Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Metroid: Samus Returns Reviews "Metroid: Samus Returns is the franchise in top form" (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248301)

Emabulator 09-12-2017 02:16 PM

Metroid: Samus Returns Reviews "Metroid: Samus Returns is the franchise in top form"

Game Informer - 9.75/10

Quote:

Samus Returns has enough unique content that it feels like a worthy sequel. MercurySteamís first outing with the franchise is also different enough from the recent fan remake AM2R, so fans shouldnít hesitate to pick up this rare gem. This might be Samusí first 2D adventure in more than a dozen years, but itís a great reminder of why we fell in love with the franchise in the first place.
GameSpot - 9/10

Quote:

As the first 2D Metroid game in over a decade, Samus Returns faces unfairly high expectations. Mercury Steam's involvement, a team known to play fast and loose with classic game traditions, was also a potential red flag for some. In hindsight, there was never anything to worry about, and a lot to look forward to. Samus Returns is both a return to form and a look to the potential future for 2D Metroid games, where combat plays a bigger role and exploration involves clever thinking rather than persistent guessing. Fans get more than they bargained (and hoped) for, and everyone else gets an excellent 2D action game with one of the most captivating and capable video game heroes around.
IGN - 8.5/10

Quote:

While itís been marketed as a remake of Metroid II: The Return of Samus for Game Boy, Metroid: Samus Returns is more of a much-needed reboot of the 2D Metroid games we know and love. Itís a safe, modern take on Super Metroid, one of the greatest games of all time. Aside from some repetitive boss fights and hand-cramping controls, itís nearly everything I could ask for as a fan of old-school Metroids.
Destructoid - 8/10

Quote:

Maybe the next 2D Metroid will take more chances, but Returns is far better than I expected it to be. The faux magic system, while shallow, adds some panache to the action, as do the combat animations that work within the confines of the engine.
Digital Trends - 4/5

Quote:

Nostalgia guides much what gets made in video game industry right now, with reboots, remakes, and remasters dominating the release calendar in lieu of riskier, new titles. Metroid: Samus Returns is far more than a simple rehash. Rather, it takes an underappreciated classic, whose design influence is perhaps felt more widely today than ever before, and enhances it for new audiences. The core of the gameplay remains largely untouched, but what new additions there are enrich the overall experience. The first classic 2D-style Metroid in 13 years (since the GBA Metroid: Zero Mission, also directed by Sakamoto), Metroid: Samus Returns is the franchise in top form, and makes an excellent case for the old masters.

Emabulator 09-12-2017 02:18 PM

Emabulator 09-12-2017 02:23 PM

Amazon Prime members can still get a physical copy of Metroid: Samus Returns for $31.99, while it remains a pre-order.

LostToys 09-12-2017 02:26 PM

Too bad this is on the 3DS. If this was on the Switch I would pick it up right away, but I can't really get hot and bothered about a 3DS title anymore. So much aliasing, low resolution textures, and hand cramps!

92miata 09-12-2017 04:36 PM

Awesome. Can't wait to pick this up Friday. Game looks incredible. Easy purchase!

ashikenshin 09-12-2017 04:42 PM

Nice, good thing I have a new 3ds to play this.

SpectralThundr 09-12-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92miata (Post 2492611)
Awesome. Can't wait to pick this up Friday. Game looks incredible. Easy purchase!

1987 called, they want their gameplay and visuals back

MadMurdock_0311 09-12-2017 06:30 PM

The last Metroid I played was Prime, on the GameCube. That game was a blast!

Can't convince myself to purchase a 3DS, though, so I don't think I'll ever play this one.

blackzc 09-12-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2492614)

For once i agree with you. There is a limit on what i will put up with. Maybe if the DS was easy to hold, but its just too much of a hassle.

Does anyone know what role Mercury Steam played in developing this game? I didn't like that castlevania games at all. These reviews are suspect.

Drake_NS 09-12-2017 06:51 PM

I remember thinking Zero Mission sounded like a dumb idea, but it was a pretty good homage to the original while adding plenty of new stuff to make it unique. Glad to hear that Samus Returns is pulling that off as well.

blackzc 09-12-2017 06:57 PM

Zero Mission was so good. 2nd favorite behind MP1.

92miata 09-12-2017 08:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks! I missed the darn call. I would have discussed how nice it would have been to play Metroid on my pc with a 1080 TI but I couldn't get anybody to understand. Also asked if it will work on my xbox one or the xbox xxx I have on pre-order. I will call them back. I doubt if it will work on my ps4 pro, Nvidia shield, Nvidia shield tablet, PS Vita either.

So I guess I will be lucky not worrying about the graphics and just playing a game that is getting top reviews from every site and everybody. I am a true gamer that has every current system because money is not an issue here.

I bet if I bought you a copy you would take it right?

Emabulator 09-12-2017 11:31 PM

I broke down and ordered it. I loved Super Metroid on SNES. My soon to be cramped up hands are going to hate this game.

Juan 09-13-2017 01:40 AM

Quote:

So once again you ignore widespread critical approval and yet assert your opinion as truth. All this purely because you dislike the company who published the title. You are mentally ill.

Rommel 09-13-2017 03:05 AM

Quick question: WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE THAT?!

shadow763 09-13-2017 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2492617)
For once i agree with you. There is a limit on what i will put up with. Maybe if the DS was easy to hold, but its just too much of a hassle.

Does anyone know what role Mercury Steam played in developing this game? I didn't like that castlevania games at all. These reviews are suspect.

If you want to read a less than glowing review.

ashikenshin 09-13-2017 05:28 AM

It does look like shit. Just because it's a 3ds doesn't mean you have to make it 3d.

Chimpbot 09-13-2017 05:58 AM

Quote:

https://i.imgur.com/5jpv5yIl.png
1987 (the game was released in '86...so, close enough)

https://i.imgur.com/RQDnQmcl.jpg
2017(on portable hardware released back in 2011)

Sure, it's not the most visually-impressive game on the market...but if it's fun, it's fun.

Terran 09-13-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2492637)
Quick question: WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE THAT?!

Quick Answer: HARDWARE LIMITATIONS!

Rommel 09-13-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2492661)
Quick Answer: HARDWARE LIMITATIONS!

No. It looks worse than any SNES game. It looks worse than the majority of early 3D Saturn games. This was intentionally made ugly through art design and I must know who thought it was a good idea.