Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Glass Takes the Top Spot for the 3rd Week in a Row (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258530)

Evil Avatar 02-04-2019 06:51 AM

Glass Takes the Top Spot for the 3rd Week in a Row

Miss Bala was a Miss-fire at the box office as Glass took the #1 spot for the third weekend in a row on a slow Superbowl weekend.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of February 1st to February 3rd, 2019.
  1. Glass $9.5/$88.6
  2. The Upside $8.8/$75.5
  3. Miss Bala $6.7/$6.7
  4. Aquaman $4.7/$323.5
  5. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse $4.4/$175.2
  6. Green Book $4.3/$55.8
  7. The Kid Who Would be King $4.2/$13.1
  8. A Dog's Way Home $3.5/$35.9
  9. Escape Room $2.9/$52.0
  10. They Shall Not Grow Old $2.4/$10.7
  11. Mary Poppins Returns $1.9/$168.2
  12. Bumblebee $1.9/$124.2

vallor 02-04-2019 11:19 AM

I finally got around to watching Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse this weekend.

Wow, what a great movie. Good story (surprising because it was Bendis story and I've found he is more often than not a hack) great acting, and fantastic visual style that mixes surprising well between the background and the characters.

I saw it twice and it was a treat both times, the first time was on a not so great screen and the second time was on a better screen where I noticed a bunch of extra visual details.

It may be the movie that triggers me to get a 4k HDR upgrade on my home theater when it hits home video.

Terran 02-04-2019 01:25 PM

Glass wins again, but that says more about the anemic box office and shitty stable of films than the quality of Glass as a film. I'd give it a rental. Literally nothing about it requires a big screen or theater sound. Nothing.

vallor 02-04-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2529992)
Glass wins again, but that says more about the anemic box office and shitty stable of films than the quality of Glass as a film. I'd give it a rental. Literally nothing about it requires a big screen or theater sound. Nothing.

Agreed. I saw Glass in the theater but it is not a big screen film unless you've been waiting to see the return of "Security" (Bruce Willis character) since Unbreakable 20 years ago.

If you have then this is a great movie and a fine addition to the series. It is also a great M. Night movie with everything you'd expect from one of his movies when he's on his "A" game.

Chief Smash 02-05-2019 04:44 AM

The wife and I saw Glass with her brother and his wife. No it wasn't "big screen necessary" but we needed a night out without the kids for a change. We all enjoyed it though....
spoiler

all of them dying at the end, especially Dunn, really pissed me off. They killed them off before they really clashed fully. It felt like they all had to die just so M. Night could have his twist ending, not because it necessarily made for good writing

/spoiler
Other than that, it was worth the matinee price tickets we had.

Evil Avatar 02-05-2019 08:16 AM

LEGO Movie 2 this weekend! We are going, but we are going to a 6 PM show so it won't be all empty like when we normally go in the morning.

Azzy 02-06-2019 11:30 PM

I liked Glass. It's probably my third favorite of the three but I thought it felt quite a bit like Unbreakable, in that when it was over I hadn't gotten enough of anything. That said, I'd have taken more of all of it.
Well, anything except all of the shoulder tensing, neck straining beast scenes. Those got old pretty quick.

GinRummy 02-08-2019 11:35 AM

Saw my first reviews saying that "Glass is half full" which I was expecting before now. Took too long for the obvious joke.

Terran 02-08-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 2530224)
I liked Glass. It's probably my third favorite of the three

Helluva endorsement there!

'Of the three, it's last. But...I liked it!' ;)