Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ultraman coming to Netflix (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257328)

Kreigmstr 11-28-2018 05:19 AM

Ultraman coming to Netflix

It's not live action but it still looks pretty good.

actusoul 11-28-2018 08:38 AM

Memories. One of my fondest childhood memories. I wish it was live action like the original but that would be too much to ask for. I have the entire series on DVD.

Chief Smash 11-28-2018 09:05 AM

This hit me with a bit of nostalgia even though my only exposure to Ultraman was Ultraman: Towards the Future for the SNES.

Chimpbot 11-28-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actusoul (Post 2525049)
Memories. One of my fondest childhood memories. I wish it was live action like the original but that would be too much to ask for. I have the entire series on DVD.

It's worth noting that this is based on the new manga, which has more in common with Iron Man and The Guyver than Ultraman.

There aren't any giant monsters in it, Ultraman doesn't grow to gigantic proportions, and the combat is more reminiscent of standard superhero/anime stuff.

TheHulk 11-28-2018 10:16 AM

I’d much rather have the original Speed Racer, Star Blazers, or Johnny Quest. I found the original Ultraman on DVD several years ago too. Still holds up pretty good. The opening is still awesome.

brandonjclark 11-28-2018 11:56 AM

Who the hell is Ultraman? Lol

walstib 11-28-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHulk (Post 2525064)
Id much rather have the original Speed Racer, Star Blazers, or Johnny Quest. I found the original Ultraman on DVD several years ago too. Still holds up pretty good. The opening is still awesome.

All those shows I watched as a child.

Now I feel old. Especially when I watched these not as re-runs (do we still call them re-runs?)

Anyone remember Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot?

Chimpbot 11-28-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2525068)
Who the hell is Ultraman? Lol

He's the main character (through a number of iterations) of the Ultra Series, which has been in production since 1966.

TheHulk 11-28-2018 02:41 PM

Never heard of Johnny Sokko until recently. There’s a sci-fi/horror channel called Comet that shells Johnny Sokko early mornings. Haven’t tried to watch it yet.

Forgot about adding G Force to that early list. That was another afternoon show I watched a lot. And Space Giants maybe?

Evil Avatar 11-28-2018 06:07 PM

I saw one of the live action movies in the theater in Brooklyn when I was a kid. Not sure which one it was. It was the only Ultraman I've ever seen, but I remember it was great when I was like 8.

Arionuq 11-28-2018 08:21 PM

All Star Blazers. Yeah I know it was really called Battleship Yamamoto in Japan but I still remember the dubbed version for the US. I can still hear the theme song for the show in my head. Man o man remake that and Robotech for me? I'll be in Heaven.

TheHulk 11-28-2018 08:24 PM

I saw a dvd in Best Buy of Star Blazers remake the other day. I think I may pick it up.

Kreigmstr 11-28-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2525098)
I saw one of the live action movies in the theater in Brooklyn when I was a kid. Not sure which one it was. It was the only Ultraman I've ever seen, but I remember it was great when I was like 8.

It used to play as a series on either tv 50 or 20 out of Detroit in the afternoon after school. Back in the '70's during elementary school. The shows they played around then were Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, Kimba the White Lion, Speed Racer, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea etc.

actusoul 11-28-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2525062)
It's worth noting that this is based on the new manga, which has more in common with Iron Man and The Guyver than Ultraman.

There aren't any giant monsters in it, Ultraman doesn't grow to gigantic proportions, and the combat is more reminiscent of standard superhero/anime stuff.

Thank you for the information. I will still check it out. I will find it interesting to see a new interpretation. I am used to huge monsters and ultraman becoming huge as well.

actusoul 11-28-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arionuq (Post 2525102)
All Star Blazers. Yeah I know it was really called Battleship Yamamoto in Japan but I still remember the dubbed version for the US. I can still hear the theme song for the show in my head. Man o man remake that and Robotech for me? I'll be in Heaven.

STARBLAZERS!!! ROBOTECH!!! A remake would be great but I always hope they can tell a story that captures the charm of the originals.

Scherge 11-29-2018 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actusoul (Post 2525112)
STARBLAZERS!!! ROBOTECH!!! A remake would be great but I always hope they can tell a story that captures the charm of the originals.

Isn't Robotech the same as Macross? There's a new Macross series every few years (7, Frontier, Delta...). Of course, nothing will ever come close to "Macross Plus". Even the (amazing) toys are constantly remade:

As for old TV, we Germans didn't have it anywhere as good as you kids in the Northern Americas. There were a couple of shows like "Captain Future", but very little in the way of toy-tie-ins - "Masters of the Universe" might have been the big exception, but that too only aired during the big privatization wave in the late 80s/early 90s, if memory serves. After that, of course, we got swamped with everything from the "Power Rangers" to "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends".

Evil Avatar 11-29-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2525118)
Isn't Robotech the same as Macross? There's a new Macross series every few years (7, Frontier, Delta...). Of course, nothing will ever come close to "Macross Plus". Even the (amazing) toys are constantly remade:

I will not pretend to be an expert, but my understanding is that Macross is the Japanese name for the US series we call Robotech. Robotech itself was three different Japanese series that were bundled together by Harmony Gold in the US into one package.

Only the first series got more movies and series, called Macross to this day.

Love the art and the Mecha, but I've never watched much beyond the 3 US series.

Chimpbot 11-29-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2525118)
Isn't Robotech the same as Macross? There's a new Macross series every few years (7, Frontier, Delta...). Of course, nothing will ever come close to "Macross Plus".

Macross is Robotech, but Robotech isn't Macross.

Robotech is the result of Harmony Gold mashing three unrelated anime series (two of which were from the Super Dimension brand) together and treating them as a series. The first - and most well known - part of Robotech was the first, which was the adapted version of Macross. They also hacked together Super Dimension Southern Cross (technically part of the same brand as Super Dimension Fortress Macross, but none of those series were actually related to each other) and Genesis Climber Mospeda as the second and third "generations" of Robotech.

It's sorta like how Voltron is unique to the US; World Events Productions took three unrelated series and hacked them together as Voltron. The most well-known part - Lion Force Voltron - was based on Beast King GoLion. They turned Armored Fleet Dairugger XV into the Vehicle Fleet Voltron, and the third part (Gladiator Voltron) never actually aired. It was supposed to be based on a show called Lightspeed Electroid Albegas, but all they did was release the toy.

Terran 11-29-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreigmstr (Post 2525104)

That was truly terrible. Just...terrible.

I'll watch another episode tomorrow. :D

Chief Smash 11-30-2018 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2525062)

I find this very disappointing. It might very well be good but it doesn't fit with my (admittedly very limited) Ultraman nostalgia.