Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   IT crawls out of the sewer to the top of the Weekend Boxoffice Chart (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248260)

Evil Avatar 09-11-2017 08:50 AM

IT crawls out of the sewer to the top of the Weekend Boxoffice Chart

The Stephen King adaptation from New Line and Warner Bros. shattered records over the weekend earning $117.2 million, "It" is now the largest ever opening for a horror movie and the largest September opening of all time.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of September 8th to September 10th, 2017.
  1. It $123.1/$123.1
  2. Home Again $9.0/$9.0
  3. The Hitman's Bodyguard $4.8/$64.8
  4. Annabelle: Creation $4.0/$96.2
  5. Wind River $3.2/$25.0
  6. Leap! $2.5/$15.8
  7. Spider-Man: Homecoming $2.0/$327.7
  8. Dunkirk $1.8/$183.0
  9. Logan Lucky $1.8/$25.2
  10. The Emoji Movie $1.0/$82.5
  11. Despicable Me 3 $.909/$259.9
  12. Girls Trip $.802/$113.3

We went to It this weekend, it is a really decent movie, but not really scary. It was more Stranger Things than Nightmare on Elm Street.

Terran 09-11-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2492453)
It was more Stranger Things than Nightmare on Elm Street.[/i]

Both of those are great, too.

I've read that this is the best Stephen King-based film since Shawshank. Sounds like it's a rare gem in a sea of crappy films for months and months now.

Chimpbot 09-11-2017 09:06 AM

It's really quite good. I got to see it a day early because I work for the guy and we held a special advanced screening.

I'm glad to see a horror film do this well, mainly because it's one of my favorite genres and this will hopefully encourage studios to support horror films again. I'm sick of demonic possession and found-footage films; the success of IT had better spur them toward new directions.

LostToys 09-11-2017 09:17 AM

No under-age orgy, no watch! /s

In all seriousness glad to hear that this is a good film. Been a pretty bad year for novel adaptations.

Mad Max RW 09-11-2017 10:12 AM

Does it have the same cliched loud noise accompanying jump scares that has been used in almost every single horror movie of the last 2 decades?

hurstshifter 09-11-2017 10:30 AM

Everyone I've spoken with that has negatively reviewed It (there aren't too many) has made the same comment; "It wasn't scary enough." I think their expectations were messed up a bit here. As a big fan of King's works, including It, I would classify that story as more of a dark fantasy than horror. Sure, it can be scary, but the story is more about the journey to find and destroy It in order to put a final end to the killings that have been going on for generations. Everyone thinks of King as "that horror guy" but a large portion of his works aren't really horror at all. I'd definitely consider him more of a fantasy/suspense writer.

ashikenshin 09-11-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2492464)
Does it have the same cliched loud noise accompanying jump scares that has been used in almost every single horror movie of the last 2 decades?

Yes, but apparently it's still good in spite of the modern scary movie cliches.

MadMurdock_0311 09-11-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max RW (Post 2492464)

Seriously. This is the main reason that I hate modern horror movies.

I'm glad to hear that IT is decent; after the trailers and images I saw online, I was sure it would bomb.

I loved the TV series from the 90's, at least I did until a recent rewatch. The only thing from that series that holds up, is Tim Curry.

TheHulk 09-11-2017 06:37 PM

Is this a closed story? I've heard there may be a second one.

LostToys 09-11-2017 07:43 PM

The movie ends while they are still teenagers, while the book goes into their lives as adults. So the sequel will finish off the story.

actusoul 09-11-2017 10:29 PM

I saw IT last night. GREAT movie. Well worth paying to see it. The child actors were excellent and the clown was scary/creepy. Well definitely watch it again if someone I know wants to see it.

MADxMrMike 09-12-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurstshifter (Post 2492467)
Everyone I've spoken with that has negatively reviewed It (there aren't too many) has made the same comment; "It wasn't scary enough." I think their expectations were messed up a bit here. As a big fan of King's works, including It, I would classify that story as more of a dark fantasy than horror. Sure, it can be scary, but the story is more about the journey to find and destroy It in order to put a final end to the killings that have been going on for generations. Everyone thinks of King as "that horror guy" but a large portion of his works aren't really horror at all. I'd definitely consider him more of a fantasy/suspense writer.

This. I enjoyed it.

Sammael 09-14-2017 05:57 AM

I really liked the effort they put in to keep the real life bullying aspect in the movie.

The kid actors were pretty good, Georgie was awesome, and that soundtrack... If you have google play unlimited, look it up. The soundtrack is pretty amazing and definitely plays a key role in setting the mood.