Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weekend Gamer: What are you playing? (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266952)

Jetherik 05-22-2020 10:08 AM

Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?

Another weekend and another chance to enjoy all the game specials that are coming out. Lots of companies are doing free games. I've seen GTAV out there as well as Civ VI. Lots of great deals as well. What are you going to play this weekend?

MavenACTG 05-22-2020 10:11 AM

Fallout 76. They had a free weekend last time and it feels more like a Fallout game after all the updates, which include adding main quest lines and NPCs. They have a road map that adds more interesting features, like a game-board style challenge system of progression.

World is significantly sized and there's enough variety in mechanics to keep my interest. The Fallout humor is there. It was magical finding a Power Armor Chassis for the first time and understanding how the Power Armor system works. There's enough there that $30 wasn't a huge cost.

BalekFekete 05-22-2020 10:18 AM

Just as the Jersey beaches to open up, I'll be terrorizing those poor souls who do venture into the water in Maneater.

Chimpbot 05-22-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BalekFekete (Post 2559938)
Just as the Jersey beaches to open up, I'll be terrorizing those poor souls who do venture into the water in Maneater.

I forgot that came out today!

My wife has visceral fear of sharks, so I'm not sure if it's a game I could play while she's around.

ascl 05-22-2020 02:27 PM

Might check out maneater, that looks like good silly fun.

BeardedSonOfNel 05-22-2020 02:30 PM

This is the only shark game you need :P

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/07...09f35dd1e6.jpg

Evil Avatar 05-24-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascl (Post 2559957)
Might check out maneater, that looks like good silly fun.

I totally want to play this one, but not for $40. It should have been $20 right from the start.

Terran 05-24-2020 11:36 AM

I really need a recent RPG along the lines of Path of Exile, Diablo III, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc..There just doesn't seem to be much in that genre/playstyle around. I tried Divinity 2 and couldn't deal with the turn-based approach.

Recommendations?

RAV 05-24-2020 02:11 PM

Heard good things about Grim Dawn. Don't know about the story, but people said the character development and combat is lots of fun.

Terran 05-24-2020 02:23 PM

Good suggestion. Going to wait on a better sale for the definitive edition. TY!

BeardedSonOfNel 05-24-2020 06:27 PM

I played a lot of golf this weekend. Video game wise will be on 8 and 16 bit machines.

Chimpbot 05-26-2020 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2560023)
I totally want to play this one, but not for $40. It should have been $20 right from the start.

It's so much better than I anticipated going into it. I took the plunge at $40, and I don't really regret it, because it's a dumb, fun game. The game is framed like a Deadliest Catch-style reality show. Chris Parnell narrates everything, and most of what he says is pretty funny; it's almost as if the voiceover character he's playing is barely paying attention, and makes up shark facts throughout the whole ordeal. After one important cutscene, he says, "I can't even tell you what just happened, mainly because I was playing Candy Crush the entire time."

Plus, through "mutations" (ie, gear), you can turn yourself into a poison-spewing vampire shark.

It would be a better deal at $20, but I'm definitely going to get my $40 worth out of it when all is said and done.

Chief Smash 05-26-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavenACTG (Post 2559935)
Fallout 76. They had a free weekend last time and it feels more like a Fallout game after all the updates, which include adding main quest lines and NPCs. They have a road map that adds more interesting features, like a game-board style challenge system of progression.

World is significantly sized and there's enough variety in mechanics to keep my interest. The Fallout humor is there. It was magical finding a Power Armor Chassis for the first time and understanding how the Power Armor system works. There's enough there that $30 wasn't a huge cost.

I've really been feeling the urge to try it out but my kids hog the PS4 and my PC is old and I don't think the CPU meets the minimum requirements for 76. The I realized that I have Fallout 3 and 4 sitting in my Steam library, untouched. So I got Fallout 3 all configured so it can work on Windows 10 and I spent the weekend playing it. Eventually I hope to make my way through 3 and 4 and then proceed to 76.