Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gamer's Death Pushes Risks of Live Streaming Into View (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244081)

Emabulator 03-15-2017 03:37 PM

Gamer's Death Pushes Risks of Live Streaming Into View
 

The New York Times has the story.

Quote:

Early on Feb. 19, Brian C. Vigneault was nearing the end of a 24-hour marathon of live streaming himself playing the tank warfare video game World of Tanks when he left his computer to buy a pack of cigarettes. He never returned.

During the break, Mr. Vigneault died in his Virginia Beach, Va., home. The medical examiner’s office in Norfolk, Va., said that Mr. Vigneault’s cause of death had not yet been determined. There was no indication of foul play, according to the police in Virginia Beach.

But Mr. Vigneault’s friends wonder if the lengthy live streaming on Twitch, a website owned by Amazon that lets people broadcast themselves playing games, may not have helped. At the time of his death, Mr. Vigneault, 35, had streamed for 22 hours straight to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Two of his friends said that he often broadcast his game playing for long periods.

“He was looking really tired on the stream,” said Jessica Gebauer, a live streamer and a friend of Mr. Vigneault’s. “We were telling him, ‘Just to go to bed. It’s not a big deal. Nobody’s going to worry about it.’”

ElektroDragon 03-15-2017 05:22 PM

Killed by such a shitty game and cigarettes. What a way to go. :(

screwyluie 03-15-2017 05:31 PM

No one is going to die from 22 hours without sleep. My God they will make up anything won't they?

brandonjclark 03-15-2017 05:44 PM

I must be a cat and on my ninth life because in IT we stay up for looooong periods of time. Days, even.

Azzy 03-15-2017 06:28 PM

It probably contributed.
Not nearly as much as his nicotine addiction or his apparent penchant for self abuse.
It contributed about as much as his choice of footwear, his desk chair, his innate high lung or lung breathing, his posture, his diet, his sleep patterns, his affinity for daylight, etc.
But no, it was the flashing lights in front of his face that eventually did him in.

Also, seriously, for that game? Ungh.

shadow763 03-15-2017 06:48 PM

Blood clot from sitting too long maybe?

Anemone 03-15-2017 07:01 PM

So what, people gonna die, it happens. As long as no one killed him, it's not an issue. None of us know when we're gonna go, and we live with the risks we take. Non-issue.

Terran 03-15-2017 07:22 PM

The effects of sleep deprivation begin within 24 hours. It won't directly cause one's death at that short time span, but it can definitely trigger underlying preexisting issues that lead to one's ignominious end. Blood pressure goes up for one thing. Also, fatigue can be dangerous depending upon what you're doing (sitting in a chair playing a game while tired generally isn't dangerous, but driving would be, lol).

Sad, but he went out trying to help others. At least there's that.

Chimpbot 03-16-2017 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 2477268)
So what, people gonna die, it happens. As long as no one killed him, it's not an issue. None of us know when we're gonna go, and we live with the risks we take. Non-issue.

While this callous outlook is technically correct, it's not like this guy existed in a vacuum; he had family and friends who probably see this as much more of an issue than you do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwyluie (Post 2477256)
No one is going to die from 22 hours without sleep. My God they will make up anything won't they?

No one is actually saying he died specifically because of this singular incident of sleep deprivation. The article actually touches upon the extremely unhealthy and taxing culture game streaming has formed. For the people who stream and have a large following, it's quite literally their job...and it comes with an audience that often times demands 24/7 access to their entertainment. If these folks aren't online, their fickle audience will simply flock to someone else...which costs the streamers income and directly affects their bottom line.

The lion's share of this article is about the negative impact this lifestyle can have on people. It's been garnering more attention recently.

So, no. This singular incident of sleep deprivation did not kill Mr. Vigneault. He was, however, an active streamer and this likely wasn't the first time he pulled stuff life this.

screwyluie 03-16-2017 05:43 AM

I don't care how often you go 22 hours without sleep it's not going to kill you. I've been doing it for over 30 years. When I was a kid I'd go days, sometimes as many as 6, without sleep. These days I regularly go 36 hours or more without sleep. Even though my doctor doesn't think it's a good idea he's told me I have no existing conditions that would be aggravated by it and it would have no long term affects on my health.

You don't die from sleep deprivation, you go nutz. The title and article are baseless sudo accusations because you're right, they don't come out and blame the lack of sleep but it's very much implied. It's just more bullshit reporting by people who don't know wtf they're talking about but are looking to stir up some viral attention.

Chimpbot 03-16-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwyluie (Post 2477303)
I don't care how often you go 22 hours without sleep it's not going to kill you. I've been doing it for over 30 years. When I was a kid I'd go days, sometimes as many as 6, without sleep. These days I regularly go 36 hours or more without sleep. Even though my doctor doesn't think it's a good idea he's told me I have no existing conditions that would be aggravated by it and it would have no long term affects on my health.

This is all anecdotal; you are simply one instance, not the norm. Sleep deprivation is simply not good for the human body. Extended bouts of sleep deprivation can cause numerous problems andexacerbate pre-existing issues.

Quote:

You don't die from sleep deprivation, you go nutz. The title and article are baseless sudo accusations because you're right, they don't come out and blame the lack of sleep but it's very much implied. It's just more bullshit reporting by people who don't know wtf they're talking about but are looking to stir up some viral attention.
There's plenty of research supporting the negative impact a lack of sleep can have on the body. While no one has died specifically because of sleep deprivation, the stress it places on the body - compounded with lifestyle choices - can result in death.

Again, the article doesn't directly blame sleep deprivation. It's almost entirely about the streamer lifestyle, which tends to be extremely unhealthy while also including extended bouts of sleep deprivation in many cases.

DeadPixel 03-16-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwyluie (Post 2477303)
I don't care how often you go 22 hours without sleep it's not going to kill you. I've been doing it for over 30 years. When I was a kid I'd go days, sometimes as many as 6, without sleep. These days I regularly go 36 hours or more without sleep. Even though my doctor doesn't think it's a good idea he's told me I have no existing conditions that would be aggravated by it and it would have no long term affects on my health.

You don't die from sleep deprivation, you go nutz. The title and article are baseless sudo accusations because you're right, they don't come out and blame the lack of sleep but it's very much implied. It's just more bullshit reporting by people who don't know wtf they're talking about but are looking to stir up some viral attention.

Agreed, I've also gone through 30 hours of no sleep many times while working on project releases or even gaming with friends. I start to feel like a zombie after about 20 hours, but around hour 25 your body clock is fooled into thinking you actually did sleep some and gives you a boost from the power reserves :) Then around hour 30 no amount of coffee can make me feel awake. I usually end up sleeping 15 hours straight to recover from this.

Chimpbot 03-16-2017 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPixel (Post 2477306)
Agreed, I've also gone through 30 hours of no sleep many times while working on project releases or even gaming with friends. I start to feel like a zombie after about 20 hours, but around hour 25 your body clock is fooled into thinking you actually did sleep some and gives you a boost from the power reserves :) Then around hour 30 no amount of coffee can make me feel awake. I usually end up sleeping 15 hours straight to recover from this.

Singular instances won't really do much long-term. Everyone has done this - including myself - and we're all here to talk about it later.

The point behind all of this is the lifestyle that is almost required to be a "professional streamer", which is extraordinarily unhealthy. Sleep deprivation is simply one of the numerous negative aspects of it...and it exacerbates everything.

Sleep deprivation negatively impacts our immune system, impedes brain growth, diminishes production of growth hormones and drastically increases the levels of stress hormones being excreted into the body. Sleep is, quite literally, the human body's repair cycle.

Don't even bother to sit here and tell me sleep deprivation is perfectly fine and doesn't come with a myriad of health risks. It simply isn't true.

screwyluie 03-16-2017 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2477305)
This is all anecdotal...no one has died specifically because of sleep deprivation

uh huh... never mind I gave you direct quote from a doctor which defies the very definition of anecdotal.

You've managed to write a clever reply that completely agrees with my post but still makes it seem like I'm wrong. Well done, terran would be proud.

Nighthawk 03-16-2017 06:12 AM

If he had a bad chair it could have also been a blood clot. I had a coworker that was a secretary and sat much of the day in a very hard chair, but was quite skinny and active, walking, running and playing baseball. She got a blood clot in her leg one morning and before the ambulance could come get her, she had a full on pulmonary embolism when it came loose.

So while streaming itself isn't an issue, sitting in poorly designed chairs for long periods of time can make you more susceptible to problems. Add into that likely poor health habits (just a guess) and the smoking and his circulatory system was probably just a ticking time bomb.

Chimpbot 03-16-2017 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwyluie (Post 2477309)
uh huh... never mind I gave you direct quote from a doctor which defies the very definition of anecdotal.

One quote from one doctor about one patient is extremely anecdotal.

Quote:

You've managed to write a clever reply that completely agrees with my post but still makes it seem like I'm wrong. Well done, terran would be proud.
What I'm disagreeing with is the notion that sleep deprivation isn't that big of a deal. It really, really is.

screwyluie 03-16-2017 07:19 AM

an·ec·do·tal
(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research

I mean unless you're going to out right call me a liar and I made up the quote from my doctor, then no it's not anecdotal at all. In fact it's very much the opposite.

You say you're disagreeing with sleep deprivation not being a big deal when no one has claimed it isn't. I said it doesn't kill people as the article strongly implies. They are not the same discussion, it's a misdirection on your part.

sleep deprivation does not kill people. The article strongly implies and leaves a lasting impression with the reader that it does... this is wrong. If you want to argue with me about something at least be on topic.

Meeks 03-16-2017 07:44 AM

Next you're going to try to tell me some kid in a smoky Chinese internet cafe somewhere got up to use the bathroom after a binge gaming session and keeled over dead on the spot. When will these unsubstantiated attacks on the chair industry cease?

Chimpbot 03-16-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwyluie (Post 2477318)
an·ec·do·tal
(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research

I mean unless you're going to out right call me a liar and I made up the quote from my doctor, then no it's not anecdotal at all. In fact it's very much the opposite.

Your statement was anecdotal and I'm not calling you a liar. It's not reliable information because it's based on a personal account. Again, one doctor made one statement about one patient. It's anecdotal information.

Re-read that definition; your statement is wholly anecdotal. This doesn't make you a liar.

Quote:

You say you're disagreeing with sleep deprivation not being a big deal when no one has claimed it isn't. I said it doesnt kill people as the article strongly implies. They are not the same discussion, it's a misdirection on your part.

sleep deprivation does not kill people. The article strongly implies and leaves a lasting impression with the reader that it does... this is wrong. If you want to argue with me about something at least be on topic.
I guess we took two very different things from the article, then. I took it as an indictment of the "streamer culture" and the shit they put themselves through to earn a living. Nobody is directly blaming sleep deprivation for this death; it's symptomatic of a far larger issue and drastically exacerbated the situation.

You claim you're not saying sleep deprivation isn't a big deal...but you brush it aside with an anecdote about how you'd have extended periods with little to no sleep, effectively saying it's not a big deal. You made it through okay, so it must be fine...right? Your family practitioner said you'd probably be fine, so it must be okay...right?

Sleep deprivation is a big deal. It likely directly contributed to - but was not the precise cause - of this man's death. I don't care what your primary care physician said; there is plenty of research supporting the notion that sleep deprivation negatively impacts your health in immediately noticeable ways. Regardless of what you're trying to say now, you were clearly trying to brush it off as a non-issue.

Terran 03-16-2017 08:19 AM

Doctors: Third leading cause of death in the United States.

Quote:

Through their analysis of four other studies examining death rate information, the doctors estimate there are at least 251,454 deaths due to medical errors annually in the United States. The authors believe the number is actually much higher, as home and nursing home deaths are not counted in that total.
Quoting a single doctor isn't any more valuable than quoting the barking of a dog. It's an anecdote. LOL@U.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:09 AM.