Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hacked NES Classic Edition More Than Doubles The Console's Game Count (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242385)

BeardedSonOfNel 01-10-2017 06:18 AM

Hacked NES Classic Edition More Than Doubles The Console's Game Count

https://s29.postimg.org/vx9whnehj/undefined.png

Click the headline to watch the video.

Quote:

By plugging the console into a computer using a USB cable — putting it into what is essentially a developer or production mode — and uploading ROMs to the console, it can reasonably run more games than the initial 30 it comes with.

How many more games? One YouTube user managed to load just over 50 games onto his console, including box art. The result is an NES Classic Edition with 84 games in total, nicely organized and still workable as a normal console. Even features like save states still function.
Via Business Insider

BeardedSonOfNel 01-10-2017 06:18 AM

Evil Avatar 01-10-2017 07:08 AM

HaHa! You have to love hackers. Wait till someone figures out how to add some memory to this bad boy.

BeardedSonOfNel 01-10-2017 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2468573)
HaHa! You have to love hackers. Wait till someone figures out how to add some memory to this bad boy.

That's when I buy :)

Rommel 01-10-2017 07:19 AM

Still no thanks. The unit design is terrible. With the console buttons being necessary for menu functions, the controller wires being too short for a human being's lap to knee distance and, of course, the locked nature of a emulator device makes the $60 better spent on my usual weekend allotment of hookers and blow. If someone wants to copy that OS design, however, that sounds nice.

Evil Avatar 01-10-2017 07:22 AM

I think were they dropped the ball is not making it a real SNES that can play the old carts. There are still millions of those carts floating around.

JazGalaxy 01-10-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2468577)
Still no thanks. The unit design is terrible. With the console buttons being necessary for menu functions, the controller wires being too short for a human being's lap to knee distance and, of course, the locked nature of a emulator device makes the $60 better spent on my usual weekend allotment of hookers and blow. If someone wants to copy that OS design, however, that sounds nice.

Making the console necessary for menu functions is the only reasonable way to preserve the integrity of the controller and the console design. Part of the reason why the cords ARE so short is because you need to be next to the console in order to use it to switch games. I'm sure cutting down on the cost of the unit is also an issue.

Personally, I think it's a great bit of tech.

whining about it limitations seems stupid since there are literally dozens if not hundreds of other ways to get what people whine about the NES Mini not doing. They're basically just complaining to complain.

PatrickRes9 01-10-2017 08:31 AM

Yah, the short cord in combination with using the reset button is a clear indicator that the console is supposed to be next to you. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is debatable, but it's amazing that people can't comprehend this, cite both "problems" separately, and fail to put them together. When you move the console next to you, both problems go away and are replaced by the new singular "problem" of having to put the console away when you're done with it. More surprisingly is that Rommel (AKA Jimquisition) couldn't figure that out either.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/rf..._CONSOLE_3.jpg

Something like that ^

Scherge 01-10-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2468582)
Personally, I think it's a great bit of tech.

I agree. The nostalgia value is through the roof. I bought one (pre-ordered it and still got it almost a month late) and deposited it at my parents' home. "Donkey Kong" is the only game my father was ever interested in, and we played through that and DK jr., on a TV, with (somewhat) original hardware, which already made the purchase worthwhile. Yeah, yeah, the arcade version had an additional level, but at least we were able to easily complete the game this way.

Its a great little box that fully supports the Wii Pro controller (which definitely feels better than the standard one), and there are no load times, of course. Sure, an extension cord is needed to get some distance from the TV, and the missing manuals are a bummer, but we had a great time just booting up and checking out old games that we only knew from the demo kiosks of the mid-80s.

Of course, a (hackable) SNES Mini would be even better... :rolleyes:

screwyluie 01-10-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 (Post 2468583)
Yah, the short cord in combination with using the reset button is a clear indicator that the console is supposed to be next to you. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is debatable, but it's amazing that people can't comprehend this, cite both "problems" separately, and fail to put them together. When you move the console next to you, both problems go away and are replaced by the new singular "problem" of having to put the console away when you're done with it. More surprisingly is that Rommel (AKA Jimquisition) couldn't figure that out either.

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/rf..._CONSOLE_3.jpg

Something like that ^

what's more surprising is that you just lumped two real problems into one and still think they aren't problems.

so riddle me this, you have a room with a tv in it that's not for kids, flatscreen, hung on the wall on the opposite side of the room... you know like most people. Now you have the choice of running A/V cables across the room so the poorly designed console can sit on the coffee table in front of you and the controller cords reach, or you can get some bar stools and sit ridiculously close to your tv instead of on the couch.

one problem or two doesn't matter how you count it, it's still a fucking poor design. There is absolutely no reason you can't use the controller for everything, there is no excuse to have to hit the buttons on the console except to turn it on and off.

PatrickRes9 01-10-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwyluie (Post 2468588)
what's more surprising is that you just lumped two real problems into one and still think they aren't problems.

so riddle me this, you have a room with a tv in it that's not for kids, flatscreen, hung on the wall on the opposite side of the room... you know like most people. Now you have the choice of running A/V cables across the room so the poorly designed console can sit on the coffee table in front of you and the controller cords reach, or you can get some bar stools and sit ridiculously close to your tv instead of on the couch.

one problem or two doesn't matter how you count it, it's still a fucking poor design. There is absolutely no reason you can't use the controller for everything, there is no excuse to have to hit the buttons on the console except to turn it on and off.

I'm not saying it can't be a problem to stretch the A/V cables. If you have kids and what not. That's not what im saying. I'm saying citing having to use the reset button and the short controller are not separate issues. They're related in that the console was designed to be next to you and not necessarily on a tv stand, and both issues CAN be eliminated if you move console closer rather than using a controller extension. Now clearly, moving the console closer could pose a separate problem for some people. Namely if they have kids running around as you suggested. But moving the console closer may not be much of a problem at all for others, and could mitigate the issue of using the reset button and/or short controller cable.

As to why Nintendo didn't bake a reset button into the controller or make the controller wireless, who knows. Authenticity maybe? You did have to walk up to the console to switch games in the past. Maybe they're trying to hold on to as much of the nostalgia as possible. I'm not saying its a great move, Im just saying I don't know what the reasoning was. But being that you use the reset button and you have a short controller, it's clear they designed the console to be next to you, and not necessarily sitting on a TV stand. That's all I'm saying. I didn't actually once ever say it was a great design choice.

Quote:

And also, once you lump the "problems" into one other "problem" they aren't problems because it is no longer plural. There is one singular problem. And the reason I won't fully call it a problem is because it wont be a problem for some people to stretch the A/V out. Unlike trying to put the console on a tv stand and suffering both a 3 ft cord or using a controller extender and having to use the reset button, stretching the a/v cables may not be a problem for a lot of people (especially if they don't have kids). Do you think Rommel has kids? (the example person I used in the previous post) I hope not. But luckily, I doubt that he does. So maybe stretching the A/V console out to the coffee table won't be such a problem for some after all. Though I won't argue and am not arguing that it's not the best of design choices and I have no idea why Nintendo made the choice to design the console to be close to you.

Scherge 01-10-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Now you have the choice of running A/V cables across the room so the poorly designed console can sit on the coffee table in front of you and the controller cords reach, or you can get some bar stools and sit ridiculously close to your tv instead of on the couch.

I'm not at all sure whether or not this is a serious discussion, but if it is: I assume neither of you has the device, because
1) It's clearly designed to stand near the TV (there's no power cord, and both the USB and HDMI cables aren't that long), but
2) a simple extension cord for the controller solves the problem.

I got a cheap 6-foot cable, but I'm sure there are longer ones. It feels perfect, as the wired controller actually adds to the nostalgia in my opinion. Also, the Wii Pro controller that I mentioned before actually has the same short connection cable, since it was supposed to be plugged into a Wii remote, so you'll want an extension anyway.

I certainly agree that using those short cords for the new controller was a shoddy design choice by Nintendo, but it really doesn't matter much in the long (hah!) run, because third-party solutions are readily available. One big advantage of the crisp pixel art is that you can easily read the screen from any distance, so there's no need to sit right in front of the TV. And, just for the record: I personally find the implementation of the Reset button much less annoying than the missing manuals.

To sum it up: You want nostalgia, you get the NES Mini. You want convenience, you turn to piracy... or simply don't bother with 30-year-old games.

PatrickRes9 01-10-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scherge (Post 2468593)
I'm not at all sure whether or not this is a serious discussion, but if it is: I assume neither of you has the device, because
1) It's clearly designed to stand near the TV (there's no power cord, and both the USB and HDMI cables aren't that long), but

I got a cheap 6-foot cable, but I'm sure there are longer ones. It feels perfect, as the wired controller actually adds to the nostalgia in my opinion. Also, the Wii Pro controller that I mentioned before actually has the same short connection cable, since it was supposed to be plugged into a Wii remote, so you'll want an extension anyway.

I certainly agree that using those short cords for the new controller was a shoddy design choice by Nintendo, but it really doesn't matter much in the long (hah!) run, because third-party solutions are readily available. One big advantage of the crisp pixel art is that you can easily read the screen from any distance, so there's no need to sit right in front of the TV. And, just for the record: I personally find the implementation of the Reset button much less annoying than the missing manuals.

To sum it up: You want nostalgia, you get the NES Mini. You want convenience, you turn to piracy... or simply don't bother with 30-year-old games.

I don't actually have the mini scherge. I assumed based on the design and reports that the controllers were so short AND you needed to hit the reset button to swap games that the console was meant to be next to you. (ie long A/V cables to extend out the console to the coffee table for example) I've seen other old classic consoles designed that way.

Sounds like I was wrong? If I was, now I am completely baffled by some of the design choices.

LostToys 01-10-2017 01:38 PM

To be honest, having short cables was a bad design, even if you think of needing to press the RESET button to access a new game. Did we not swap cartridges in the NES because we had to get up and manually change them? No. Even modern consoles which use wireless controllers still require physical disc swaps if you are still into buying physical.

Even if you discount the short controller cables, HDMI was never really designed to be a connection that allowed for the movement of the device it is connected to. So I would worry about the HDMI cable getting snagged, falling out during gameplay, or just breaking in general over time.

Pumped'Up 01-10-2017 02:06 PM

just spend $60 and get retropie

Anemone 01-10-2017 02:32 PM

I don't understand, the whole point of this device is to not have to hack anything. I already have a NES emulator and every single rom ever created in the NES era and can play anything at will any time, and could easily load those onto a Raspberry pie I have laying around to approximate this device, if so desired.

But I bought a NES Classic to give away as a cool nostalgia piece.

screwyluie 01-10-2017 06:15 PM

Quote:

1: that IS the problem, no one sits right next to the TV anymore because you know, HD and all.
2: If you bought a car with nothing but those doughnut spares for tires would you complain? or would you just be like "well if you buy a set of full sized tires it solves the problem". of course you wouldn't because we buy products and expect them to be designed in a somewhat sane manner so they function for most people.

Quote:

And also, once you lump the "problems" into one other "problem" they aren't problems because it is no longer plural.
oh come on you'll have to do better than splitting hairs

Quote:

They're related in that the console was designed to be next to you and not necessarily on a tv stand, and both issues CAN be eliminated if you move console closer rather than using a controller extension
name one other consumer device made in the last.... 10 years? that requires to you string cables across your living room? even consoles have wireless controllers for this very reason, and the charging cords are like 9 feet long. Do you have a 9 foot hdmi cable on your tv? I doubt it.

This is a poor fucking design. period. I don't give a flying fuck how you pretend to justify it, it's terrible. Is the nes mini terrible? by no means, but the idea that people would huddle around their LCD like we did with an old tube is absolutely absurd.

PatrickRes9 01-10-2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screwyluie (Post 2468667)

This is a poor fucking design. period. I don't give a flying fuck how you pretend to justify it, it's terrible.

Have a beer, dude. I've tried to justify nothing. I thought (mistakenly, which Scherge cleared up) that the A/V cables WOULD be long to make the console a lap or table console. This HAS been a design used before with old retro consoles, (short controller, long A/V and power) and being that the console is so small, the controller cord so short, and the need to use the reset button in existence, I thought this was also the case with the mini, that it was designed to sit on a coffee table for example. That design would negate potentially the problem of the short controller and reset problem IF you're able to stretch the console to your coffee table. Clearly you can't as I've recently learned from those who own the mini. It's not designed to reach your coffee table, it's meant to sit by your TV. I then responded that I am even more baffled by Nintendo's design choice, then. I never said that long A/V cables OR any other design feature of the mini was or would be a good choice. If I couldn't stretch the console to my coffee table (it had to be by the TV) and I got stuck with a 3ft controller, I would be pretty aggravated with it.

JazGalaxy 01-10-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Well, I do have the console and we played it all christmas long. I used a longer usb cable and set the unit on the coffee table. I worked perfectly. There was never an issue with controller or unit length.

Rommel 01-10-2017 11:28 PM

Wow, I've been busy lately so I haven't been able to read replies to my posts as regularly as usual. When did you all get so stupid? Have you really just been suckling on the teat of my knowledge (Brain nipple) for so long that when I reduce my post count it becomes Lord of the Flies around here? Sweet baby Jesus, I wonder what it is like in those Totally Off Topic threads I never post in--OH GOD!

Okay, let's handle some of team idiocy's comments so that they may once again know the joy of the bounty I provide: A dose of sanity in this zoo.

Quote:

Making the console necessary for menu functions is the only reasonable way to preserve the integrity of the controller and the console design. Part of the reason why the cords ARE so short is because you need to be next to the console in order to use it to switch games.

You're an idiot, Jaz. I mean, you always were a idiot but lately it seems you've been showing the signs of a degenerative brain condition, such as early onset dementia or horse-kick syndrome. That's the result of being kicked in the head by a horse on a regular basis you horse kicked headcase. Start + Hold Select. Start + Menu Option. There, controller integrity maintained and OS solved by a simple software action. Now I don't need to push the reset button that, on any other electronic in any 2017 home, doesn't require the user to touch the machine.
Quote:

I'm sure cutting down on the cost of the unit is also an issue.

Yeah, that's far more likely and users have every right to not appreciate the cost saving's impact on the experience.
Quote:

whining about it limitations seems stupid since there are literally dozens if not hundreds of other ways to get what people whine about the NES Mini not doing. They're basically just complaining to complain.

Who is whining, you imbecile? I replied to Evil that I still wouldn't desire to own it. Do you think that every post on a hobbyist website is whining unless it is gung-ho enthusiastic?

Quote:

Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is debatable, but it's amazing that people can't comprehend this, cite both "problems" separately, and fail to put them together.

They are separate problems, specifically because any solution to one does not resolve the other. The third-party controller solutions to the controller's cord on the market today? They don't provide a reset button. A user will still need the unit besides them, even with a wireless controller. If the user wants a controller with a reset button, he or she needs a Wii Pro controller--abandoning the nostalgia of using the original NES design. The two problems are unique, individual and both worthy of inclusion to anyone's opinion of the NES Classic Atari Flashback All-In-One Joystick (Available at the impulse lane at Target) for $60.

Quote:

More surprisingly is that Rommel (AKA Jimquisition) couldn't figure that out either.

Why do you think I am Jim Sterling? Also: Do you think that picture paints a good image of the NES Classic or are you being facetious? If the former... ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND THAT LOOKS ATROCIOUS!

If you like this thing and its lack of a proper included power adapter, fine--knock yourselves out. Excuse me while I spend my money on something else. Like hookers... and blow.