Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top 10 Games EVERYONE should PLAY at least once! (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266954)

Metal Jesus 05-22-2020 11:30 AM

Top 10 Games EVERYONE should PLAY at least once!

Top 10 Games I think EVERYONE should PLAY at least once! Did I include your favorite? What did I miss?

AlfredT 05-23-2020 09:06 PM

I'm a weird old fart soo here is my 2c.

PC: Star Control 2 (Play the free HD remake you bastiges)
SNES: Terranigma (Why, because its like Zelda meets Chrono who gets a fucking spear)
Genesis: Crusader of Centy (GenesisZelda)
PSX: The Unholy War (Archon, updated)
PS2/XBOX: Wrath Unleashed (Updated Unholy War)

:) Hope you haven't heard of some of these gems and you like them

RAV 05-23-2020 09:13 PM

It's like an impossible task making such a list for people to agree on, but good job making an enjoyable video on it as usual.

Oh boy I could rant on forever on a bunch of games. I will just make a simple mention though, probably Minecraft fits the bill as well.

vallor 05-24-2020 04:56 AM

I don't think of Minecraft as a game, I see it more as what Will Wright used to call "a software toy". If the game part of it was judged on it's merits it would be a survival game and there are way better ones out there. Minecraft's true genius is the building mode.

I gotta thumbs up the SC2 vote. The free HD remake is called "The Ur Quan Masters"

If I were to add a game to the list I would add:
PC Arcade Flight Sim: Tie Fighter; nothing before or since has come close to mastering the mission structure, the progression system, and the atmosphere.

I really want to add the adventure game "The Dig" to the list, but I only get one so that's Tie Fighter!

AlfredT 05-24-2020 08:10 PM

Tie Fighter is the shit. I still have TIE Fighter/Defender of the Empire disks ;)

But lets be honest, flying with Vader was about as fun as being bitched around by your boss at work.

Alpha 1, do this, Alpha 1, dance for me.

If you recall disobeying Vader = his immortal TIE Advance shoots the shit out of you.

paragondk1 05-24-2020 11:55 PM

Some great choices.

Civilization for certain.
Witcher 3 - most immersive and ambitious RPG, finally knocked Planescape off its throne for me.
Dune 2, or if you wanted to be a bit more modern, Warcraft 3 or Starcraft ought to have made the list, as a must-play RTS.
Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island could have made a cameo too. :-)

SpectralThundr 05-25-2020 02:08 AM

MechWarrior3+Pirate's Moon Expansion
BattleTech
Dragon Age:Origins
Command and Conquer:Generals+ ZeroHour Expansion
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Xcom 2
Watch_Dogs (Yep I know everyone hated it but I loved the first one)
Saints Row 2
Sleeping Dogs

vallor 05-25-2020 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2560041)
MechWarrior3+Pirate's Moon Expansion

Mech3? I would have thought Mech 2 was the superior game, not only for the tight gameplay but also for the leap in technology it represented.

I mean, I liked mercenaries but Clans rocked :)

SpectralThundr 05-25-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2560043)
Mech3? I would have thought Mech 2 was the superior game, not only for the tight gameplay but also for the leap in technology it represented.

Clanners schammers.

BillyWilliamton 05-25-2020 04:08 PM

PC: Super Hero League of Hoboken

Metal Jesus 05-25-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfredT (Post 2560002)
PSX: The Unholy War (Archon, updated)

Wait...WHAT?! There was a console sequel to Archon!? Wow. I LOVED that game as a kid. I'm definitely checking that out!

Metal Jesus 05-25-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlfredT (Post 2560034)
Tie Fighter is the shit. I still have TIE Fighter/Defender of the Empire disks ;)

For a long, long time Tie Fighter was my favorite game ever... but it's been so damn long playing it, that I can no longer remember all the details...but I need to go back and replay it one of these days!

Scherge 05-26-2020 05:43 AM

I fully agree on "Burnout 3: Takedown" and "Uncharted 2" being the best in their respective series. Uncharted 2 was my personal game of the year 2009, before "Assassin's Creed 2"... although, from a gameplay point of view, AC2 was definitely more "enlightening".

I'd add "Street Fighter II" (or "Street Fighter II Turbo" on the SNES, to be more precise), which still holds up today. The same could be said for the original "The Settlers" ("Die Siedler"/"Serf City: Life is Feudal"), but you'd have to play it via an Amiga emulator (I don't recommend the PC port).

As for pure gameplay experiences, some experiments might deserve mention. I doubt everyone NEEDS to play "Katamari Damacy", but "Portal" should probably be on that list. Then again, it'd be competing with "Tetris" and "Half-Life 2", so it would probably lose. :o

SpectralThundr 05-26-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2560043)

Also while I'm thinking of it, the engine Zipper used for Mech 3 made Activision's inhouse engine used for all the "Mech 2" titles look like hot garbage.

Chief Smash 05-26-2020 08:20 AM

Great video MJ. It made me feel some of that gamer shame because I've never played a mainstream Civ game. I thought I should rectify that and found that Civ 6 is free on the Epic Store. I'm going to fire it up tonight and play side by side with my son.

PacerDawn 05-26-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2560016)
I gotta thumbs up the SC2 vote. The free HD remake is called "The Ur Quan Masters"

Not Starcon 2. The game it was basically based on, Starflight! If there was ever a game that needed a refresh, that is the one.

But on topic, here's a few not on your list:
  • Open World: Starflight
  • RTS: Dungeon Keeper 2
  • 4X: Master of Magic
  • Text: Colossal Cave
  • FMV: Gabriel Knight 2

vallor 05-26-2020 02:16 PM

It's weird to me Shadow of the Colossus and Eco the Dolphin got missed.

SotC is supposed to be one of THE best games ever made (and one of the first to elevate games to an "Art" for many mainstream non-gamers) and it had an HD remake for the PS/4 so maybe it would be more approachable for new gamers than some of the games from the 80s and 90s we have populating most of the list right now.

stalazon 05-26-2020 06:37 PM

I picked up SotC remaster or whatever and couldn't figure out how the fuck to play it with decades of gaming (PC) exp when using a ps2 controller. Gave up and look forward to a better version or update to the artistic style who can better ease me into how to play it.

/not a console gamer.

PatrickRes9 05-26-2020 10:00 PM

Outstanding list...really. Can't think of anything I would have swapped except for "personal preference". Probably a Metroid game in there. Otherwise....a list you cant really argue with. Stellar games that were one of a kind. If im really begging to be different, I probably would have picked Burnout 2 over 3 for racing game. It wasn't as fast, that's true, but that was the game that made the Burnout experience for me. Either way, it doesn't matter. It's splitting hairs. Great games. Thoughtful video.

RAV 05-26-2020 10:44 PM

I enjoyed the picks of MetalJesus. It makes sense.

Though it's too contentious to make a definitive list so short. Too many people would insist that Starcraft or Counterstrike or World of Warcraft or League of Legends or Battlefield or Mario64 or some Zelda need to be on such a list. There is plenty objective reasons for that. Then others would prefer whole different games again for other reasons. There's plenty of ground breaking games that left a deep mark some way or another. There is also a bit uncertainty of what essential means. Or why people need to have played some game. Because it did something new? Because it was a special experience no other game offers ever since? A hidden gem? Best of its class? Because it was influential for other games? Or because it's very popular to this day? Very difficult.