Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Weekend Gamer: What are you playing? (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265614)

Jetherik 02-28-2020 08:25 PM

Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?

Another weekend with great weather to ignore as we play games. What are you playing?

BeardedSonOfNel 02-28-2020 09:07 PM

I'm my usual retro self, and I've been playing the heck out of the Sega Genesis, and Sega CD.

blackzc 02-29-2020 02:06 AM

Gran Turismo.

For a console racer they really have made room for people that want to be semi serious about racing. You get paired up with similar driver and safety ratings as well as similar qualifying times. Trolls and griefers are pretty limited due to a smart car ghosting and penalty scheme.

The people playing online for the most part are really trying, trying not to hit you, letting you pass and at least attempting good etiquette. Mind punts happen all the time, which are hilarious. Lot of psychology going on.

PD finally got online figured out, and there is now lots to do in single player. Its a hell of a game

Major Dan 02-29-2020 09:14 AM

I have fallen back into Fallout 76. Man I like it. It relaxes me like some comforting blanket. Lol.

Terran 02-29-2020 09:20 AM

D3 died to me years ago.
PoE died to me more recently.

Need a new aRPG to dump some gaming time into. Haven't found one yet that scratches that itch.

Evil Avatar 02-29-2020 11:36 AM

Heading out to see Invisible Man on Sunday and I'll probably play Zombie Army 4 on Monday. I re-installed Elder Scrolls Online, so I do hope to put in an hour or two on that one as well.

thatlukeguy 02-29-2020 12:54 PM

Picked up a cheap copy of Skyrim LE (Oldrim basically) so I could install and try out the Enderal total conversion mod. So far I've been blown away by the quality and amount of gaming goodness it offers. Makes me really hope Skyblivion and the New Vegas mod for FO4 finish sooner than later.

Inkabodcrane 02-29-2020 07:07 PM

Still on the same, Modern Warfare, Warcraft 3 Reforged, Slay the Spire. Got all my new PC parts in, so tomorrow I'll be assembling my new beast!

colonel 32dll 02-29-2020 08:05 PM

I've been annoying people in Watch_Dogs 2 by "hacking" into their game and shutting down power, blowing their shit up - fun stuff like that.

Ghostblaze 02-29-2020 08:10 PM

Metro Exodus
mafia 3
Metal Gear HD collection for PS3

Meeks 02-29-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2554479)
D3 died to me years ago.

Need a new aRPG to dump some gaming time into. Haven't found one yet that scratches that itch.

Ditto. I've heard pretty good things about Wolcen and have been considering picking it up (I've also heard not so good things about it). Still on the fence, though.

brandonjclark 03-01-2020 06:28 AM

Deep Rock Galactic has a free weekend and is 50% off right now on Steam.

It's pretty fun with friends.

Evil Avatar 03-01-2020 05:39 PM

I think the Nioh 2 test is running this weekend too, though it will be over before I get a chance to play since I'm heading out in a few minutes.

BeardedSonOfNel 03-01-2020 08:43 PM

Playing around on the C-64 today. Diving back into code after a long hiatus. I'm about to head off to bed, but before I do I think I'll get in a couple of games of Jumpman and Frogger.

My original Frogger Cart for the C-64 that I bought in 1983. Damn it's dirty. I need to clean that up.

https://i.postimg.cc/t70fbgL0/frogger-cart.jpg

Evil Avatar 03-01-2020 10:22 PM

Back from the Invisible Man. When the critics loved it, I knew it must be crap. And despite that, I went to see it anyway.

I was right the first time, it’s complete crap. I guess there is a twist ending that might have surprised a six-year-old, but since they hammer you with that ending like 6 times leading up to it, I don’t know how anyone could have considered it a twist.

Everything was predictable and fairly dull. You never learn much about the main character, so you never care much about her. Her husband was abusive in this vague way that they don’t bother to describe. “He hit me... and other stuff.” Is about as detailed as they get. Not exactly building a wall of sympathy there lady. It seems like you just got stoned and trailed off.

As direct-to-video movies go, this one isn’t totally horrible, but any fan of the genre will see every twist coming and be fairly bored by the “action” and the reliance on classic tropes.

The only good thing about the movie is that they have a dobie. We lost our Doberman, Isis, about a year ago and it made me really miss her to see another dobie up on the big screen. Gotta figure out how to talk the Mrs into letting me get another one.

RAV 03-02-2020 02:08 AM

When you go on TV Tropes, you see that everything is a trope now. They got a trope name for everything. Everything's been done a thousand times over now. But that's not really the issue, and it probably never was. It's kinda always been like that, even in the old times.

What really makes the difference is how you play with it. The details of execution. Your playfulness makes it interesting and enjoyable. Let's say, if you are a mathematician, you need to know your basic formulas you work with, but that doesn't mean your solutions for higher theorems aren't genius or that you are boring and predictable, because it's what you do with it that matters. Likewise a writer needs to know his tropes and be imaginative with it on execution of his narrative. I haven't seen Invisible Man, but my guess is that it just hasn't been executed in an interesting way, and by that I don't mean attempting to reinvent narrative structure and spite all tropes, like I don't expect a mathematician to reinvent math from the ground up when solving the Riemann hypothesis, to be immensely impressed by the solution.

I once wrote a story in which I will tell you what will happen, like a prophecy. I will point to it multiple times as well. People still liked reading it, because the details of execution made it exciting. You still felt surprised in the end by how things played out. A lot of Time Travel mystery stories are also kinda like that. You already know the end result, but it still got interesting twists you didn't see coming on how you arrive there. It's the imaginative playfulness that matters.

Take the horror genre. There are horror movies that rely on shock moments. Some surprise attack and gore. This surprise in itself is already kinda tropey. Out of nowhere some nonesense happens you didn't expect and suddenly heads fly off or some loud noise makes you jump. But as your taste matures you will be much more impressed by the director skillfully building up an atmosphere of creepiness, really getting under your skin, without relying on cheap shock value and excessive gore, but rather skillfully play with your imagination.

Another example is, let's say you write for a classic setting like D&D. Or let's say it's a cinematic. It got dragons, warriors, mages, thieves in it. It got a villain doing what villains do. It got elves and dwarves. Tentacle monsters ala Lovecraft, etc. You might say, how you ever gonna write anything interesting to that. It's all common and classic. People have seen this. But then you see the cinematics to the latest Baldur's Gate game, and are like, you know what this looks damn cool. I don't feel bored or disappointed. Because the people who did that are competent craftsmen, who don't need to rely on gimmick surprise but skillful execution. They can write to the most classic settings and still make it interesting to watch, because that's how good they really are.

I actually think it's a good test of skill, to write something of which the outcome is already known, but then still try to make it interesting. You can break down the best works you've ever seen in some simplistic description like "boy meets girl. fall in love." and then claim from that it's boring and so trope. You can break down anything like that. But that's not the point. The particular execution of the theme is. It's where all the work is really in, and what truly differentiates skill in the craft.

Our DNA is made of simple and predictable components and structures. And yet we see infinite variety of life. All of it is logically coherent in its own way. And yet there is so much of it and it's so interesting. There is really no need for nature to reinvent how DNA works. It works really well as is. And it's always good for a surprise regardless. Similar with the basic anatomic principles of bodies and organs and such.

zeonxavier 03-02-2020 07:42 PM

Pokemon Shield, and some Mario 64 DS and Game Boy Tetris.

Chimpbot 03-03-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2554479)
D3 died to me years ago.

You might want to look into Wolcen; it has a skill tree kind of like PoE, but with a fresher coat of paint.