Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weekend Gamer: What are you playing? (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261350)

Jetherik 06-28-2019 12:07 PM

Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?

Weather is finally becoming hotter than normal in Phoenix. That's the excuse I will use to play games this weekend. What is your excuse? What are you playing?

EL CABONG 06-28-2019 12:28 PM

Raining here in Tennessee. Probably give octopath (pc)another go. I really dug it till it got super grindy. I put it down for awhile because of the grind.

Has anyone else played it? Is it grindy between all the chapters?

LostToys 06-28-2019 12:49 PM

Judgment for me. Fucking love the game so far.

SpectralThundr 06-28-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2540284)
Judgment for me. Fucking love the game so far.

Had to look it up on the youtubles, looks interesting, what's the premise?

vallor 06-28-2019 01:49 PM

Not sure yet. Might do a rando game off the steam summer sale and give it a go.

I played Frostpunk last weekend and it was a ballbuster. I am not up for that this weekend.

LostToys 06-28-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2540286)
Had to look it up on the youtubles, looks interesting, what's the premise?

It's basically Yakuza but with more emphasis on the gameplay being in service to the story, rather than the other way around. So there is less emphasis on combat, as evident by the XP system now rewarding you with a single currency (Yakuza had you earning three different types of XP) and the tech tree is just three levels per thing (unlike the Yakuza games where you had huge, branching tech trees). So you spend more time just wondering around interacting with people and solving their problems. Most of the problems involve doing things like tracking someone, taking photos, analyzing photographs, and sometimes earning additional XP by selecting the proper responses during dialogue.

One of the refreshing things about this game is that it feels really different from the Yakuza games, even though it is in the same city, because the story is much more down to earth as you are no longer dealing with the highest echelons of the Yakuza world. So there is a lot more humor, nuance and cutscene direction in the main story. The Yakuza series has humor in spades, but that was primarily in the form of side-quests. The main mission stories were mainly about buff dudes yelling at each other for a couple of minutes then beating the shit out of each other for a couple more. So the increase in levity and the downplay of stakes is making this game feel very refreshing. I liken it to the change of pace when they introduced Akiyama in Yakuza 4. His play style was completely different from Kiryu's, his goals were much simpler, and he had some genuinely good story and subplot moments with his secretary, Hana.

LostToys 06-28-2019 02:23 PM

Here is a good review from ACG. He does a much better job talking about the game than I ever could:

brandonjclark 06-28-2019 02:48 PM

Finished Bloodstained with only ~55% map completion. I'll work towards 100% this weekend. I can't get enough of that game!

Skunk 06-28-2019 08:56 PM

City of HEROEEESSSS

BeardedSonOfNel 06-28-2019 09:04 PM

Hot and humid here in on the border of MN/WI.
I'll be chillin' with a restart of Red Dead II. I started it when if first released, but got busy, and don't remember much of the story.

The same thing happened to me with the Witcher 3, and I still need to go back and play that.

Inkabodcrane 06-29-2019 12:58 AM

PUBG
MK11

And Xbox Live? Gold? Gamepass? whatever is offering to let you upgrade from Gold to Gamepass Ultimate for the remainder of your current Gold sub for $1. Plus they add a month. My sub was set to expire June 2020, so now I have Gamepass for PC and Xbox until July 2020 for 1 buck. So I'll be playing Gears 5 for free in Sept.

Seemed like an easy decision to try out this gamepass stuff for the next year for $1. I downloaded Void Bastards, Metro Exodus and The Messenger on PC last night. Plan to dig in to Metro when I have some time. Pretty cool to get instant access to a bunch of games for a buck for the next year.

Mad Max RW 06-29-2019 07:55 AM

More of the incredible Extermination Day with Project Brutality 3.0. This is the best game I played all year.

Chimpbot 06-29-2019 12:07 PM

I'll be passing my time with Octopath Traveler, Bloodstained, and a bit of Mario Maker 2. I'm hoping for a quiet weekend, otherwise.

PatrickRes9 06-29-2019 02:09 PM

Bloodstained. 80% done the map.

LostToys 06-30-2019 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2540304)
And Xbox Live? Gold? Gamepass? whatever is offering to let you upgrade from Gold to Gamepass Ultimate for the remainder of your current Gold sub for $1. Plus they add a month. My sub was set to expire June 2020, so now I have Gamepass for PC and Xbox until July 2020 for 1 buck. So I'll be playing Gears 5 for free in Sept.

You could have saved money (I wish I had known this as well) by upgrading your Xbox Live Gold to the three year max, then signing up for Gamepass. The $1.00 trial would apply to the full three years, so if you had pre-paid for three years of Live, you would ultimately be saving $180 ($5.00 a month for 12 months for 3 years).

BeardedSonOfNel 06-30-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2540326)
You could have saved money (I wish I had known this as well) by upgrading your Xbox Live Gold to the three year max, then signing up for Gamepass. The $1.00 trial would apply to the full three years, so if you had pre-paid for three years of Live, you would ultimately be saving $180 ($5.00 a month for 12 months for 3 years).

This is what I did during the week of E3!

Inkabodcrane 06-30-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel (Post 2540327)
This is what I did during the week of E3!

Dang, wish I would've thought of that. 3 years for a buck, that's Gears 5, Halo Infinite, and stuff we don't even know about yet!

PatrickRes9 06-30-2019 03:50 PM

Bloodstained, Forza Horizon 4, and Mario Maker 2. All set for months.

BeardedSonOfNel 06-30-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane (Post 2540331)
Dang, wish I would've thought of that. 3 years for a buck, that's Gears 5, Halo Infinite, and stuff we don't even know about yet!

I'm not that smart either. My brother suggested it.

Evil Avatar 06-30-2019 06:48 PM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4d6479bc_z.jpg

Days Gone! I played so much Days Gone over the weekend it isn't even funny. I think this is probably my favorite game so far this year. Spider-Man was great and the Division 2 is excellent, but I just can't pull myself away from this game.

I barely escaped this giant horde, the biggest one I have taken on in the game to date only to get attacked by a Rager (a giant undead bear). I had to go back like 10 times to kill that horde. No idea what drew them down on my Nero checkpoint, I didn't see any speakers that were still functioning.