Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nintendo Outlines Mario Kart 8 Improvements And Content Additions Coming To Switch (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244018)

Emabulator 03-13-2017 08:39 PM

Nintendo Outlines Mario Kart 8 Improvements And Content Additions Coming To Switch

Game Informer has the story.

Quote:

Right off the bat, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes packaged with all of the Wii U version's DLC, from Link and his home stage of Hyrule Circuit, to the endearingly wacky Mercedes-Benz kart bodies. On top of the baked-in DLC, Deluxe will also include a wealth of new content, including five new racers, bringing the grand total of playable characters to a series-high of 42 (but still no Birdo, who has been sadly missing in action since Mario Kart Wii). The new challengers are Dry Bones, King Boo, Bowser Jr., and Splatoon characters Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl. In addition, Splatoon-themed amiibos can now be used to unlock outfits for Mii racers.

No new courses are being developed for the traditional races, but the original release's oft-derided take on Battle Mode is getting a complete overhaul. Mario Kart 8 tried to shake up the classic Battle Mode formula by removing the traditional enclosed arenas and having the action take place on the normal circuits. Ultimately, the fandom unanimously rejected this approach, and Nintendo noticed. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe completely replaces the Wii U's Battle Mode, setting the action on eight arenas (five new, three from classic Mario Kart titles) and bringing back fan-favorite modes like Bob-Omb Blast, Shine Thief, and Coin Runners. A brand new mode, Renegade Roundup, has players attempting to capture one another with potted Piranha Plants.

Rounding out the package are a series of small, but significant, improvements: a new Smart Steering control setting will keep less experienced players from constantly falling out of bounds and falling hopelessly behind the pack; characters will be able to carry two items instead of just one, allowing for more action-packed races; when played in the Switch's Docked Mode, the game runs at 1080p, a marked boost from the Wii U's 720p mode.
Click on the Headline for the Trailer.

Emabulator 03-13-2017 08:40 PM

Anemone 03-13-2017 09:00 PM

Really looking forward to this one.

SpectralThundr 03-13-2017 09:04 PM

No new courses, enjoy the 60 dollar rehash of a Wii title.

brandonjclark 03-13-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2476960)

Yeah, I find that a little annoying. However, it's not like I'm asking for new levels in other games when they are ported.

Anemone 03-13-2017 10:09 PM

I haven't actually played like the last 2-3 of these, so it will be pretty much all new courses :P

Rommel 03-13-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2476963)
Yeah, I find that a little annoying. However, it's not like I'm asking for new levels in other games when they are ported.

Really? Because I always ask for new additions when a game is ported. Otherwise, why care?

Juan 03-14-2017 03:00 AM

Quote:

It's not a Wii title. Also they did throw in all the dlc courses (12) so there is likely new content for most people. It's still a bit of a cash grab but i'll buy it.

Chimpbot 03-14-2017 05:12 AM

Quote:

For the multitudes who didn't buy a Wii U, it's essentially a new game. Also, it's a port; the situation is absolutely no different than any other time a game has been ported or "remastered".

If they were calling this Mario Kart 9, there would be an issue. They're not...so, there isn't one. Or rather, there shouldn't be one.

Capt_Thad 03-14-2017 05:39 AM

No new race courses (for those who had the DLC), but there are several new battle courses with a handful of new battle modes. In terms of multiplayer, that's kinda like doubling the content. Previous battle mode was basically worthless.

Get some gameplay enhancements, get some graphical enhancements, and adapting to Switch hardware opens up new means for local play. $60 isn't great if you just bought the game, but there's $60 worth of game here.

The one change I wanted to see though was red shells being made less 'smart'. They're basically mini-blue shells in MK8. Way, way more worried about an opponent with a triple red shell than a blue shell.

screwyluie 03-14-2017 09:32 AM

any game ported from wii u is going to be worth a buy because no one bought the wii u version lol.

as for kart games, I haven't really played one since MK64 so it'll be nice to get into one again.

LostToys 03-14-2017 09:50 AM

I was really disappointed in Mario Kart 8. It was the first Mario Kart I played where I stopped after the 150cc races and never looked back. It just did not click with me like the previous entries in the series, and I think a part of it was due to the DLC.

shadow763 03-14-2017 10:05 AM

Oh its ok, no one bought a Wii U. FFS people. They haven't done shit to this game. It gets a resolution bump and all DLC. At least when they have ported games in the past it typically gets a visual bump, HD textures, etc. Not just a resolution bump. Should be 40 tops.

Chimpbot 03-14-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2477027)
Oh its ok, no one bought a Wii U. FFS people. They haven't done shit to this game. It gets a resolution bump and all DLC. At least when they have ported games in the past it typically gets a visual bump, HD textures, etc. Not just a resolution bump. Should be 40 tops.

They also completed retooled the battle mode, in addition to adding new characters above and beyond the DLC from the Wii U version.

Chief Smash 03-14-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Should be 40 tops.

I agree and so do many others. While releasing this at full price probably won't bother people that skipped the Wii U, it does feel like it punishes those who bought the original with all of its DLC. But the word on the street is that Nintendo is reconsidering the pricing. Personally I really liked MK8 but I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to re-buy it.

Anemone 03-14-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

A, they have done some stuff to it, B it's a port so why would you expect an entirely new game, and C yes, no one bought a WiiU.

PatrickRes9 03-14-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2477042)
I agree and so do many others. While releasing this at full price probably won't bother people that skipped the Wii U, it does feel like it punishes those who bought the original with all of its DLC. But the word on the street is that Nintendo is reconsidering the pricing. Personally I really liked MK8 but I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to re-buy it.

I'm borderline on this. I really enjoyed MK8 on Wii U a lot. I bought the DLC and unlocked everything. An vastly improved battle mode (the one real flaw in the game FIXED) and more characters isn't a bad thing at all. However rebuying it at full price. Not sure. I wish they'd offer a nice discount if you have the Wii U version. That'd would make it a no-brainer. Anyone who hasn't purchased or played the Wii U version will get plenty of value at full price. There is a reason the game sold 8.26 million copies on a platform that had an install base of 13.4 million. A revamped battle mode and more characters will make this arguably the best game in the franchise.

Suicidal ShiZuru 03-14-2017 12:37 PM

Too bad they didn't give this game the same treatment Fast RMX received. Nintendo better not fuck up anymore releases in the future since they're already on thin ice. As someone smart enough to have avoided the Wii and Wii U it all seems new to me anyways.

blackzc 03-14-2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

I bought a WiiU. I was the worse console purchase of my entire life. This console single handedly caused me to go PC/Sony and never look back. Nintendo is dead, and the sooner they go 3rd party and then subsequently go out of business because they wont be able to fuck customers by charging 70$ for contollers the better off we will all be.

Anemone 03-14-2017 10:14 PM

Just buy a Switch already, you know you want to. The WiiU was just a bad dream.