Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Marvel's newest Hero has Marvelous Opening Weekend (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259252)

Evil Avatar 03-11-2019 07:03 AM

Marvel's newest Hero has Marvelous Opening Weekend

Captain Marvel broke the 2019 movie slump, breaking the glass ceiling with a $153 million opening weekend.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of March 8th to March 10th, 2019.
  1. Captain Marvel $153.0/$153.0
  2. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World $14.6/$119.6
  3. Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral $12.0/$45.8
  4. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part $3.8/$97.1
  5. Alita: Battle Angel $3.2/$78.3
  6. Green Book $2.4/$80.1
  7. Isn't It Romantic $2.4/$44.1
  8. Fighting with My Family $2.1/$18.6
  9. Greta $2.1/$8.2
  10. Apollo 11 $1.3/$3.7
  11. What Men Want $1.2/$51.9
  12. The Upside $1.0/$104.5
We saw Captain Marvel over the weekend. It was pretty average. The best actor in the movie is a cat. 'nuff said.

Evil Avatar 03-11-2019 07:04 AM

It is worth mentioning that despite the way the media is gushing over Captain Marvel, it isn't really going to be one of Marvel's biggest movies. It will end up being around #5 overall out of the Marvel movies and will probably not even beat Iron Man 3.

Double that now that word is going around that it isn't that great of a film.

excalibur1814 03-11-2019 07:35 AM

I thought that Brie did a GREAT job.

(Will contain slight spoilers!)

First of all, I enjoyed the film, for what it was and nothing more. Was it amazing? No. Was it better than Wonder Woman/Black Panther? Yes. Were there boring sections? Of course.

The effects were, as usual, outstanding. Near flawless. The storyline isn't anything that dramatic, or new to people of Sci-Fi, but remains quite grounded in the fact that the main star, Carol Danvers, has lost her identity and desperately needs to find who she is, or was.

Brie, despite the trailers providing a character with limited emotional range (Due to the above point), is charming, witty, cute, strong, a force to be reckoned with as well as providing a emotional range that is the opposite of being limited. There's a scene where the tears appear in her eyes and that takes a lot for an actor.

The cat is fantastic, as are the supporting cast. There's a twist, which, to me, was blatantly obvious after watching the very first trailer (It's what I do, after all... write things).

Overall it was a good film that I enjoyed. It wasn't fantastic, or ground breaking, but what it did, it did with purpose. Just to note one thing: Before the film arrived into cinemas there was a lot of rubbish about feminism and this being a female agenda film... Stop. Just stop it. It's all stupidity. If a young girl, throughout her life can stand up after being knocked down, then I'm ALL for that. If a woman falls from climbing a rope, is then ridiculed and told that she'll never be this, or that, but still stands tall, I'm once again, all for that. Women are strong. They endure, they face challenges that men simply will never have to face. I witnessed NO agenda in this movie, other than a person standing up for herself after being knocked down.

That... is more than impressive. It's what women, as well as men, should do with the support of everyone around them or, even better, on their own through gritted teeth, clenched fists and strength of determination. I'd watch Captain Marvel again, a few times, as there's moments of magic, of pain, of struggle and identity. But, as I said at the start, it's not the best film but it's also not as boring as Wonder Woman or as involving as Alita: Battle Angel. (IMO)

P.s. Oh my... Brie Larson is so unbelievably attractive. I just... I'm amazed.

RAV 03-11-2019 07:37 AM

Would make for a nice communist propaganda poster.

vallor 03-11-2019 08:25 AM

Pretty good numbers. Put into context (domestic opening and total domestic box offic):
  • "Avengers: Infinity War" - $257.7 (total $678.8)
  • "Marvel's The Avengers" - $207.4 (total $623.4)
  • "Black Panther" - $202 (total $700.1)
  • "Avengers: Age of Ultron" - $191.3 (total $459)
  • "Captain America: Civil War" - $179.1 (total $408.1)
  • "Iron Man 3" - $174.1 (total $409)
  • "Captain Marvel" - $153
  • "Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2" - $146.5 (total $389.8)
  • "Iron Man 2" - $128.1 (total $312.4)
  • "Thor: Ragnorak" - $122.7 (total $315.1)

It is currently at $455m including international box office so it's definitely a hit and likely to cross $1 billion unless the 2nd week+ box office drops off the cliff.

This will be one of the first Marvel movies to compete against another Tent Pole Marvel movie within 6 weeks (Endgame releases April 26th) where as films like Black Panther had 10 weeks of solo time in theaters before Infinity War came out. It will be interesting to see how that impacts the ticket sales. For Black Panther it caused a brief up spike but it could also cannibalize the tail since they will have already seen the character and may not care much about the origin unless Marvel goes out of their way to make her character too obtuse in Endgame that it makes the origin story necessary viewing.

Even Ant-Man and The Wasp had more time between Infinity War than Captain Marvel will have between it and Endgame.

Evil Avatar 03-11-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAV (Post 2532634)
Would make for a nice communist propaganda poster.

In Soviet Russia...

Evil Avatar 03-11-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2532649)
Pretty good numbers. Put into context (domestic opening and total domestic box offic):

That chart makes it even more dismal than my comments. 7th lowest Marvel film? Ouch.

(Though I'm shocked to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 that far down the list, I thought those films did better than that.)

We know the film will do fine and Disney will make money, my point is that the movie isn't some massive stunning blockbuster the media are making it out to be. If you look online, you would think that Captain Marvel trounced everything else Marvel has made up to date. That just isn't the case. It did good and had a decent weekend. With almost nothing up against it next weekend, it will probably do good again next weekend. But, it's not breaking any records here.

Chimpbot 03-11-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2532651)
That chart makes it even more dismal than my comments. 7th lowest Marvel film? Ouch.

(Though I'm shocked to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 that far down the list, I thought those films did better than that.)

You're just desperate to spin this negatively, aren't you?

Counting the two unreleased MCU movies for this year, there are 23 movies in the MCU series to date. You can certainly call it the 7th lowest...but it also surpassed 14 other movies (not counting the two unreleased movies). When you look at it within the context of the entire series, it did perfectly fine.

SpectralThundr 03-11-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2532650)
In Soviet Russia...

In Cultural Marxist Zionist USA you mean.:rolleyes:

Wolfgang 03-11-2019 09:03 AM

Saw Captain Marvel this weekend. It was not a man hating movie that Brie was making it out to be. She certainly didn't appear to harm the box office with her comments, but I can't imagine it helped.

The movie was "good enough" -- far from my favorite MCU movie, but serviceable. It plays like a buddy cop movie with Captain Marvel and Fury being the buddies.

The story, effects, etc... were fine. The she gets back up after getting knocked down was shown, but the emotional "tug" at the end with that didn't pay off IMHO.

I do think Fury and the Skrulls saved the movie. Brie was my least favorite part of the movie. She was stiff, robotic and I felt her lines just didn't land. Sam Jackson, Ben Mikkelson (sp) and even the other female pilot were better in their roles. They tried to make Brie fun, snarky and sarcastic -- I don't think she pulled it off. I think the actress that plays Wasp would have made a better Captain Marvel for example (IMHO).

Hopefully Brie does better in End Game. I will of course see a Captain Marvel 2 because I have seen every MCU movie, but I wasn't very impressed with Brie's acting in this. I think they need a more fun actor for the role.

excalibur1814 03-11-2019 09:12 AM

The thing about her character is that she doesn't even know who she is/was. Hopefully the director went with that instead of some crazy acting thing.

Evil Avatar 03-11-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang (Post 2532654)

Hopefully Brie does better in End Game. I will of course see a Captain Marvel 2 because I have seen every MCU movie, but I wasn't very impressed with Brie's acting in this. I think they need a more fun actor for the role.

I thought she did fine, it was just that the plot was kinda recycled. I liked that she smiled once in a while, it was a nice change of pace from what we have been seeing.

I just don't think they gave her a storyline with anything at stake. Did anyone not know she would kick their alien butts back to the stone age? There has to be something at stake for these characters for it to be decent.

Infinity War made Thanos into a sympathetic character. That's some damn fine writing. Winter Soldier made Bucky a Hero again and turned the entire MCU upside down with the whole "Hail Hydra!" thing. Anyone could be a secret Hydra agent (a plot line they seem to have sadly dropped).

What did Captain Marvel have to lose? Her new buddies the Skrulls who we just met and who 10 minutes earlier were trying to kill everyone? Not really the same impact.

I think Nick Fury was the best part of the movie and the best parts of that were his interactions with the cat. Though I'm kinda miffed that how he lost his eye is now "canon" in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Seems like a letdown.

Booda 03-11-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2532658)
I think Nick Fury was the best part of the movie and the best parts of that were his interactions with the cat. Though I'm kinda miffed that how he lost his eye is now "canon" in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Seems like a letdown.

Cat scratch it out?

https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiQyD...RcGY/giphy.gif

excalibur1814 03-11-2019 09:54 AM

The main thing for me was for Carol to find her identity. Yeah, sure, she also had to beat the bad guys but that's what 'she' needed. To find herself. Paper thin but still her main objective which she, more or less, found at the end.

Antdude 03-11-2019 10:04 AM

I have just one question: Do I need to see this one in order to be ready for End Game or can I just wait 'til it's a rental?

PacerDawn 03-11-2019 10:18 AM

We are going to try to go next weekend, mainly because all the good seats were sold out this opening weekend. I've heard it's average, but I'll still go see it. An average MCU movie is still head and shoulders above all the other tripe that gets released these days.

I'm sure a lot of the money this film made was from advanced ticket sales, seeing as how a lot of theaters now have assigned seating so if you want a good seat you have to buy in advance. The drop between this weekend and next weekend will be telling.

Chimpbot 03-11-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antdude (Post 2532663)
I have just one question: Do I need to see this one in order to be ready for End Game or can I just wait 'til it's a rental?

It's about as skippable as most of the solo films, really. It would certainly give you more context and information about the MCU version of Captain Marvel, but I'm sure there will be plenty of stuff going on in Endgame that doesn't directly involve her.

If you've missed some of the solo movies and were still able to enjoy the big crossovers, I'd say you'd be okay without it. Of course, I'm not one to skip 'em if I can help it; I've gone this far, so I may as well see it through at this point. I don't always catch them all in theaters, but I'll watch them one way or another.

blackzc 03-11-2019 10:59 AM

This movie didn't make anywhere near 455 Million. The theaters were empty.

They are making shit up. They have been doing this for years with several movies. Watch..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antdude (Post 2532663)

This one is more of a catch it on a streaming site at 360p, then turn it off after 5 mins.

excalibur1814 03-11-2019 11:23 AM

Umm... Over here in Ellesmere Port the cinema was packed. Had to sit to the left in the imax showing. :(

Booda 03-11-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacerDawn (Post 2532664)
An average MCU movie is still head and shoulders above all the other tripe that gets released these days.

That may very well be the most depressing thing ever stated about the film industry.