Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pokémon Sword and Shield Announced for Nintendo Switch! (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259028)

Evil Avatar 02-27-2019 07:06 AM

Pokémon Sword and Shield Announced for Nintendo Switch!

Quote:

During a Pokémon Direct presentation today, Tsunekazu Ishihara, president and CEO of The Pokémon Company, announced Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, the next installments in the main series of Pokémon role-playing video games. Developed by GAME FREAK inc., Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield will debut exclusively on the Nintendo Switch in late 2019.

The two new titles will take place in the Galar region, an expansive region with diverse environments— an idyllic countryside, contemporary cities, thick forest, and craggy, snow-covered mountains. The people and the Pokémon who live there work together closely to develop the industries in the region. Fans will have the opportunity to visit various Gyms in the Galar region in their quest to become Champion. They will not be alone, since the newly discovered Pokémon they choose to be their first partner will be by their side.

“Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield are the latest exciting adventures in the Pokémon video game journey that began twenty-three years ago on this day,” said Mr. Ishihara. “Since then, Trainers around the world have discovered new Pokémon, engaged in epic battles, and made countless memories along the way. We look forward to continuing this journey by exploring a stunning new region in the Pokémon universe when the games launch later this year on Nintendo Switch.”

The adventure begins in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield when players choose one of three new Pokémon—Grookey, a Grass-type Chimp Pokémon, is mischievous and full of boundless curiosity; Scorunny, Bursting with energy, a Fire-type Rabbit Pokémon, is always running about; and the stealthy Sobble, a Water-type Water Lizard Pokémon, shoots out attacks as it hides itself in water.
ComingSoon.

Evil Avatar 02-27-2019 07:06 AM

Chimpbot 02-27-2019 07:28 AM

Well, this will probably help move a few Switches off of store shelves. I didn't really bother with the Sun/Moon titles, partially because I hated the Hawaiianesque setting. Having a main Pokemon game playable on a TV will be pretty cool, though.

Not overly thrilled about the look of the new starters...but maybe the rabbit will end up looking badass. I usually like the fire-type starters.

Chief Smash 02-27-2019 08:55 AM

Looks pretty good. I'm sure one of my sons will ask for it for Christmas so I'll get a chance to play it on Santa Claus's dime.

Grandpappy 02-27-2019 10:25 AM

I've never played one of the Pokemon games. So I'm curious what's the deal with always releasing two games? I'm assuming there's differences between them, but is there a real choice to make?

EL CABONG 02-27-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandpappy (Post 2531722)
I've never played one of the Pokemon games. So I'm curious what's the deal with always releasing two games? I'm assuming there's differences between them, but is there a real choice to make?

Some Pokemon may only be available in one version. The idea being you may trade with friends who have the other version to catch them all. Story may be slightly different.

EL CABONG 02-27-2019 11:14 AM

More games is good news. The names sword and shield are kinda lame. If they do a 3rd version like they sometimes do
What are they gonna call it Pokemon Helmet?;)

ElektroDragon 02-27-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL CABONG (Post 2531726)
More games is good news. The names sword and shield are kinda lame. If they do a 3rd version like they sometimes do

Sword is cool, but who the hell is gonna buy Shield? Predict 80/20 breakdown of Sword vs Shield. :D

ElektroDragon 02-27-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Smash (Post 2531711)
Looks pretty good. I'm sure one of my sons will ask for it for Christmas so I'll get a chance to play it on Santa Claus's dime.

You mean your sons aren't obsessed with nothing but MINECRAFT 24/7 across all devices? I can hardly get my 7yr old interested in Pokemon for 10 minutes and he wants to go back to Minecraft. Which sucks because I'll play Pokemon with him but can't stand Minecraft. He convinced me to play it with him the other day only by luring me in with a Diamond rarity achievement, ironically the "throw a diamond at another player" one.

Chimpbot 02-27-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL CABONG (Post 2531726)

They haven't done the third version thing (as it used to be done) for the past few generations, now. Platinum, which was the third version with Diamond/Pearl, was actually the last "normal" one. Black/White had direct sequels in Black 2 and White 2 (which was a first for the series), they skipped over it entirely with X/Y, and Sun/Moon had a pair of "third games" with Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

EL CABONG 02-27-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2531729)
They haven't done the third version thing (as it used to be done) for the past few generations, now. Platinum, which was the third version with Diamond/Pearl, was actually the last "normal" one. Black/White had direct sequels in Black 2 and White 2 (which was a first for the series), they skipped over it entirely with X/Y, and Sun/Moon had a pair of "third games" with Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

Omg it was a joke. Also Z was in development but was cancelled according to multiple reports.

Chief Smash 02-27-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2531728)
You mean your sons aren't obsessed with nothing but MINECRAFT 24/7 across all devices? I can hardly get my 7yr old interested in Pokemon for 10 minutes and he wants to go back to Minecraft. Which sucks because I'll play Pokemon with him but can't stand Minecraft. He convinced me to play it with him the other day only by luring me in with a Diamond rarity achievement, ironically the "throw a diamond at another player" one.

They've slowed down on Minecraft lately, mostly due to Fortnite and Battlefront 2 (we just recently got PSN+ which opened up many new possibilities for their BF2 playtime.) But Minecraft (and to a lesser extent Terraria) always comes back into their mix from time to time. They drag me in and I can enjoy myself for a little while by trying to make some more complicated machines and structures. But you have to put in a lot of time in order to get a little fun in that game. Maybe that's just an "adult with responsibilities" perspective.

SpectralThundr 02-27-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2531729)

Talk about milking a fanbase for money. :rolleyes:

blackzc 02-27-2019 07:03 PM

Oh shit dawg!!!

http://i66.tinypic.com/a8th2.jpg

ElektroDragon 02-28-2019 01:24 PM

Oh I love that graphic, blast from the past.

Terran 02-28-2019 01:40 PM

Puke .

PatrickRes9 02-28-2019 01:59 PM

Another Switch game that will sell beyond the 10 million mark. That'll be 6. Compared to Sony's 1.

It's because the Switch has no other gamezzzz!!!!!

shadow763 02-28-2019 06:45 PM

Where did Sony touch you?

I don't see the need for another "Direct" when it was just an extended game trailer.

PatrickRes9 02-28-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2531901)
Where did Sony touch you?

I don't see the need for another "Direct" when it was just an extended game trailer.

Huh? I love Sony. I was just pointing out that the only reason Nintendo has a whole bunch of 10 million+ selling games is because they have no games! So everyone just buys the only 6 games the console has.

hahhhhhhh-hahaha

Chief Smash 03-01-2019 04:03 AM

I've given Pat some grief in some of the political and movie threads before but I have to say it's pretty funny how some people here throw shots at him and then get all bent out of shape when he throws some shots back. It's like "Hey wait a minute! You're not supposed to be an asshole here. Only I am!" :p