Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Butt Kicking For Goodness! Baldur's Gate III Announced! (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260933)

DingBat 06-06-2019 05:08 PM

Butt Kicking For Goodness! Baldur's Gate III Announced!

Larian Studios, makers of Divinity: Original Sin 2, have announced a return to the world of Baldur's Gate.

Miniature giant space hamsters hopefully included.

Baldur's Gate II is one of my all time favorite games, so this caught my attention immediately.

Evil Avatar 06-06-2019 05:54 PM

Full Press Release:

Quote:

Larian Studios Announces Baldur’s Gate III

Larian Studios is proud to announce that it is developing and publishing Baldur’s Gate III on PC and Google Stadia. Created in close collaboration with the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, Baldur’s Gate III is based off current D&D mechanics and spells and is the official new chapter in the legendary series.

Baldur’s Gate III will push the boundaries of the RPG genre and offer a rich narrative with unparalleled player freedom, high-stakes decisions, unique companion characters and memorable combat. It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure.

The teaser trailer shows a return of a malevolent presence to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out, corrupting everything that remains in the Forgotten Realms.

Alone you may resist, but together you can overcome. Gather your party.

“Baldur's Gate means so much to so many people. It's a great responsibility but I think we're ready for it,” said Swen Vincke, Creative Director at Larian Studios. “We're all about creating reactive, systemic worlds that respect player agency and having a chance to apply our team's skillset in a universe as rich as Dungeons & Dragons is a lot of fun. We're working very closely with Wizards to bring an unprecedented level of immersion to the realm of Faerun and I can't wait to show the world what our team cooked up."

“Partnering with Larian, a studio that combines a remarkable history of critically-acclaimed titles with a genuine passion for one of the most iconic locations in Dungeons & Dragons, has been a terrific experience,” said Chris Cocks, President of Wizards of the Coast. “We believe fans of the Baldur’s Gate saga – and even those new to the series – will be thrilled to step into this epic story.”

Larian Studios plans to work closely with the global community to bring the coveted series to life, with more news to follow over the course of the year.

PatrickRes9 06-06-2019 11:03 PM

Welp, given how amazing Larian STudios was with Divinity Original Sin 2, I can't say how excited I am for BG3. IF anyone was going to do it, I'd hope it would be Larian. DOS2 was the best cRPG I've played in a decade or more.

thatlukeguy 06-06-2019 11:35 PM

Dammit, DOS2 is still on my to-be-played list. Ah well, I guess right after I finish Witcher 3.

::Cries in Steam-games-list::

Scherge 06-06-2019 11:52 PM

Ew, that was gross - and, no: The cute suction-cup arrow at the end didn't "make it all better" in my opinion.

I just hope they're going to bring "Baldur's Gate" into the new century. I liked the bits I played of Original Sin 1 and 2, but for BG3, I'd expect no less than a "Dragon Age" with a Baldur's Gate setting. And Larian can do it! Their "Divinity II" was a fully-3D action RPG back in the day, and they experimented with several other (unannounced and ultimately canceled) 3rd-person projects after that. With the financial and man power they have these days, they're in a great position to take up the mantle from BioWare!

RAV 06-07-2019 12:11 AM

I can't believe how cool this is. Almost breath-takingly cool. I honestly would have never expected to get excited about a Baldur's Gate 3, considering the turn of most other major franchises these days. If there is anyone remaining that can honor the legacy of Baldur's Gate, it gotta be Larian Studios for real. Certainly not Bioware. I would have just rolled my eyes at this announcement if it were Bioware. There are very few big titles, if any, these days that I consider worth my attention. This here really takes me by surprise. Not all hope is lost it seems. Not quite. Not yet. But we shall see...

Robberbaron 06-07-2019 03:51 AM

That movie looks awesome. wonder what the game will be like tho?

wunshot 06-07-2019 06:34 AM

I thought I clicked on some outtakes from the Mad Queen's decimation of King's Landing.

McWolf 06-07-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2538887)
Ew, that was gross - and, no: The cute suction-cup arrow at the end didn't "make it all better" in my opinion.

I just hope they're going to bring "Baldur's Gate" into the new century. I liked the bits I played of Original Sin 1 and 2, but for BG3, I'd expect no less than a "Dragon Age" with a Baldur's Gate setting. And Larian can do it! Their "Divinity II" was a fully-3D action RPG back in the day, and they experimented with several other (unannounced and ultimately canceled) 3rd-person projects after that. With the financial and man power they have these days, they're in a great position to take up the mantle from BioWare!

I am confused on what you mean by the suction-cup, that's just Larian Studios' thing, like when you boot up the Xbox it shows the Xbox symbol or Ubisoft games have an animation for the swirl.

Nonetheless, I am terribly excited for BG3 from Larian, I think they can do it.

vallor 06-07-2019 05:12 PM

Looks awesome. Baldur's Gate was definitely the crown jewel of RPGs even considering the gold box days.

The thing that KILLS me every time I try to play divinity though is just how slow everyone moves. It's like your characters are trying to move through molasses in January.

You can't get anywhere fast and talking to NPCs 5, 6, 7 8, 9... 24 times get's awful repetitive on the hope they eventually have something new to tell you.

Ayup 06-07-2019 07:41 PM

I mean, I cannot wait but if that is an Illithid, that isn't how they take over a body right?

BeardedSonOfNel 06-07-2019 08:12 PM

I have high hopes.

AlfredT 06-07-2019 08:42 PM

Man and I thought a Yuan-Ti mindseed was gross.

PatrickRes9 06-07-2019 11:27 PM

I have high hopes.

SpectralThundr 06-08-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2538887)

Ugh no, keep it isometric, Divinity II was one of their worst titles imo. Never mind that it was buggy as shit.

Phoenix1985 06-08-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayup (Post 2538948)
I mean, I cannot wait but if that is an Illithid, that isn't how they take over a body right?

It is mentioned elsewhere that this is some kind of altered and accelerated process. Probably what is giving them the boost they need to actually fully invade a surface city rather than just lurk about stealing whoever they can find.

Illithids are known to have plans like that in the works, so it isn't out of the question for them to do something like this.

As a fan of the first two games, and Larian, this has me interested. Hoping we will see something new though, given we already have Pillars of Eternity to scratch that Infinity Engine itch.

RAV 06-09-2019 12:55 AM

I just remembered this old game trailer:

Man, still gets me all pumped up.

Scherge 06-10-2019 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McWolf (Post 2538933)
I am confused on what you mean by the suction-cup, that's just Larian Studios' thing, like when you boot up the Xbox it shows the Xbox symbol or Ubisoft games have an animation for the swirl.

I admit that I actually forgot the arrow was part of Larian's logo. I thought it was simply some kind of trademark quirky thing they add to their games. Swen Vincke is a funny person, and if you think about it, Larian has always infused their - mostly serious - games with humorous elements. Kinda like "Daily Gaming News... With Attitude", just the other way round.

However, in this case, I found the cinematic so grisly that I thought the "just joking" treatment felt off. Also, contrary to all previous Larian games, "Baldur's Gate" is not their own IP. Let's see if the Wizards of the Coast will allow an outsider team to add its own twist to one of their most prestigious series.

As I said, I'll be disappointed if BG3 turns out to be yet another top-down click-fest. I expect something a bit more epic and visually impressive after all these years. And, again: I think Larian is finally in a position to enter the really-big leagues...