Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Eurogamer: One month on, Destiny 2's end-game needs tuning (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248998)

Emabulator 10-11-2017 03:49 PM

Eurogamer: One month on, Destiny 2's end-game needs tuning

Tom Phillips from Eurogamer has posted an opinion piece on Destiny 2's end-game.

Quote:

After a month of play, the Destiny community is picking apart Destiny 2's endgame - with mixed results.

There are two major bugbears at present - the game's focus on tokens as a means of ranking up and collecting loot, and the shift away from endgame multiplayer activities factoring in and increasing your power level.

Destiny 2's reputation rank-up system is based around tokens. Every vendor in the game, from the gunsmith to the raid loot seller, requires you plug in tokens gained from completing activities in order to make progress.

Loot still drops during activities, but in seemingly smaller amounts. For reliable drops, you need to head back to the specific vendor, trade in your tokens for reputation and hope you rank up.

It's frustrating there's no way of knowing exactly when you are eligible to rank up while playing Crucible, or when zooming around one of the game's planets nabbing the tokens for that destination's own vendor.

But perhaps more of an issue is how this constant focus on tokens changes the game's feel. It was summed up well last night in a tweet from top Destiny streamer Gothalion, one of the game's most visible community members:

Destiny is a game about shooting aliens with friends until your foes' heads pop off and engrams fountain out all over the floor. The rush of hoovering up your hard-earned gains is dulled when you find you've earned... just more tokens.

Why are people upset now? Well, the token system has come under increased scrutiny this week with yesterday's return of competitive multiplayer event Iron Banner. Previously, Iron Banner featured bounties and ranks and guaranteed items for hitting certain targets, as well as items to buy once you had got there.

Now, like everything else in Destiny 2, Iron Banner simply uses tokens. Players are upset that this special part of the game now feels exactly like the regular Crucible instead, and I agree.

Terran 10-11-2017 04:27 PM

Shut up and grind, whiners. lol...

Emabulator 10-11-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2495174)
Shut up and grind, whiners. lol...

It's a great co-op shooter, and a lousy MMO.

ElektroDragon 10-11-2017 05:09 PM

So I still don't get it... instead of epic engrams dropping you now just get tokens?? What the hell was wrong with the old system in Destiny 1?

SpectralThundr 10-11-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2495178)
So I still don't get it... instead of epic engrams dropping you now just get tokens?? What the hell was wrong with the old system in Destiny 1?

They still drop. The token system actually gives a player better chances of legendary items. Leave it to the SJW's at Eurogamer to whine about a factor that makes the game less grindy feeling than Destiny 1.

Evil Avatar 10-11-2017 06:57 PM

Instead of crying about tokens, how about addressing the fact that only a few days of gameplay and there is basically nothing left to do. That is the big elephant in The room here.

SpectralThundr 10-11-2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2495193)
Instead of crying about tokens, how about addressing the fact that only a few days of gameplay and there is basically nothing left to do. That is the big elephant in The room here.

And yet there's more to do than Destiny 1.

Rommel 10-12-2017 12:26 AM

The most important thing in an MMO is the amount of content, not the systems utilized. Turn-ins, tokens, alternate currencies and grinding are MMO staples. If people are complaining about systems and methods, it's because there isn't enough content to keep them distracted.

karaliusbronius 10-12-2017 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralThundr (Post 2495195)
And yet there's more to do than Destiny 1.

Definitely, I agree! Once you finish the story there are plenty of other missions to do, places to explore and armor/guns to get! I loved Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 is amazing because I don't have that super grindy feeling that Destiny 1 made me feel.

Mojopin 10-12-2017 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2495193)

For the solo player it can feel that way after 280. But if you can muster up 3 other friends then PVP can be your "endgame", muster up 5 others and hit up the raid. It still can be fun if you are getting through it at a good tic. Then looking for the chests after. You gotta play with others though to get the most out of it.

PacerDawn 10-12-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

There are two major bugbears at present - the game's focus on tokens as a means of ranking up and collecting loot, and the shift away from endgame multiplayer activities factoring in and increasing your power level.
That is ridiculous. That is basically whining that anyone can level up now, without having to do the high-end raids. It is literally bitching and moaning because hard-core gamers can't lord it over casual players. All I can say is: Sucks to be them.

I actually LIKE that. When I hit 300 in Destiny 1, I was annoyed because I couldn't advance any further without getting into the 6 person raids which was never going to happen since those were not auto-matched. In Destiny 2, I don't have to worry about that, it's awesome.

Not that it matters as increasing your gear power doesn't really do anything anyway. They apparently have caps on things so that the same weapon at 265 and at 289 does the exact same damage. This is to thought to be to prevent people from out-leveling events and strikes and walking through them solo.

But then, why level up at all? Apparently the caps are lifted in the main raid and higher level guns will do more damage, so that is the only reason to level up. Otherwise, if you are stuck at power 265, don't worry. Getting higher power really doesn't do anything for you. It's just another goal.

The purpose of Destiny is to play and have fun playing I'm still having fun, so I'm still playing.

One day I would like hit the main raid or at least do a Nightfall, but unfortunately that requires forming a Fireteam and I'm not very good at doing that. There really needs to be better matchmaking.

Also, this guy apparently doesn't know the game very well.

Quote:

It's frustrating there's no way of knowing exactly when you are eligible to rank up while playing Crucible, or when zooming around one of the game's planets nabbing the tokens for that destination's own vendor.
There is a way of knowing: Vendor icons will highlight on the map when you have enough tokens to level up at them. Also, planets have a number beside them letting you know how many vendors you need to visit on that planet, so you can check this from the planet map easily.

ElektroDragon 10-12-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacerDawn (Post 2495238)
That is ridiculous. That is basically whining that anyone can level up now, without having to do the high-end raids. It is literally bitching and moaning because hard-core gamers can't lord it over casual players. All I can say is: Sucks to be them.

I actually LIKE that. When I hit 300 in Destiny 1, I was annoyed because I couldn't advance any further without getting into the 6 person raids which was never going to happen since those were not auto-matched. In Destiny 2, I don't have to worry about that, it's awesome.

Oh that sounds great. I didn't like the complexity and difficulty of the raid system anyway. I don't like video games that are more grueling and stressful than my day job.