Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nintendo Switch Sales Near 20 Million, Down Slightly on Last Year (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254990)

Emabulator 07-31-2018 03:36 PM

Nintendo Switch Sales Near 20 Million, Down Slightly on Last Year

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:

Nintendo shifted another 1.88m Switch consoles between April and June this year, bringing the console's lifetime sales total up to 19.6m.

This figure is down slightly on the same quarter last year, when it sold 1.97m over the same three months, albeit soon after the console's launch and during a period when Nintendo released Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Arms.

Switch is still selling well, then, and roughly equivalent to the PlayStation 4 at the same point in its lifecycle (while only having had one holiday sales period when PS4 had had two). And, importantly, game sales more than doubled over the same period last year - where Nintendo makes a lot of its money.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze sold 1.4m copies since May, while Mario Tennis Aces is already up to 1.38m copies in its first couple of weeks on sale. Combined sales of the two Nintendo Labo sets totaled 1.39m units.

On 3DS, Nintendo sold another 360k handhelds and 2.95m games - both figures unsurprisingly down year-on-year in this, the 3DS' eighth year of release.

Meanwhile, Nintendo's re-release of the NES mini microconsole shifted another 1.26m units. Kerching!

EL CABONG 07-31-2018 06:16 PM

I am in the market for one. Just haven't seen it on sale. Or any bundles with a game I want.

A price drop or a new bundle would probably help.

BeardedSonOfNel 07-31-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL CABONG (Post 2518272)
I am in the market for one. Just haven't seen it on sale. Or any bundles with a game I want.

A price drop or a new bundle would probably help.

I'm in the same boat. I'd prefer a price drop.

Azzy 07-31-2018 11:29 PM

Same here. It'll be my first console since the 360 if they play their cards right.

LostToys 08-01-2018 03:13 AM

If you have not bought one now, I would wait another year just to make sure that they do not release a 2.0 revision with a better screen, battery life, or some other enhancements that will invariably make everyone who bough the console at launch go out and by another.

Or wait for a Black Friday sale where you can get a bundled game or two for the price of the console itself.

Wizzkidd 08-01-2018 03:30 AM

Yeah I wish I waited for a revision. I like it fine, but I haven't really got into a game on it since Zelda, and I played that on WiiU for the most part.

I probably own 20-30 games for it, I keep buying them hoping to get hooked on a Switch game, but most games I buy are played better elsewhere. I still play the 3DS more because of games like Metroid Samus Returns and all the Mario/Zelda games.

excalibur1814 08-01-2018 03:46 AM

I bought one, from eBay, just to have a quick play but quickly sold as I wasn't willing to spend x amount of cash on the games. They're a bit expensive so I'll wait even longer and buy once the games are dirt cheap.

Scherge 08-01-2018 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostToys (Post 2518288)
If you have not bought one now, I would wait another year just to make sure that they do not release a 2.0 revision with a better screen, battery life, or some other enhancements that will invariably make everyone who bough the console at launch go out and by another.

That's exactly my train of thought right now, although I have to admit that the idea of finally playing "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker" is mighty tempting. Then again, I just know that I'd play it for an hour, never to return - like with so many of my games... :(

shadow763 08-01-2018 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2518294)
That's exactly my train of thought right now, although I have to admit that the idea of finally playing "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker" is mighty tempting. Then again, I just know that I'd play it for an hour, never to return - like with so many of my games... :(

This.

The must haves are almost nil. I have Captain Toad on the Wii U and that is exactly what happened.

karaliusbronius 08-01-2018 08:48 AM

It doesn't come with a full controller, you have to buy it separately for $70. I'm waiting for a hardware revision anyways and some new games that aren't regurtitated from the Wii U.

EL CABONG 08-01-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2518294)

Yes captain toad is one of the games I am interested in. But it looks like a rental.

EL CABONG 08-01-2018 10:16 AM

Any switch owners having warp issues?

EGO 08-01-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow763 (Post 2518296)
This.

The must haves are almost nil. I have Captain Toad on the Wii U and that is exactly what happened.

This is the classic Nintendo cycle;
1. Everyone scoffs. "Everyone" being hardcore gamers.
2. Everyone buys one. "Everyone" being every other gamer, nostalgia miners and some hardcore gamers.
3. Everyone who got one plays the 3-4 Nintendo exclusives.
4. Everyone who has one gets bored, starts buying random games that just don't measure up or having the "stickiness" of Nintendo 1st party. Or they buy no new games, at all.
5. Almost everyone lets it sit and collect dust, until the next Nintendo spits out another exclusive.
6. Dust again for years, until the "new machine" comes out. Return to #1.

With that said, the Switch is the most fun I've had with a Nintendo platform, since the SNES. The selection is not nearly as good as the SNES days, but I don't have that kind of SNES time any more. A lot of the indies I wanted to play on my PC are now portable and better suited (Slain, Thumper, Dead Cells, Celeste, etc.)

PatrickRes9 08-01-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGO (Post 2518321)
2. Everyone buys one. "Everyone" being every other gamer, nostalgia miners and some hardcore gamers.
4. Everyone who has one gets bored, starts buying random games that just don't measure up or having the "stickiness" of Nintendo 1st party. Or they buy no new games, at all.
5. Almost everyone lets it sit and collect dust, until the next Nintendo spits out another exclusive.

With that said, the Switch is the most fun I've had with a Nintendo platform, since the SNES. The selection is not nearly as good as the SNES days, but I don't have that kind of SNES time any more. A lot of the indies I wanted to play on my PC are now portable and better suited (Slain, Thumper, Dead Cells, Celeste, etc.)

Yah, I really like the selection of exclusives on the Switch. From Bayonetta stuff, Zelda obviously, Octopath Traveler, Mario + Rabbids.

(btw Captain Toad got some mentions. It's a fun little puzzle game. I really enjoyed 100% the game, and ended out easily worth the buy. )

But I think they need to really drop some announcements soon. The system needs more exclusives. Some games to put it over the top into the "must buy" category. Where the hell is Metroid Prime 4 news anyway?

Chimpbot 08-01-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karaliusbronius (Post 2518309)
It doesn't come with a full controller, you have to buy it separately for $70.

When you attach the two joy-cons to the grip that comes packaged with the console, they function like a normal controller. It's a little on the small side, but definitely more than serviceable for anyone with hands that aren't gargantuan.

I have - and prefer - the Pro controller...but my hands are on the larger side of the scale and I never had any issues using the joy-cons with the supplied grip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL CABONG (Post 2518318)
Any switch owners having warp issues?

I haven't had any warping issues and I use it docked almost exclusively. I do, however, undock it and lay it flat after extended periods of playing a game...more as a precaution than anything else.

Emabulator 08-01-2018 02:10 PM

I'd like to see Nintendo offer a one piece version without the dock.

SpectralThundr 08-01-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGO (Post 2518321)

Who's this everyone? I haven't owned a Nintendo branded product since the N64 for 4 player Goldeneye and the old WWF games also 4 player. And really? I bought ziltch other for that system. The cutesy cutesy kiddie shit just doesn't interest me.

EL CABONG 08-02-2018 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emabulator (Post 2518331)
I'd like to see Nintendo offer a one piece version without the dock.

I was like WTF is the point of that. But after a bit of googling rumors of just that are floating around. Data miners found some evidence of such a thing.

They also claim an 8 gig s of ram switch. Instead of the current 4 gigs of ram. Considering the switchs paid net service is supposed to be out in a month or so that makes some sense if they launch a new more ram switch along their gaming service.

Or it could just be rumors and BS.

shadow763 08-02-2018 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpbot (Post 2518328)
I have - and prefer - the Pro controller...but my hands are on the larger side of the scale and I never had any issues using the joy-cons with the supplied grip.

The joy-cons are in fact usable, preferable...no.

Misanthropist 08-02-2018 10:35 AM

the switch home brew scene is expanding rapidly, and if nintendo does do a 2.0 , they will most certainly patch that exploit.
price reduction would be nice but the software lineup is still lacking , maybe one day i will find one for cheap, but ps4 and PC have so many games.