Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Justice League's Snyder Cut coming to HBO Max (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266909)

Evil Avatar 05-20-2020 12:01 PM

Justice League's Snyder Cut coming to HBO Max

Quote:

So here, the morning after, was their agent saying that Toby Emmerich, chairman of Warner Bros. Pictures, was acknowledging the movement, and more importantly, was willing to accede. "This is real. People out there want it. Would you guys ever consider doing something?" was what Emmerich was asking, Zack Snyder recalls.

The answer to Emmerich's question, a whispered-about secret for months, was revealed Wednesday when Zack Snyder confirmed, at the end of an online screening of his 2013 movie, Man of Steel, that his version of Justice League was indeed real. And that it will be coming to HBO Max, the WarnerMedia digital streaming service launching May 27, and is expected to debut in 2021.

It is currently unclear what form Snyder’s Justice League will take. Whether it will be released as an almost four-hour director’s cut or split into six "chapters" has yet to be decided, but the Snyders are now in the midst of reassembling much of their original postproduction crew to score, cut, add new and finish old visual effects, and, yes, maybe bring back many of the actors to record additional dialogue.

Also unclear is the cost of the endeavor. One source has pegged the effort in the $20 million range, although another source says that figure could be closer to $30 million. The parties involved had no comment.

"It will be an entirely new thing, and, especially talking to those who have seen the released movie, a new experience apart from that movie," Zack Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter, noting that, to this day, he has not watched the version released in theaters.
THR.

vallor 05-20-2020 12:29 PM

I feel bad for the dude and why he wasn't able to finish the movie himself the first time however, I don't know if I am up to watch this again just for a few minutes of different footage.

I watched it in the theater and enjoyed it well enough but I fell asleep when I watched it again at home.

Plus I don't care to subscribe to HBOMax. This is getting as bad as the satellite TV days in the 80s and 90s where you had to subscribe to individual channels, which is one of the reasons Cable TV really took off.

Now that I've cut the cord on that shit I'm faced with people wanting me to subscribe to a dozen services?

Naw, no thanks.

Metal Jesus 05-20-2020 12:53 PM

Was this the movie with the god awful Superman mustache removal?~! That was some of the worst CGI in a major Hollywood blockbuster I have ever seen.

PacerDawn 05-20-2020 03:59 PM

I don't know, Man of Steel wasn't all that hot and had a LOT of plot holes. Eh, I'll probably watch it.

As for the question: Will it be cut into "chapters"? Of course it will be. Modern movies have shown that splitting a story into as many movie parts as possible is how you milk as much money out of people as you can.

And honestly, that's not always a bad thing. Sometimes you want more and are glad to get it. But then, all to often there are those other times when you wish they had just put it all into one film. We will see with this series.

karaliusbronius 05-20-2020 06:46 PM

This is awesome, I'm pretty stoked for this. But now I have to wait until 2021. It'll be a nice surprise when it's released :)

Evil Avatar 05-20-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2559806)
Was this the movie with the god awful Superman mustache removal?~! That was some of the worst CGI in a major Hollywood blockbuster I have ever seen.

Those were part of the Joss Whedon re-shoots and those scenes should be cut from this new version.

Evil Avatar 05-20-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2559803)
I feel bad for the dude and why he wasn't able to finish the movie himself the first time however, I don't know if I am up to watch this again just for a few minutes of different footage.

The Whedon version has 80 minutes of footage not in the Snyder cut and the Snyder cut is like 3.5 hours long.

It will almost be like a whole new movie.

Kawika 05-20-2020 07:20 PM

If they can do this for the Justice League, maybe they can do it for Episodes 8 and 9. 7 wasn't the best but it didn't make me wonder if I even liked Star Wars anymore.

Bring on the age of fixing broken movies.

Evil Avatar 05-20-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 2559840)
If they can do this for the Justice League, maybe they can do it for Episodes 8 and 9. 7 wasn't the best but it didn't make me wonder if I even liked Star Wars anymore.

I would love to see them do The Thing (2011). They shot the whole movie using practical effects, then some studio put crappy CGI over the top of them. I would love to see someone cut the movie back together with the original FX. You can find the demo reals on YouTube and they are amazing.

Ghostblaze 05-20-2020 11:11 PM

Too little too late. Their entire DC catalog of live action movies needs to scraped and forgotten. It's been one forgetable dumpster fire to the next.

vallor 05-21-2020 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostblaze (Post 2559852)
Too little too late. Their entire DC catalog of live action movies needs to scraped and forgotten. It's been one forgetable dumpster fire to the next.

I thought MoS was well done, though I could have done without the Zod death. That's just too far from Sups as we know him.

Wonder Woman and Aquaman were both great fun for me to see on both the big then small screen. The Ares fight went on a little too long in WW but the movie was like a breath of fresh air wafting out the stench of BvS and Suicide Squad. Seriously, talk about not surviving a second viewing...

I thought the released version of JL was OK, but it took itself too seriously in too many places. That's a problem with Snyder's style. Even just the typical silver wash he douses all his movies with leeches out the ability to have any fun at all. Also, having Steppenwolf as the baddie felt like a let down.

The Doomsday in BvS put Steppenwolf to shame for dread and that one killed Superman!

Chimpbot 05-21-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 2559840)

Doing anything like this with Ep8 or 9 would require reshooting the movies entirely. They can do this with a movie like Justice League because it was nearly complete with Snyder as the director. When he left the project due to his daughter's death, Joss Whedon was hired and ended up reshooting a large portion of the film. Essentially, there are are two distinct versions of this movie.

The closest thing we'd have to something like this would be Trevorrow's script and concept/storyboard art for Ep9. He was removed from the project well before shooting ever began, so they would have to make his version from scratch. The only Star Wars movies that could get this sort of treatment would be Solo and Rogue One, since they both had similar directoral circumstances.

Inkabodcrane 05-22-2020 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2559854)
I thought MoS was well done, though I could have done without the Zod death. That's just too far from Sups as we know him.

Also, having Steppenwolf as the baddie felt like a let down.

The Doomsday in BvS put Steppenwolf to shame for dread and that one killed Superman!

I can debate this for eternity. For reference I really liked the Zack Snyder films, and was hoping he would get to finish his arc. Not the kind of way I enter most topics, but allllrighty then.

The Zod death in MoS was amazing. It taught Superman the rule, the reason, as to why he is against killing people. He had to kill the very last person of his race; because, if you remember, that person repeatedly told him that he would never stop fighting until one of them was dead. Zod also said that he would kill every single human on the planet because Superman stopped him from terraforming the Earth. If that wasn't a both justifiable and necessary reason for killing him, on top of the immediate situation of the heat vision about to kill the family, then nothing is.

Steppenwolf was a let down. But he was never supposed to be the main baddie; it was supposed to be Darkseid. Step was just a minor villain to fill the first of 3 JL films, he was actually trying to get the Mother Boxes to kill Darkseid and then rule the universe himself. He was a stepping stone to Darkseid.

Even though Snyder originally planned a JL trilogy, hopefully his Snydercut can at least be a better story than the pathetic theatrical release.

Booda 05-22-2020 05:16 AM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DenseGripp...restricted.gif

Inkabodcrane 05-22-2020 05:16 AM

Also whenever I see someone say that Man of Steel, or any iteration of the character, is "not the real character" or something like that, I immediately discredit their opinion. Because the only way a person can say that is if they have only ever watched the Reeves films and the animated shows. If a person reads the comics, they will know that Superman can be a million different things. He can be a Russian Communist. An evil ruler. A powerless human. A Venom-like character who does what he wants, regardless of laws. Same for all of the Justice League. They only act in the manner that the writer of that story needs them to. PLEASE give me many different takes on these characters. If they can only act as they did in 1938 then studios are boring and playing it too safe.

excalibur1814 05-22-2020 03:08 PM

I really liked MOS. I also liked Batman Vs Superman.
I also found Justice League to be a whole lot of fun (Superman vs the League was such a strong scene. Loved it).

Were they perfect? Heck no. Did they star Kevin Sorbo? No. So it's that that bad.

RAV 05-22-2020 05:52 PM

I liked Man of Steel well enough. It had a couple great theatrical scenes that stuck with me. Things I'd consider classic moments, regardless of whether they adhere to the comicbooks. Like these:

If the quality is there, and you feel the writer was inspired by great literature in setting up character, and I don't mean copying scenes, I mean learning to understand human motives to which you can create any number of interesting takes, then sure, gimme the good stuff.

And even those stories where he is extremely out of character, but it makes sense and has something interesting to say are often cool. I like it when established characters are thrown into new situations they have to deal with, which further flesh them out in the process. Sometimes it's about what happens when your best friend goes astray or something. Other times it's just a cool "what if" scenario. Or having a bit of fun for a break.

But if they permanently changed Superman into a greenskinned weeaboo with antaenna growing out of his head and a totally different backround story. And after that it's a purple cow. And after that it's a ... and we never get to see something anymore that resembles the qualities of the original character at all, because that would just be "boring" ... then what's the point. Why not just make new and different characters entirely. I wish then creators were more creative in making new characters/settings/stories instead just messing around. But that takes actual talent... like the original creators had back in the day.

I often find it sad these days just how cheap these "innovative takes" often feel. As if the only way for an interesting new take on the character is to mess around, often rather thoughtless. An over-reliance on cheap tricks for trying to look any more interesting when it's really not. When you look back at a lot of these franchise origins, it's cool just how much more creative they were at the time, and yes even experimental, brimming with ideas and substance. These days it's actually very predictable what these "new takes" are gonna look like, what it's really about. So blatant, hamfisted, awkward that it reminds you... nope, just being "different" is not enough.

vallor 05-22-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2559914)
The Zod death in MoS was amazing. It taught Superman the rule, the reason, as to why he is against killing people. He had to kill the very last person of his race; because, if you remember, that person repeatedly told him that he would never stop fighting until one of them was dead. Zod also said that he would kill every single human on the planet because Superman stopped him from terraforming the Earth. If that wasn't a both justifiable and necessary reason for killing him, on top of the immediate situation of the heat vision about to kill the family, then nothing is.

For the record, I am really not a big Snyder fan. His silverwash tint to every movie (except 300 I guess, which was gold tint) drives me crazy. That said MoS is my favorite DC movie and Snyder film (I think I've said it before) and in my top 5 Super Hero movies of all time. Henry Cavill is probably the most perfect Superman ever cast and that's coming from someone who was raised on George Reeves in the TV show reruns and Christopher Reeves movies.

This explanation makes total sense and lets me love the movie without any reservations!

Quote:

Steppenwolf was a let down. But he was never supposed to be the main baddie; it was supposed to be Darkseid.
It doesn't matter what was supposed to happen, once Superman entered the scene it completely negated any threat Steppenwolf had despite needing that menace to carry the film to a satisfying conclusion. I guess that's the problem with Superman, things that give him a challenge are going to squash 90% of the other heroes (without serious cheating on the part of the comic authors or script writers).

I admit of being two minds about this because the entrance of Superman was a pretty uplifting moment which would have been seriously dampened if Steppenwolf was able to take all of the heroes at once.

I hope we get to see Justice League 2, the first made great money despite the criticism; maybe the Snyder cut is what we need to breath life back into this line of movies.

AlfredT 05-23-2020 09:12 PM

I've been watching these DC Animated Shorts they call DC Showcases. Most seem cool... except this Phantom Stranger guy.. holy shit was there any superhero so fucking lame.

vallor 05-23-2020 10:35 PM

One of the actors, don't know his name, said Darkseid was in Snyder's JL.

Not sure if it is a bit part or not, it seems like it is a little late to inject him till the end at which point it is likely going to be a cameo; like when they did the post-credits Thanos bits in the MCU.