Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Performance Analysis: Mass Effect Andromeda (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244157)

Emabulator 03-18-2017 02:52 PM

Performance Analysis: Mass Effect Andromeda

The Digital Foundry has tested the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Mass Effect Andromeda. Frame-rates are capped at 30fps.

Quote:

Going into technical specifics, first impressions suggest a similar roll-out of the Frostbite tech on PS4 and Xbox One, but predictably, resolution counts differ. We can't rule out an implementation of DICE's dynamic scaling technology, but the pixel counts early on suggest two different profiles for each version of the game. Actual gameplay follows a set pattern of operating at full HD on PlayStation 4, while Xbox One runs at 900p - similar to what we saw in BioWare's Dragon Age Inquisition. The Microsoft platform presents a little more softly in higher contrast areas, but in common with many 1080p/900p divides, there's little to distract in terms of overall image quality.
Click on the Headline for the Video.

Emabulator 03-18-2017 02:52 PM

Wizzkidd 03-18-2017 05:14 PM

Yeah, saw this. I already preordered it for Xbox, because I replay these games and I'll be getting a Scorpio. So I'll keep that preorder, but I went ahead and ordered it for PC after seeing how weak the console versions are.

31 Flavas 03-18-2017 07:43 PM

I've never really had any interest interest in non-Nintendo platforms. However, I thought the xBone and PS4 were supposed to solve the ~900p resolution issues that the 360 and PS3 had.

screwyluie 03-18-2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Flavas (Post 2477696)
I've never really had any interest interest in non-Nintendo platforms. However, I thought the xBone and PS4 were supposed to solve the ~900p resolution issues that the 360 and PS3 had.

nope although it has gotten better they still can't hit resolution or framerate targets they promised all the time.

SpectralThundr 03-18-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Flavas (Post 2477696)

They have for dev teams that are competent.

ElektroDragon 03-18-2017 08:30 PM

900p on X1, 1800p on PS4 Pro! Trololololo! Who needs a PC? :D

ElektroDragon 03-18-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzkidd (Post 2477681)
Yeah, saw this. I already preordered it for Xbox, because I replay these games and I'll be getting a Scorpio. So I'll keep that preorder, but I went ahead and ordered it for PC after seeing how weak the console versions are.

Except I'll be playing it on my 12TB PS4 Pro at 1800p downsampled to my 65" 1080p set and it will look astounding.

ElektroDragon 03-18-2017 08:32 PM

That said, I AM getting a Scorpio ASAP, because my lead platform is dictated on raw power, not fanboyism. I just tend to despise PC for gaming in my old age, is all.

Wizzkidd 03-18-2017 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2477703)
Except I'll be playing it on my 12TB PS4 Pro at 1800p downsampled to my 65" 1080p set and it will look astounding.

I thought about getting it for Ps4 Pro also (and I still might) because I have a 65" 4k but I saw a Giant Bomb video where they were playing on the Pro and the cutscenes were still in 900p and they were still noticing weird dips in fps and jankiness. I just upgraded my pc with 32gb of ddr4 ram, sli 1070's and a 4k monitor so I just thought screw it I'll play it there.

But Mass Effect is a controller game to me and ME3 on PC never had gamepad support., hope this one does.

I'll still be playing on Xbox first because my pre-order unlocks at 9pm Monday, my pc version arrives Tuesday.

screwyluie 03-18-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2477704)
my lead platform is dictated on raw power, not fanboyism

...owns consoles... :confused:

defiant 03-18-2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2477703)
900p on X1, 1800p on PS4 Pro! Trololololo! Who needs a PC?

Anyone who isn't a console peasant and knows the difference between native 4K rendering and chequerboard upscaling.

And lol at anyone willing to pay full retail price for this piece of half baked Bioware trash.

Wizzkidd 03-19-2017 01:22 AM

I guess you're "lol" -ing at me then. Enjoy yourself. Here is over 2 hours of continuous gameplay on a PS4 Pro by Giant Bomb. You'll see that there aren't any instances like there are in that popular, trendy Pewdepie video everyone keeps sharing. I don't know what version of the game or system those clips are from, but it's obviously not that common.

If anything, it's the same as when Bethesda puts out a new game on their Gamebroyo engine. They're full of hilarious bugs that people talk about and such. Maybe Mass Effect will be hella screwy, I don't know. But when I watch actual gameplay videos I'm not seeing that silly shit. At least not to the level in that video.

Wizzkidd 03-19-2017 01:24 AM

idk what happened above, but here it is:

vallor 03-19-2017 02:17 AM

Stop the presses! PS4 performance beats Xbox One! Holy Christ on a Pogo stick!

And later tonight, in a groundbreaking expose, Rick Romero will explain to us how it is that water is STILL wet, the sky is often sort of blue-ish, and the Sun still rises and sets EVERY SINGLE DAY in most places in the world!

Will wonders never cease?

Then when you get to the end it basically boils down to "Well, you can't really tell unless you're looking really hard for it. But we looked hard for it so we can tell you what to look for in case you need to justify, or not justify, your choice in console and the version you decide to buy. But if you don't really care it doesn't matter. Btw, they are basically the same. We really don't give a fuck; we wasted a lot of time writing this and gathering all the data so we could expense all this shit on our taxes and justify a paycheck. Awesome, amirite?"

Chimpbot 03-19-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2477701)
They have for dev teams that are competent.

And yet it always comes at a cost, despite the "raw power" of the PS4 and Xbox One. Hell, even the PS4 Pro suffers from similar problems and it's sounding like Scorpio will suffer a similar fate.

Mad Max RW 03-19-2017 09:39 AM

I can't imagine going back to fucking 900p or even 1080 after becoming so used to 4k. Might as well take sandpaper to my eyes.

ElektroDragon 03-19-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defiant (Post 2477710)
Anyone who isn't a console peasant and knows the difference between native 4K rendering and chequerboard upscaling.

And lol at anyone willing to pay full retail price for this piece of half baked Bioware trash.

Are you kidding me?! Those facial animations are HILARIOUSLY AWESOME! Instant day one purchase for me! You guys take things way too seriously!

Chimpbot 03-19-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2477733)
Are you kidding me?! Those facial animations are HILARIOUSLY AWESOME! Instant day one purchase for me! You guys take things way too seriously!

I think a lot of it stems from the fact that - despite the missteps made with the previous game - people really love Mass Effect. It's a great series, the previous trilogy was (mostly) excellent...and this is what we're getting as a follow-up. It simply doesn't look good, especially when stacked up against games from two years ago. Hell, the facial animations from Mass Effect are better and more on point than what we've seen from Andromeda...and that game is 10 years old!

Plus, there's the simple fact EA/Bioware dumped $40 million into this game and this is the end result. It feels like they dumped this game on the Bioware C-Team, since their A- and B-teams are working on a new IP and a new Dragon Age, respectively.

It's disappointing.

ElektroDragon 03-19-2017 10:19 AM

Can we make the characters look older? I am not cool with playing a captain that looks like a college frat boy!