Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BeardedSonOfNel and Evil Avatar Are Creating A Love Child With A C-64 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258385)

BeardedSonOfNel 01-27-2019 08:34 AM

BeardedSonOfNel and Evil Avatar Are Creating A Love Child With A C-64

I'm happy to announce that Evil and I are making a retro text adventure. The name in the screen shot above is a place holder and not the name of the game.

Yesterday I began prototyping the game engine. Evil will be the true hero here as he has graciously taken on the task of helping me write the story (or maybe the whole story :p )

The game will be written in BASIC, so multiple platforms could be supported in the future. The initial target platform is the Commodore 64. The game will run on real hardware as well as the C-64 Mini, and emulators for Windows, OS X, Linux, and tablets/phones.

I plan on doing a weekly development blog here so the EvAv community can watch our progress.

Evil Avatar 01-27-2019 08:39 AM

Time for a flashlight dance!

brandonjclark 01-27-2019 10:04 AM

I don't have a C64 but would totally spin up a emu to play this.

Very cool, guys.

PacerDawn 01-27-2019 10:33 AM

These are fun. Here's one I wrote in BASIC back in 2008. It's a full text adventure in about 400 lines (around 2k file size).

https://pastebin.com/K79RnBuC

Here's another one I wrote in a Western setting with a map, combat, and everything. It's much larger to say the least:

https://pastebin.com/anR6qg9k

Metal Jesus 01-27-2019 10:45 AM

Very cool!

BeardedSonOfNel 01-27-2019 11:13 AM

Nice Pacer!

ElektroDragon 01-27-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2529335)
I don't have a C64 but would totally spin up a emu to play this.

Very cool, guys.

It's BASIC and a text adventure at that, it's an interpreted language, not a compiled one. Ya don't need a C-64. :D

I wish you the best of luck. Your biggest hurdles will be laziness, apathy, and self-doubt. I kid you not. Not everyone can be our own SorcerorXIII aka Tom Happ who made millions with a completely self written indie game, Axiom Verge. We both went to the same college, same dorm, same major. Difference between me and him is he probably had none of the above, and I had a motherload. :D

VideoMike101 01-27-2019 02:19 PM

RISC architecture is going to change everything.

RAV 01-27-2019 07:03 PM

Cool idea, guys! Will be fun to follow.

Evil Avatar 01-27-2019 07:57 PM

I still have my C64, with one key replaced from a Vic 20. Man, that was a chore to do, they aren't meant to be taken apart like that.

I've got two of the bigger disc drives and two of the smaller drives. It's been a while since I spun it up, but I've got a nice quality standard TV here somewhere that will work perfect.

I need to get one of those MicroSD drives that pretend to be the floppy drive. That will be handy here.

BeardedSonOfNel 01-27-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2529344)
I need to get one of those MicroSD drives that pretend to be the floppy drive. That will be handy here.

Those are very handy!

ElektroDragon 01-27-2019 09:03 PM

Shame on all the C64 owners that never bought an Amiga. :p

BeardedSonOfNel 01-28-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2529347)
Shame on all the C64 owners that never bought an Amiga. :p

I wanted one, but couldn't afford it at the time. By the time I had the cash to upgrade I had seen the light... the Amiga was doomed here in the US by IBM, and Apple had the schools.

Commodore had some real missed opportunities back in the day.

EGO 01-28-2019 12:17 PM

Have fun getting your Bandersnatch on!

You're already off to a "fine start", what with the plethora of rem statements, all 1 line number away from each other. :D

Evil Avatar 01-28-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGO (Post 2529382)

You're already off to a "fine start", what with the plethora of rem statements, all 1 line number away from each other. :D

A plethora? How many is a plethora?

Rommel 01-28-2019 09:46 PM

I look forward to undermining your efforts and flaming your results. Good luck!

Evil Avatar 01-29-2019 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2529417)
I look forward to undermining your efforts and flaming your results. Good luck!

I look forward to trying to figure out where to find room to hook up my old C-64. While an emulator is fine in the beginning, the fun will be seeing it run on a real C-64 at some point.

I would love to find someone to copy the final game onto a cart. That would be sweet.

Evil Avatar 01-29-2019 04:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks! While Bearded is doing all the heavy lifting, I did some Basic programming back in the old days, I enjoy the idea of picking up a few old C-64 books and trying it out.

I might even still have a few of my old C-64 programming books lying around in the top of my closet.

I will have to pull out the whole system and post a few pictures this week. Iíve got a great TV to hook it up to. It isnít the official C-64 monitor, I used that thing for like 20 years till it finally died. Iíve still got the old CRT that I was using in the Xbox 1 days to play Halo.

BeardedSonOfNel 01-29-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2529429)
I look forward to trying to figure out where to find room to hook up my old C-64. While an emulator is fine in the beginning, the fun will be seeing it run on a real C-64 at some point.

I would love to find someone to copy the final game onto a cart. That would be sweet.

A cart would be cool. I'll have to see if I can keep this at or under 16K.

BeardedSonOfNel 01-29-2019 06:00 AM

Quote:

A plethora is a good start, but I'm going for full ass load :D