Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nintendo Ups Switch Production To 2 Million A Month (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248918)

BeardedSonOfNel 10-07-2017 11:43 AM

Nintendo Ups Switch Production To 2 Million A Month

Via GameSpot

Quote:

It's no secret that the Nintendo Switch is in high demand. With an infamous history of missing the mark when it comes to supply meeting demand, Switch production is looking more optimistic as Nintendo has reportedly increased production to a massive two million units a month.

DigiTimes reports the increase is meant to finally help meet the high demand for the console in Asia as well as meet Nintendo's target production numbers. In just 2017, the company is aiming to reach 20 million units.

Terran 10-07-2017 12:07 PM

This thing has fail written all over....oh, wait. Never mind. :D

BillyWilliamton 10-07-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2494756)
This thing has fail written all over....oh, wait. Never mind. :D

Around here it just sits on the shelf. Especially since you cant make ez cash reselling them anymore. I'm sure Japan sales are propping it up.

Phoenix1985 10-07-2017 01:02 PM

There are two games I'm looking to play on it at the moment, Octopath Traveller and Mario. Metroid in the future, obviously.

blackzc 10-07-2017 01:28 PM

I wish the WiiU had taken off, i really miss the two screen thing, it was alot of fun. I hope it comes back at some point.

But the switch is going to be cranking out solid games left and right here very soon.

Emabulator 10-07-2017 01:35 PM

I was happy to see Amazon has them in stock. I want to get one but PC upgrades (MB/CPU/RAM) and PS4 Pro are ahead of it in line.

blackzc 10-07-2017 01:37 PM

20 million in 2017? Dam. No console has ever sold, or even produced that many.

It looks like this thing is a safe bet at this point. Now come the dozens of first and third party IP's that were on the DS. YES!

BillyWilliamton 10-07-2017 03:21 PM

Searching online looks like they've barely reached 5.5 mil sold. Interesting that theyre throwing around 20 mil units like they can barely keep up with sales...

blackzc 10-07-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyWilliamton (Post 2494788)
Searching online looks like they've barely reached 5.5 mil sold. Interesting that theyre throwing around 20 mil units like they can barely keep up with sales...

Yeah. That does sound pretty high a number.

PacerDawn 10-07-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyWilliamton (Post 2494788)

I would think that the reason it's only 5.5 mil sold is because they couldn't keep up with sales. Had there actually been enough units to buy, I'm sure that 5.5 would have been higher.

BeardedSonOfNel 10-07-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacerDawn (Post 2494793)
I would think that the reason it's only 5.5 mil sold is because they couldn't keep up with sales. Had there actually been enough units to buy, I'm sure that 5.5 would have been higher.

Too bad for them. They missed out on what would have been my impulse buy months ago. I probably won't pick one of for another year or so now.

SpectralThundr 10-07-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacerDawn (Post 2494793)

Oh they could have. Manufacturing costs money though.

vallor 10-07-2017 08:34 PM

Christmas is around the corner. I can see them pushing 2m more out for that time frame. 15 more million this calendar year though? Maybe sell in but certainly not sell through.

TBH I haven't touched mine except to redeem my Breath of the Wild expansion pass code, a process that took nearly 20 minutes because the redemption process is so buried in the frickin UI it was like Where's Waldo. All this despite my eagerness to grab a system when I did find one locally and sit down and get some quality time in.

Too busy I guess and too many other games to play. The curse of Nintendo consoles in my house, not necessarily their fault but I got to have my priorities. Same thing happened with the Wii. I got one decent game (mad world), played for a day or two then... that was it.

PatrickRes9 10-08-2017 07:22 AM

Square's Switch exclusive JRPG, Octopath Traveller, looks really good. I think it's the title I'm most anticipating aside from Xenoblade 2. But Mario Odyssey will push a lot of consoles for the holiday season.

The Switch is outselling the PS4 just about every week in Japan (this past week by a pretty massive margin. Almost triple). It was the top selling console in the US in August as well.

Last week's sales numbers in Japan:

https://i.imgur.com/hJFzKfk.jpg

You can see they sold nearly triple last week with the first column, and are catching up lifetime in Japan last column. The Switch is outselling the other consoles in the US as well.

They're getting 3rd party support in games like FIFA, WWE, DOOM, Stardew Valley, and the coming Wolfenstien II game. It does seem like the console is picking up steam when it comes to 3rd party, but it could flatline.

Verdict is still out, but for a console that just launched in March, it's doing fine. It has a lot of quality games already considering it's only 7 months old. Stardew Valley just dropped on it, and that game is a perfect portable game.

After they drop Mario Odyssey, they need more top-tier 1st party games. If they supply enough of them, even the crankiest Nintendo hater won't be able to ignore their library forever, unless out of stubbornness.

PC is still king, though, IMO. Anyone play Divinity Original Sin 2? That game is ******* great.

Phoenix1985 10-08-2017 09:57 AM

I played the demo for Octopath and aside from the VA sounding stiff (it always does when translated from Japanese) the game itself is amazing (and you can switch to Japanese audio so it doesn't really matter).

Immediate buy once it comes out.

ElektroDragon 10-08-2017 10:56 AM

Now if only they'd up the Classic production to those levels I could actually buy them.

Hellstorm 10-08-2017 04:15 PM

http://i.imgur.com/4xawFhN.gif

blackzc 10-08-2017 08:51 PM

YES!!!!

HAHAHA. Its that's time again!

SpectralThundr 10-08-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellstorm (Post 2494857)

You'd hope so with the 257 dollars it cost to produce a unit.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/5/151...-cost-estimate

Chimpbot 10-09-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2494874)
You'd hope so with the 257 dollars it cost to produce a unit.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/5/151...-cost-estimate

Imagine that, it's not dramatically cheap than, say...the PS4 at $381. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Xbox One was - which was estimated to be $471...but, that's because of things like the Kinect and the external power supply. When you remove that factor, it cost around $100 less to build than the other two major consoles (prior to their refreshes, of course). In other words, it's not a huge difference.

You're acting like the other two manufacturers don't build these things as cheaply as possible in order to maximize profits. The fact that Nintendo is only making less than $42 in profit per Switch sold (remember, the MSRP is not what retailers would have purchased these for; it's what they sell them for) is actually pretty surprising.

I can tell you think you dropped some sort of major truth bomb on us...but considering the MSRP of the thing was $299, everyone assumed the build cost came in somewhere under $299. The fact that it costs less than $299 to build (in terms of straight components) isn't surprising in the least.