's episode spent a solid half of the time with more locker room chatter, this time 'after' the big game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphiuchus (Post 2536878)
There's no reason to rush to wrap up the story this season

Except they've filmed the finale and spent the money doing so, thus...

I think the audience wants that closure too. It's been almost two years since the last season. Let's just get this damn thing done. ;)

Inkabodcrane 05-06-2019 01:13 PM

I'm mostly enjoying this season, but I can't give some final review until it's all out. I've also been watching Barry. It comes on after GoT. Starring Bill Hader, season 2 has been extremely hilarious at times. It is a great show, hopefully some of you have heard of it/are watching it.

I have been waiting for American Gods to finish airing so I can watch season 2. Netflix has spoiled my ability to watch shows weekly, doing so with GoT and Barry is rough. Looks like American Gods season 2 is done, so I know what I'll be doing later today.

walstib 05-06-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2536880)
To be honest, I think the writing in this show has been downhill ever since the end of season 1. A lot of people like to say that the writing tanked after they ran out of books, and yes it has gotten worse since then. But, aside from the first book/season it wasn't great before that. GRRM writes great sentences but I don't think he wrote an overall great story.

tend to agree it has gone downhill. it has become a soap opera grade series with high production values.

really though it just overstayed its welcome. it didnít need to be 8 seasons.

Evil Avatar 05-06-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphiuchus (Post 2536878)
The writing in the show has completely gone to shit. In previous seasons a conversation between Tyrian and Varys would have been full of cleaver little insights and allusions rather than outright statement of fact. Now they just repeat themselves over and over as if the writers think the audience is too dumb to pick to pick up on any subtlety whatsoever.
Every character plainly states what they want, how they feel, and what they're about to do.

It's bad fan-fiction written at a 9th grade level. HBO should have yanked control from D&D once they saw their plans. There's no reason to rush to wrap up the story this season, and the job they're doing of it is embarrassing.

What he said. The dragon thing in this episode was embarrassing. It's like they are just doing what it easy. Here's how we can save 50% on CGI for the final episode guys!

KlausFlouride 05-06-2019 06:25 PM

Unless the last two episodes are spectacular this whole season will be mediocre at best. HBO probably left the cup there to deflect from how shitty ep4 was. The whole attack sequence with the dragons was utter shit, the dragons were meant for CAS support like in the last episode.

ElektroDragon 05-06-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2536877)
George RR Martin must be laughing his ass off at the HBO garbage fire. Not only does he know what doesn’t work for the final book but he has an easy marketing tagline: the “true” ending to Game of Thrones.

What the hell are you guys on about?! The season has been nothing but EPIC. Didn't see the latest, just finished seeing The Long Night. Everything about the season is fucking EPIC. Ok, yes, intrigue time is over because its goddam WAR time now, no more "oooh hoo hoo I'm smarter than you" subterfuge. So what?

ElektroDragon 05-06-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KlausFlouride (Post 2536912)
Unless the last two episodes are spectacular this whole season will be mediocre at best. HBO probably left the cup there to deflect from how shitty ep4 was. The whole attack sequence with the dragons was utter shit, the dragons were meant for CAS support like in the last episode.

What the hell is CAS support? Speak English!

excalibur1814 05-07-2019 12:23 AM

Episode 3 was fantastic. The Arya Stark bit at the end... wonderful.

I've never known so many people that didn't realise that their TV had settings to increase brightness.

Juan 05-07-2019 03:01 AM

They're doing the best they can within the confines of the story. It's impossible to wrap everything up in a 100% satisfying manor, it was always going to feel a little rushed (not half as bad as the final Harry Potter book).

It just feels like people want to complain about...well anything and everything. GOT is still amazing TV and while this season has fallen into a strange rhythm of setup episode -> payoff episode, it is still by far the best show on TV.

The people slating it here are the same people who cream their pants at yet another shitty marvel movie that have been following the same wanky structure for 30 years...very odd.

Chief Smash 05-07-2019 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2536904)
What he said. The dragon thing in this episode was embarrassing.

I thought the dragon thing they did this episode was one of the best things they've done in a while. It was something that was kind of surprising in a way that really does move the story in another interesting direction.

Inkabodcrane 05-07-2019 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2536924)
They're doing the best they can within the confines of the story. It's impossible to wrap everything up in a 100% satisfying manor, it was always going to feel a little rushed (not half as bad as the final Harry Potter book).

It just feels like people want to complain about...well anything and everything. GOT is still amazing TV and while this season has fallen into a strange rhythm of setup episode -> payoff episode, it is still by far the best show on TV.

The people slating it here are the same people who cream their pants at yet another shitty marvel movie that have been following the same wanky structure for 30 years...very odd.

I mostly agree with you. People here, and everywhere they can type words,(like Forbes and others) want to shit on GoT this season. It's like they've been locked up and waiting for years to have the license to talk shit. If they had really been paying attention, they could have done this since the beginning. It's just that now that it is ending they feel the freedom to let loose. No one cares dudes, talk shit whether it's episode one or 100. Its just tiresome and predictable.

And I have to give Juan props (a person whom I seriously object with about the Alien films) that not only here, but it is a pathogen that has spread to all parts of the world that MCU films can do things and get away with them that other films cannot.

Endgame literally got away with its own "Martha" scene.

Quote:

The two Captain Americas engage in a brutal brawl, which leads them to fall a few floors to the ground, where the past Cap gains the upper hand and begins to choke future Cap. With his fading breath, future Cap whispers, "Bucky is alive!," which throws his 2012 counterpart off his game, and permits future Cap to knock him unconscious with the scepter
Oh but its okay this time. F off, fanboy children. Disney owns so many souls they should change their name to Shang Tsung.

holysin 05-07-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 2536924)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2536927)
I mostly agree with you. People here, and everywhere they can type words,(like Forbes and others) want to shit on GoT this season. It's like they've been locked up and waiting for years to have the license to talk shit. If they had really been paying attention, they could have done this since the beginning. It's just that now that it is ending they feel the freedom to let loose. No one cares dudes, talk shit whether it's episode one or 100. Its just tiresome and predictable.

And I have to give Juan props (a person whom I seriously object with about the Alien films) that not only here, but it is a pathogen that has spread to all parts of the world that MCU films can do things and get away with them that other films cannot.

Endgame literally got away with its own "Martha" scene.

Oh but its okay this time. F off, fanboy children. Disney owns so many souls they should change their name to Shang Tsung.

The writing in this season is just not as good. The reason is obvious. Allow me to quote someone else from somewhere else:

"before they passed up the books, the writers room was largely editing down from a huge set of source material and deciding what translates well into the show.
Now, they have something like an outline to go from and they’re responsible for building this massive story, clearly they’re not up to the task."

And that's the sad reality. If the writing is good enough for you then great, enjoy it. Just dont be fanboys who defend it blindly or else you're no better than the Marvel fanboys you hate.