Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The new trailer for Wonder Woman is Here! (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243989)

Evil Avatar 03-11-2017 09:20 PM

The new trailer for Wonder Woman is Here!

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3843/3...2f9379d41f.jpg

Click on the Headline for the Trailer.

Evil Avatar 03-11-2017 09:21 PM

Terran 03-11-2017 09:35 PM

This should be a fun action film, with the highly predictable ideological hints of "I am woman, hear me roar!" silliness from progressive Hollywood, which hopefully won't impede the overall fun of it in the end. You're trying too hard, Hollywood, and it ruins your work.

brandonjclark 03-11-2017 09:35 PM

I could watch her all day. All day.

BeardedSonOfNel 03-11-2017 09:39 PM

I have high hopes for this one.

ashikenshin 03-11-2017 09:44 PM

I don't think DC films have been infected too much with the progressive agenda. At least I hope so, as their films have been the most enjoyable comic book films for me. I expect this to be as much fun as the rest. I have yet to be disappointed

Evil Avatar 03-11-2017 10:02 PM

It looks good enough, I just wonder if there is going to be too big of a glut of AAA movies this summer for much to break out. Tons of people will be going to see Alien or Guardians of the Galaxy 2 before this even comes out.

Anemone 03-11-2017 10:20 PM

The Surprising Origin of Wonder Woman

Quote:

Margaret Sanger was a massive influence on the character, too. Despite having to keep their family connection secret to hide Byrne’s true identity, Marston had always been one of Sanger’s biggest fans—in 1937, he even called a press conference in which he announced that a matriarchy was ‘inevitable,’ and declared her the second most influential person in the world. When Wonder Woman debuted in 1941, Marston proclaimed “Frankly, Wonder Woman is psychological propaganda for the new type of woman who should, I believe, rule the world.”

That “new type of woman” was modeled to a large extent off feminist texts from the early 20th century, including Sanger’s book Woman and the New Race, which championed sex-positivity and contraception (and, unfortunately, some arguments from the eugenics movement). According to Jill Lepore, author of the 2014 book The Secret History of Wonder Woman, “The philosophy of Margaret Sanger’s Woman and the New Race would turn out to be the philosophy of Wonder Woman, precisely.”

The Last Amazon

The WWoman character I find pretty boring frankly. She was created as a female Superman analog, by a hardcore leftist who believed women should take over the world.

She's invulnerable to bullets but likes to bounce them off some bracelets. She flies in an invisible jet. Woo. She has some dumb magical rope that makes people tell the truth. How? No idea. It's a confused mishmash of elements, crammed into an Amazonian body, supposedly made from clay by some other woman, Hippolyta or something, whoever she is. Apparently God if she's making people from clay again--another very odd also-ran element to the character. Ostensibly she must be sinless too, therefore.

I grew up watching the tv show, she's entertaining enough, but from a more critical adult perspective, what's really all that special about the character?

Does she even have a weakness? Superman has a weakness, and his weakness actually makes sense. But tying together her bracelets? Huh? How does that make any sense.

She's basically a famous Mary Sues in comicdom. Woo.

Yet again, DC disappoints.

I'm not as down on her as I sound here, it's just thinking back about who the character is, what drives her, I have no idea. She's a fairly blank character. What does she want, can you even give an answer? We know what Superman and Batman and Spiderman want, they all had life goals they were chasing, they all had famous enemies. Can you name a single Wonder Woman bad guy? Who is Wonder Woman's arch-nemesis? Who is her Lex Luthor? Blankout.

Writers have enough trouble writing Superman, a guy who's so damn powerful that theoretically nothing should be able to oppose him. Now add Wonder Woman, who's exactly the same but now with no weakness and no enemies. Everyone just loves WW apparently.

And for no reason she ran around wearing essentially US flag colors. Why. Propaganda is the only reason I can come up with.

http://imgur.com/nDDOuVr.jpg

Chief Smash 03-11-2017 10:51 PM

All that may be true Anenome but I think what people here are hoping for is not a faitful retelling of the comic origins but rather a fun sort of remake of WW. The trailer looks good to me in this regard.

Anemone 03-11-2017 11:17 PM

It used to be that people were versed in the Western Canon of literature, which included the old Greek and Roman writings and gods and characters, among other things like Shakespeare and nationalist stories and characters, and for a very long time popular culture revolved around the classic plays.

Roughly in the 90's, media producers began to realize that this legacy of classical characters was increasingly out-moded, that a new canon needed to be drawn on, the comicbook canon.

And we are reaping that harvest today, and it is rather sweet, I must say. What Marvel and the MCU has done is nothing short of mindblowing, and of course DC wants in on the action. And they have some of the most iconic characters if they could just get their act together. But I don't think they have some central event as iconic as the Infinity Gauntlet to drive towards and bring it all together ultimately. Do they?

I do wonder what will be drawn on once the comic phase runs its course? Will the next gen begin making movies drawn from popular cartoons, about Spongebob and Pokemon? Or from games, although games have proven fairly rough material, but there's not yet been a Zelda movie, and the Mario movie attempts were atrocious, but there is no fundamental reason these properties could not make the leap.

Hell, done right a Zelda movie could be truly amazing.

I hope I get to see that before my end of days.

Any other ideas for what body of characters and stories Hollywood can draw on once the comic era has run its course?

Terran 03-11-2017 11:29 PM

I doubt very much the next popular genre out of Hollywood will be something new and groundbreaking. It will be like fashion, a cyclical return to something that was popular once and is again. Perhaps Westerns. Science Fiction. Musicals.

Something new and unique? Doubt it.

Anemone 03-11-2017 11:40 PM

Except for games, there's no other mass media property out there, apart from TV, that has accessed the young generation now rising into middle-age and starting to take-over the positions of shot-callers in Hollywood, that's typically about when things start changing. Took like 40 years for Hollywood to start making tons of comic movies, maybe we can expect videogame movies starting around 2025 or so.

Isn't Mario more recognizable than Mickey Mouse?

Capitalized correctly in a Pixar-like rendered format (not live action again!), that could turn into stupid, stupid amounts of money, and I dare say with the recent change-ups in Nintendo leadership that they may be far more open to such a thing than before.

And the things that could do to their console sales too. Just look how incredibly, incredibly popular a property like Frozen is, it's completely ridiculous how popular that character is. I've seen photos of Halloween parties that year, it was like 90% Elsa's.

My niece is still drawing Elsa pictures today, a year later.

And it's not like the Nintendo stable of characters doesn't have plenty of potential.

Sega and other franchises can then follow in with more grown-up character stories. I'd love to see a Metal Gear Solid movie, say. Insane at that sounds.

SpectralThundr 03-12-2017 01:03 AM

No Mario is not more recognizable than Mickey Mouse. I do however just love this quote from that article, “...this game is for the adult who still has the character of a child.” -- Mario game designer Shigeru Miyamoto. Yep Shiggy yes it is.

MusicToEat 03-12-2017 07:44 AM

I'm just curious how they're going to explain how Batman and Superman don't recognize her since, judging by the trailer, she's still been around since World War II.

screwyluie 03-12-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2476732)
I could watch her all day. All day.

him, I could watch him all day. I love chris pine and I'm happy to see him again.

Evil Avatar 03-12-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicToEat (Post 2476770)
I'm just curious how they're going to explain how Batman and Superman don't recognize her since, judging by the trailer, she's still been around since World War II.

They explain that in Batman v Superman. She went home after WWII so no one has seen her since and there is only like 1 photo of her during WWII.

HillTribe 03-12-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicToEat (Post 2476770)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilAvatar
They explain that in Batman v Superman. She went home after WWII so no one has seen her since and there is only like 1 photo of her during WWII.

Just FYI, the movie takes place in WW1. I think that gives ample time for people to forget about her.

Evil Avatar 03-12-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HillTribe (Post 2476786)
Just FYI, the movie takes place in WW1. I think that gives ample time for people to forget about her.

Good catch. I totally forgot about that.

Blog 03-12-2017 11:26 AM

I have high hopes for this based on the trailers released so far. DC really needs to nail it, though. If this falls flat, I'm giving up on the DC cinematic universe. If they can't make a solid WW film, I have zero faith in second stringers like Aquaman and Cyborg.

vallor 03-12-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HillTribe (Post 2476786)

In her original lore she came to the "modern world" in WWII, not WWI. I'm not sure why they changed it but maybe they feel like Nazi's are too overdone?

There are rumors of some conspiracy about how the Hollywood left wants people to forget about Nazis so they aren't reminded how bad things were. This makes it easier to slap around the nazi/fascist without people actually being aware of the seriousness of the accusation and taking a second thought of what they're actually accusing people of being. Whatever.

This is one of the few "Must see" movies of the summer for me. Wonder Woman IP, probably the first real "equal in opportunity, not outcome" feminists, Chris Pine, , Gal Gadot, what looks like a great story, and probably some of the best cinematography so far in a DC movie based on the trailer alone.

Gal Gadot hasn't replied to my Facebook friends request and offer of marriage yet. I have my fingers crossed, she's clearly an example of what women should strive for in this day and age. IDF, classy, beautiful.